Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the old one off and am now trying to get the new one on but it just wont work, It came with a connector that plugs right into the new MLPS but it wont plug into the connector that the old one did, The new one came with a new connector it seems with 8 holes on the top.It seems as if the wires are somehow supposed to go into the new one but I don't see how the old connector comes out How the **** does this damn thing go in? I have been trying for over an hour but am at my end of going nuts on my truck now. I need to fix this, The old MLPS is in 3 pieces from taking it out. Please help!!!!!! Does anyone have any pictures of directions or such?

·
Registered
166 Posts
hey dude i'm going to give you a little help. I just recently replaced that same switch in my 1995 Bronco. My switch didn't come with a new connector eventhough I got it from a dealership. I reused my old connector and it works fine. that could be an option for you if you original connector is in good shape. Be sure to use dielectric grease inside the switch to keep out moisture and to provide a better connection. If you want to replace the connector it is a long and tedious process. You have to get some thin hooks at a parts store and unhook the wires from inside the connector. They connect to the connector with a metal tab/clip that you have to release to pull the wire out and then push the wire into the new connector. Be sure no to mess up the wires or the order they go in or the tranny won't work. If you ned more help there is always search engines. Good luck.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant reuse the old connector since the plug in for the new one isn't the same. They are the same in the fat that they have 8 pins in both of the MLPS's but the tab and whatnot do not line up so that's not going to work I bought this part from NAPA, If I buy the part at a Ford dealer for my 94 will it just plug right in? and no wire shit involved, or am I going to have to do the same shit. Thanks for the greatly appreciated help.

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
if you have the right one, it should be the 95 upgrade, and the wiring is different, it should include a diagram to show you how to redo the wires, its a plug and play thing,

but i however recived one for a crown vic the first time i got mine, so there is a chance you got the wrong one

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I will go return it tommorow and buy one from the Ford dealer, The one from the ford dealer will have an adapter and will involve no wiring being redone I am assuming ( and hoping)? I guess I could take out the wires and put them in this one but that seems like a hackjob to me.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think it was an upgraded design, IIRC. I'm pretty sure there was a TSB on the MLPS a long time ago, hence the redesign. I seem to remember replacing a few of them when I worked for ford back in the mid 90s.

·
Super Moderator
27,254 Posts
should be just plug n play.. seen this happen for other Ford's..all people report back they just did a pin for pin swap.
one such reply:
"...The plug bodies look different but the pin locations transfer straight across. I mean that if you remove a pin in one connector it goes in the same location in the new connector. -ibuytoys..."
http://www.thedieselstop.com/archiv...776&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts