Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1996 XL 5.8
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a lot of work on the front end, so decided to replace hubs while I’m at it since I don’t know how old they are.

First I ordered mile marker, but they do not sit deep enough to allow the retaining ring on the axle shaft or the retaining ring around the outside edge of the hub to be installed. I’ve included pics of the Warn, MM, and original, plus the 3 together so you can see the difference in how they seat on the shaft.

Are these just not the correct hubs?

Camera lens Reflex camera Digital camera Camera accessory Camera
Automotive tire Camera accessory Rim Gas Bicycle part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Bicycle part
Automotive tire Rim Gas Engineering Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1996 XL 5.8
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I looked up my 96 on both warn and MM and they both came back as these hubs.

Do I need to leave out the thrust washer?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
are those auto hubs that came out? Ithink there are some nuts/washers that have to be removed when switching to manuals.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is the outer hub new? If so the aftermarket parts are not machined properly to let the locking hubs drop in.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,133 Posts
Could be the new hubs just need a little motivation to get seated..thread in a couple of the screws and then place a wooden block over top and give it a few taps..see what happens.

Reactions: BroncoSooner

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I had to send a MileMarker back because the outside hub would not slide in no matter what sort of TLC I gave it. Talked to them and they had no problem sending me a replacement that worked fine.

·
Registered
1996 XL 5.8
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so if I remove parts 15, 16, 17, and 18 (previous owners had already removed 15 and 16 on one side and 16 and 18 on the other side), the Warn hub goes in perfect. Is it ok to leave those washers out?

Font Line Handwriting Art Parallel

·
Registered
1996 XL 5.8
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For some reason, the image isn't posting. The washers are 15 (Steel Thrust Washer), 16 (Plastic Thrust Washer), 17 (Splined Thrust Washer) and 18 (C-Ring)

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,133 Posts
the only things you should have inside the hub housing besides the lockout would be the first locking nut that holds the hub to the rotor, then the lock nut retainer and the last lock nut on top of that.

Reactions: BroncoSooner

·
Super Moderator
29,031 Posts
Yo B,

Section 05-03C: Wheel Hubs and Bearings, Front Wheels, 4-Wheel Drive
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, and Bronco Workshop Manual​
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Locking Hubs, Manual
Manual Locking Hubs, F-150 and Bronco

White Font Line Art Auto part

ItemPart NumberDescription
13A329Halfshaft
23C132 (Axle)Rolling Diaphragm Seal
33299Integral Spacer Needle Bearing Seal
43123Bearing, Caged Needle
53105Front Wheel Spindle
63254Spindle Rolling Diaphragm Seal
71190Wheel Hub Grease Seal
84221Inner Wheel Bearing (with Bearing Cup — 4222)
91102Front Disc Brake Hub and Rotor
104221Outer Wheel Bearing (with Bearing Cup — 4222)
11Pin (Part of 1195)
121195Inner Lock Nut
131198Lockwasher
141197Outer Lock Nut
15Steel Thrust Washer (Part of 3B458)
16Plastic Thrust Washer (Part of 3B458)
17Splined Thrust Washer (Part of 3B458)
183B457C-Ring
191K105Hub Body
20Lock Ring (Part of 1K106)
211K104Cup
221K104Capscrew
AWhile Rotating Front Disc Brake Hub and Rotor, Tighten Inner Lock Nut to 68 Nm (50 Lb-Ft) to Seat Wheel Bearing. Back Nut Off 90 Degrees (1/4 Turn).
BTighten to 217-278 Nm (160-205 Lb-Ft)
CTighten to 4-6 Nm (35-53 Lb-In)

Removal
  1. Separate cap assembly from hub body by removing the three Torx® head capscrews.
    Font Circle Auto part Automotive wheel system Drawing

Font Auto part Circle Rim Automotive wheel system
  1. Remove the lock ring seated in the groove of the front disc brake hub and rotor (1102).
    Organism Font Circle Auto part Illustration
  1. Remove the body assembly from the front disc brake hub and rotor. If the body is difficult to remove, install two capscrews and pull the body assembly out of the front disc brake hub and rotor.
    Font Rim Circle Automotive wheel system Auto part

Installation
  1. Follow removal procedures in reverse order. Tighten three Torx® head capscrews to 4-6 Nm (35-53 lb-in).
    Do not pack the hublock body assembly or cap with grease. Excessive grease can cause excessive dialing effort and hub failure." by Ford @ 1996 Bronco/F-Series

Following by member bossind may also help:
"I couldn't find an exploded view of a warn hub so I took one a part in reverse order of assembly for reference.

Left to Right
Snap Ring, Plastic Bushing, Clutch Housing, Shim, Axles Shaft Hub, Spring, Outer Clutch, Screw.

Bushing installed

This is the direction the Outer Clutch installs, install it the other way and your hub will not engage. (I found out the hard way)

Screw holds it together.
."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts