Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First pleasure of being a homeowner :banghead

Last night noticed a wet-spot on the floor, dismissed it as my shoes were there prior and probably had snow on them. Then..noticed it again this morning, and some other spots...went into the basement and it was leaking from ~5 ceiling tiles..

My linoleum floor in my kitchen feels pretty squishy and some water is squishing up..2 spots on carpet that are noticably wet...

Called my homeowner's insurance that was extra on my signing deal on my house, so plumber will cost me 65$ IIRC...he's on his way. I guess the deal is they'll fix all the plumbing but not any secondary damage...so, hopefully nothing will need to be done, i have no idea on how subfloors and carpet damage, etc, etc work. Hopefully nothing else will need to be done :doh0715:

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Id watch out for mold build up if it is under anything that absorbs water and will hold it for a long time. Such as wood, and carpet. Grow mold, and many forms of mold are dangerous to to humans. Probably have to replace some stuff if its that bad, hope not but expect the worse.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck!

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plumber came over, it's leaking at the shower head in my master bath. It's leaked real bad in the ductwork/insulation so need an HVAC guy tomorrow. Plumber/HVAC should hopefully be out tomorrow and can get it all fixed..we'll see about the floors n stuff :banghead

the AHS home warranty people hopefully will cover the additional costs of HVAC, floor damage, etc...dunno we'll see :doh0715:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Your homeowners policy sucks, and I'm sorry to hear about the leaks. I've got 3 leaks in my roof that I've found since all the rain in the past 3-4 days. 1st, don't ever call your insurance and make a claim, unless it's a major disaster. That claim stays on the house's record for up to 5 years. Making it hard to get another insurance carrier to carry the coverage, especially if you sell the house. Since you are getting the problem fixed, keep all that paper work so you can prove to the next home owner/insurance carrier that the problem was fixed. Good luck, but why won't the insurance cover the damage of the floor/walls or whatever because of the water damage? I would check on that and get them to cover it, since it's still water damage, which was the 1st problem. Good luck.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My homeowners should cover anything that my AHS (ADDITIONAL home owners insurance that the sellers paid for on closing of my house in June) doesn't cover...the AHS coverage will at LEAST cover the primary stuff, such as new copper plumbing, plumber costs, etc. It costs me 60$ to have someone come otu and everything above that is their cost. We'll see if they'll cover the water DAMAGE as well, if not..may have to go to my homeowners insurance.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
been there joebob. that sucks, but that is part of home ownership. hopefully it gets fixed fast and is covered.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Go to this site and have someone who is certified come inspect it.

http://www.certifiedcleaners.org/water_damage.shtml

Turn up your heat, you need to get air movement in there go rent some fans from home depot. there about 25.00 a day get a couple. I am not sure how humid your climate is but the faster you get it dry the better. If it is fresh water you generally have 72hrs before you start to see mold growth.
After 72 hrs it is considered catagory 3 water (black water) and everything that has a porous surface is considered unsalvagable. (even if this is fresh tap water after 72hrs it can become very unhealthy)

FAST DRYING IS CRITICAL

I would highly reccomend getting a certified water restoration tech to come look at it.

That being said It can get very expensive. most home owners policies cover any damage caused by indoor plumbing leaks.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
don't turn up your heat. Warmth and moisture combine to make excellent conditions for the growth of mold and other fungus.

Keep your thermostat set to keep the house at a nice temperature, but get fans to move the room temperature air around the house, especially across the wet surfaces.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
don't turn up your heat. Warmth and moisture combine to make excellent conditions for the growth of mold and other fungus.

Keep your thermostat set to keep the house at a nice temperature, but get fans to move the room temperature air around the house, especially across the wet surfaces.
Heat is turned off cus of all the water in the ventwork n stuff? The plumber recommended i keep it off for now so it doesnt blow into the walls, through the house, etc....i'm rounding up space heaters and fans

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Heat is turned off cus of all the water in the ventwork n stuff? The plumber recommended i keep it off for now so it doesnt blow into the walls, through the house, etc....i'm rounding up space heaters and fans
That's even better.

The only problem is it's 10° there now isn't it?

That house will get cold quick. Do you have anywhere else to stay?

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's even better.

The only problem is it's 10° there now isn't it?

That house will get cold quick. Do you have anywhere else to stay?
Nah it was warm today, but will drp tonight..house right now is a normal 65*, it got WARM out today. maybe 55. Supposed to get up to ~63 tommorrow too, should help quite a bit, thankfully it's not stupid cold out..it drops back down to 30 as the high on tues :doh0715:

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Nah it was warm today, but will drp tonight..house right now is a normal 65*, it got WARM out today. maybe 55. Supposed to get up to ~63 tommorrow too, should help quite a bit, thankfully it's not stupid cold out..it drops back down to 30 as the high on tues :doh0715:
at least mother nature is on your side.

Black mold sucks. If they deem it unsatisfactory prepare to have you new house ripped apart.

It especially sucks if you have a leak on the second floor,through to the basement, they start tearing everything up.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Sucks ass don't it.

And I say bring on the mold. Living with it every day will build up your immunity to it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Higher heat raises the dew point and allowes the air to hold more moisture therefor pulling it out of the carpet and other surfaces. if the temperature drops the longer the effected areas stay wet and the more mold will grow.

If there is water in the ductwork that is a different story get your shopvac out and get the water out of it.the water does not stay long in the duct work as it is not water tight unless you have a downdraft system (ductwork through the floor in the basement or slab construction)

Unless you have water around your furnace area itself keep the heat up.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
If your going to increase the heat you need to use those industrial heat fans blowing at one end of the house and out a door or window at the other end. We had a school that had a sprinkler pipe break on the top floor, all the flooring and ceilings had to be replaced and they used those big industrial heater fans to dry it up really quick, with windows and doors open.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Higher heat raises the dew point and allowes the air to hold more moisture therefor pulling it out of the carpet and other surfaces. if the temperature drops the longer the effected areas stay wet and the more mold will grow.

If there is water in the ductwork that is a different story get your shopvac out and get the water out of it.the water does not stay long in the duct work as it is not water tight unless you have a downdraft system (ductwork through the floor in the basement or slab construction)

Unless you have water around your furnace area itself keep the heat up.
My ducts run above my recessed ceiling in the basement..so water has been dripping all over them and in the insulation n stuff...i don't know if it has gotten INTO the vent...safe or not safe to turn on the heater tonight? I want to get rid of the water quick I know..but don't wanna cause extra damage...

·
Registered
286 Posts
That water is going to leak out anyways the heating system does not have enough pressure to blow it out it will evaporate faster with the heat on and any areas that water leaks the air will come out of the vent as well so it will dry those areas. It is also a good idea to turn the heating system to on that way it will keep the place warm but the fan in the system blows constantly.

Make sure all your vents are open to keep pressure down and air flow up.

It is to cold to open windows and doors you want a closed enviorenment. open up all interior doors to allow for more air but keep exterior closed use lots of fans.

The only concern with water in vents is if the water has made it to the furnace. check that out first the next concern is any electrical that might be affected so if the water has made it to any light or by any outlets go shut off the breakers.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
That water is going to leak out anyways the heating system does not have enough pressure to blow it out it will evaporate faster with the heat on and any areas that water leaks the air will come out of the vent as well so it will dry those areas. It is also a good idea to turn the heating system to on that way it will keep the place warm but the fan in the system blows constantly.

Make sure all your vents are open to keep pressure down and air flow up.

It is to cold to open windows and doors you want a closed enviorenment. open up all interior doors to allow for more air but keep exterior closed use lots of fans.

The only concern with water in vents is if the water has made it to the furnace. check that out first the next concern is any electrical that might be affected so if the water has made it to any light or by any outlets go shut off the breakers.
I disagree, I'd crank the heat up and open the doors to let the moisture vent out side.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts