Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Moab was a huge success. Hopefully BoulderBronco will chime in with some more pics, etc. Dogonmut didn't 'wheel much 'cause he's a poseur and Dustin never made it 'cause his mom wouldn't give him lunch money.

There's a whole lot more on my registry page:
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=139&s=14523#content

Carnage included (but was not limited to): three Dana 60 rear shafts, one D44 front u-joint, one front d/s, one rear d/s, one Earl's braided brake line popped, one (of mine) front main leafs broke clean in two, one '78 Saginaw steering box, one BW1356 pushbutton that wouldnt' shift, one tranny cooler, a radiator hose, a starter solenoid etc etc

·
Registered
239 Posts
that is awsome, this may seem like a dumb question to you guy's, but what do you do when you break/snap/whatever driveshafts out on the trails like that? just keep going with only the front wheels engaged? but it looks like you guy's had a BLAST, i wish there was some trails around here like that, i think i might have to take a trip up to the silver lake dunes next weekend...

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JHew84 said:
that is awsome, this may seem like a dumb question to you guy's, but what do you do when you break/snap/whatever driveshafts out on the trails like that? just keep going with only the front wheels engaged? but it looks like you guy's had a BLAST, i wish there was some trails around here like that, i think i might have to take a trip up to the silver lake dunes next weekend...
You repair it if possible. If not, you get the truck driveable or "roll-able" and strap/winch out. We had to anchor the big Dodge once he broke his front d/s. 80% of the time he just pulled my Bronco downhill until we hooked two Broncos together.

I'll tell you this: once a truck is reduced to 2wd, be it front or rear drive, locker or no, low range or no, your ability on the trail is not cut by 50% but more like 70%. IOW, no matter what you have to do to carry spare u-joints and spare driveshafts (both!), it's worth it.

The Dodge didn't have a spare front d/s and what should have maybe been an hour of driving turned into three hours +. Nathan toasted his rear d/s just a short distance further and even tho he invested about $200 into his spare rear shaft it was worth every penny that day.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
you guys like leaf spring SAS's and so do i!! are all of those guys members here? if not they need to be and then let us see more of their rigs and specs!

looks like loads of fun and those are some very nice broncos!

wes

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
nice Keith. I would still really like to get out there on a trip with you guys, and I am sure a few from wt would come as well. Hopefully next summer (fall?) we can make it after I get settled in with the new department.

I love Tanya's wrenching outfit. Do the flip-flops and nail polish add a big safety factor?:thumbup

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Keith_L said:
Dogonmut didn't 'wheel much 'cause he's a poseur

You're still upset about the sticker.

Glad you guys made it home O.K.

I had to stop every 50-75 miles to re-air my tire on the way home.

I put my Boggers and other set of wheels on and hooked up with Dustin yesterday. We ran Terminator down here. When ever you guys get your butt's down here we'll run that that one as well. It kind-a makes lower Heldo seem like a dirt road. Dustin hi-centered twice and needed to be winched over the second time.

Thanks for everything you and Tonya did for the group.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
well whatever scott told you people about me not being there dont beleive it:goodfinge I was depressed all week cause I wasent in moab wheeling and had to go tear up my truck on saterday with scott to try and make up for it. I heard some good storys and sounded like you guys had a great time. whens the next trip? I want to go within the next month if possible.

cool pictures from what I can see with dial up, I hate waiting for pics to load.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Hey Keith did Mike get that door of his fixed after SD? Or was he still sporting the smashed look?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
plug ugly said:
I love Tanya's wrenching outfit. Do the flip-flops and nail polish add a big safety factor?:thumbup
Damon, I think we're gonna make this an annual thing, so plan on next October. We might move it by a week or two to avoid NAXJA (which happened while we were there) and the 24 Hours of Moab bike race which happens the next weekend. I dunno.

As for summer in Moab, be my guest! I'll be keeping cool in the Colo mtns until fall.

Seriously, the coolest thing is that fluorescent lite hanging from Dave's Bogger.........that's one of the new ARB Adventure Lights........I got it from Rade, I think they retail around $35 (don't quote me)........and even tho the name is :rainbow: they're cool as hell. Super bright, very long cord, 12V, pretty sweet little trail lite to have.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wes 03 said:
you guys like leaf spring SAS's and so do i!! are all of those guys members here? if not they need to be and then let us see more of their rigs and specs!
Myself and Nathan and Shawn are all running near identical suspensions. Shawn has front springs from an F450 which provide more arch and more lift.........but it seemed to be at the expense of available droop.

I need to find someone who got a pic of my broken front leaf on Cliffhanger........it was pretty crazy, broke near the spring plate at the thickest part of the spring. I think the bottom line is that I make my springs move in ways they were never meant to. I've got more theories and a potential solution I'm working on, I'll post more in the SAS forum eventually. Bottom line I've worked these springs hard for a little over 2 years.........worst case just consider it a wear item and replace them every two years. Since they're stock main leafs from '80-97 F250s or 350s they're everywhere in junkyards, and dirt cheap.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Looks like a good time had by all. Wished i lived out west...The florida mud, sand, mud routine is boring.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Keith_L said:
Damon, I think we're gonna make this an annual thing, so plan on next October. We might move it by a week or two to avoid NAXJA (which happened while we were there) and the 24 Hours of Moab bike race which happens the next weekend. I dunno.

I couldn't make it this year due to the lack of vacation hours but next year I'll be up to three weeks vacation so set a date and I'll be there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts