Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 96GT that I parted mostly out and have had the complete dash, heater box assembly, steering wheel/column, vehicle wiring harnesses, ECU, radiator, electric fan, and other parts laying around my garage taking up space. Anyways, I was thinking maybe this could all be swapped into my 84 full size with a 5.4L modular engine and a manual trans from a mod pickup. The engine mounts and trans mounts would be the hardest part. just need some fab work. The dash would just need a few mounting brackets fab'd up. I wouldn't think it would be all that hard, just take some time. Anybody know of anybody that has put the 94+ mustang dash into a bronco? How bout a 4.6 or 5.4L modular motor? pics, links, etc???

·
Banned
22,582 Posts
Someone posted either a link or pics of a '78 Bronco with an '05 F150 dash & 5.4L, but I can't find it.

I don't think you're gonna get a Mustang dash to look, fit, or work right in a Bronco.

GO for it, but take LOTS of pics. :thumbup

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve83 said:
Someone posted either a link or pics of a '78 Bronco with an '05 F150 dash & 5.4L, but I can't find it.

I don't think you're gonna get a Mustang dash to look, fit, or work right in a Bronco.

GO for it, but take LOTS of pics. :thumbup
Yea, it was just an idea. I haven't looked at anything yet. At the least I would like to get the complete wire harness set from a EFI bronco and covert mine over to EFI

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
holy chit.. that is a sick setup.. Damn.. Talk about taking your time and doing it right...

Mad props....

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Engine sizes (taken from FRPP catalog, 2004):

Width: 18.75"
Length: 27.5"
Height: 20.75"

Width: 21"
Height: 23.75"

Width: 26"
Length: 32"
Height: 26"

4.6 SOHC
Width: 25.625"
Length: 28"
Height: 26"

4.6 DOHC
Width: 30"
Length: 28"
Height: 29.875"

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Spectre said:
holy chit.. that is a sick setup.. Damn.. Talk about taking your time and doing it right...

Mad props....
I second the mad props. I perused the site a bit, and found that the guy that did this has a BS in manufacturing engineering. Got a lot of help from an electrical engineer (hey, that's what I'm studying! :chili: ), but still, if you look at the time and quality put into the vehicle alone, it's amazing. Better yet is that he didn't 'rig' everything to just barely work, he did it RIGHT, if there ever was such a way.

This has me thinking... My dad has his 2000 F-250 Super Duty sitting in his yard right now. It has a V-10. If a 5.4L was that much fun....:uhoh3

Got-dang, now I have motivation to graduate!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Project Lazarus said:
Engine sizes (taken from FRPP catalog, 2004):

Width: 18.75"
Height: 50.75"...
That should be a 20.75" for height if I recall, but yep, good info.

I got into an entertaining friendly discussion the other day with a 4.6SOHC owner who thought his Mod was smaller and lighter than a 5.0L powerplant That one was pretty entertaining, he'd never actually looked at or messed around at all with a 302. Kids these days. ;) Not only is the 4.6L huge, it also outweighs the 5.0L by about 80-100lb depending on whose scales you use. They may be incredibly strong and well engineered blocks (deep skirt, four bolt main, with no head bolt stress in the cylinder walls), but they're sure portly! :histerica

·
Banned
22,582 Posts
Chuck said:
...a 4.6SOHC...outweighs the 5.0L by about 80-100lb ...
Are you talking about long blocks only, or complete engines??? Having swapped & hauled both as complete assemblies, but weighed neither, my impression is that the 4.6L installed is lighter than a 5.0L installed.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
Not sure on the weights, but these mod motors are wide sob's. When under the hood of the '97, it doesn't even look proportional.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
150 Posts
Chuck said:
The 5.4, if I'm not mistaken, should be about the same width, height, and weight as a 460, but shorter lengthwise. That's going on the assumption that the 5.4 is only a couple of inches wider than the 4.6 SOHC, so I could be wrong.

seems to me a 460 belongs in there rather than a 5.4L.

:shrug

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Chuck said:
That should be a 20.75" for height if I recall, but yep, good info.
Thanks, fixed.:thumbup

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Steve83 said:
Are you talking about long blocks only, or complete engines??? Having swapped & hauled both as complete assemblies, but weighed neither, my impression is that the 4.6L installed is lighter than a 5.0L installed.

I'm talking complete assembly, but I haven't personally verified these numbers either. I had the 5.0L with the Mustang manifolds in mind, which is lighter by a few pounds than the truck version, though not by much. I'm trying to scare up a hoist scale at a reasonable cost somewhere, since I've pretty much got at least one of all of these powertrains around the house. :histerica I'd actually be willing to take the hour to pull the 5.0L back out of the Bronco when the cab is back off just to weigh it, and we're getting ready (possibly this summer, hopefully sooner) to dismantle a 92 Vic with an F1AE Windsor-bellhousing pattern block that I can weigh as an assembly if I can just get a scale.

I've seen numbers for these things that range all over the place, so it's a hard call on what to trust.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Now I am not a complete expert by any means, but i did this same search on google and yahoo. i came up with alot of stuff for mustangs and for what ever reason they were still leaning towards the 351. But even knowing this i think it is a great idea. especially with the 3 valve one, or if possible import a DOHC from Australia or something. If you have the money to do it.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
Heres a pic to show ya what the mods look like. Thanks to Neal from f150online.

Adrianspeeder

1 - 20 of 26 Posts