Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wifey bought me a nice 60 gal aircompressor a few weeks ago.

I have used it .. maybe .. 6 times.

when i am done, and i drain the tank, moisture blows out the stopcock.

is that normal? i think it is.

thank.s
mj

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
yes...make sure to get a water trap and install that right at the output of the compressor...it will help keep your air tools usable.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Yup. A friend installed an 80 in his garage, and NEVER drained it. I asked him about it, he didn't know you needed to do it. I got at least a gallon of water out of that thing.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Run an extension and put a ball valve on to make it easy to drain.

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you mean off the bottom of the tank, that would be genius. that stopcock is such a PITA to get to.

i like it, thanks.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
np:thumbup

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
We have a timer and solenoid on our lab one that dumps it for a few secs every 20 mins or so.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I'm the guy that reminds everyone to drain theirs regularly, but I never remember to do it myself. I probably crack the valve open once every 6 months and get a 3 or 4 ounces of water out.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Keep doing what your doing, except drain it before use....
No, no, no. Drain it after you are done, or daily (which ever applies) and then leave the valve open. If you only drain it before use, you are not only leaving that water sitting in the bottom of your tank which will cause rust, but you shouldn't leave air in your tank for an extended period of time.

Like Tim said, use a water seperator. I have a link for "the best way" to reduce moisture, but it is for a shop set up, but you could also incorperate it into a smaller set up.

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
has any one mounted a water seperator between the pump and tank? i was eyeballing my setup yesterday and thought that would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Yeah thats what most places that rely on compressors do. You'll see the lubricator, filter and a water seperator right on the line out of the tank.

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
what if you had the water seperator between the pump and tank and the lubricator on the line going out of the tank? would that help cut down on getting water in the tank?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
what if you had the water seperator between the pump and tank and the lubricator on the line going out of the tank? would that help cut down on getting water in the tank?
No, because once the compressor is warmed up, the moisture in the air going into the tank is still a gas, but once it goes into the tank it condenses and the moisture is formed. However, I find even with the water separator, I have moisture coming out of my tools, during peak usage. I was thinking of mounting the water separator farther from the compressor, giving the air more time to cool down during peak use times.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
No, because once the compressor is warmed up, the moisture in the air going into the tank is still a gas, but once it goes into the tank it condenses and the moisture is formed. However, I find even with the water separator, I have moisture coming out of my tools, during peak usage. I was thinking of mounting the water separator farther from the compressor, giving the air more time to cool down during peak use times.
Mount it further away and then make a "U" shape in your piping, steel or w/e you're using, with a petcock or ball valve going down..that way water gets trapped in the "U" and the filter catches the leftovers

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Mount it further away and then make a "U" shape in your piping, steel or w/e you're using, with a petcock or ball valve going down..that way water gets trapped in the "U" and the filter catches the leftovers
I can't see that working too well, although at first it sounds like a good idea if you are going to town with some air tools, I can't see that working too well. It did make me think about it for a minute though.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
I can't see that working too well, although at first it sounds like a good idea if you are going to town with some air tools, I can't see that working too well. It did make me think about it for a minute though.
Why wouldn't it? There is moisture in the air...and having a low spot..when water starts condensating out it'll get stuck in the pipe..and fall down, into the lower portion of the U to be drained. This is upposed to having the air go straight into a filter.

like this
----------______________Filter
l----------l
l----------l
l----------l
l_________l
Pet (my)^Cock

If you got the leg here ^ at an angle it would be even better..further away from the tank the less condensation, and will help at least somewhat...

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Why wouldn't it? There is moisture in the air...and having a low spot..when water starts condensating out it'll get stuck in the pipe..and fall down, into the lower portion of the U to be drained. This is upposed to having the air go straight into a filter.

like this
----------______________Filter
l----------l
l----------l
l----------l
l_________l
Pet (my)^Cock

If you got the leg here ^ at an angle it would be even better..further away from the tank the less condensation, and will help at least somewhat...
Just making a U wont work, like I said it will still be forced through to the seperator by the force of the air behind it. Idealy, what you want to do is run the line up from the tank to say the ceiling and then run it down at a couple of degrees so that water condensing will work it's way to the seperator and not back to the tank. Simply installing a U wont do it. You can try it, but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
at work we had 4 big (squared off) PVC U's
they do catch water, they were about 6-8 ft each, we also had a big drop that collected water before a hose that ran across the yard
and on top of that we had an filter/seperator thing someone decided to mount 18ft in the air:scratchhe where none of our ladders could get to it without moving all the welding machines and the welding table:banghead

oh yeah our lines from the compressors entered the shop about 12 ft off the ground

1 - 20 of 25 Posts