Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
didnt find a whole lot on them here... searching at pirate... anyone got one in there rig???

thinking about adding one in the back of the truck or maybe under the rear seat... whatcha think... my heat works well in the truck... im usually comfortable but the g/f sitting in the passenger seat is usually chilly in the winter and the back seat is cool... i dont think the top insulates very well...

i need double the airflow coming out of the vents and id be happy...

but anyways whats the take on a rear mojave(obviously it needs plumbed) heater???

a mojave at summit

dc

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
i say get a hoseline A/C and heat unit, i used to replace and install them, if you put one in a bronco i bet you'd be able to freeze a whole deer in there and then cook it by switching to heat
prolly a bit overkill, though

the mojave looks simple though, simple is good, you going to do something like sixlitre's hidden storage to house it? that'd look trick
the second one just looks like it has a plenum for routing hoses so you don't have to put the entire unit open in the front

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the second pic is an add on to the first... just vents... i may be able to sneak it into a hidden storage area under the seat... i feel like that will burn the ankles off my back seat passengers... im thinking about installing it in the back of the truck(trunk area) facing forward... from what ive heard these things kick some SERIOUS heat and CFM...theres one at jcwhitney that makes 263CFM...

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alot of buggy guys are running them and say they are WARM... most said if you had an enclosed cab it would bake you out of it... i think one guy did have one... hang on

this one from jcwhitney is supposivley the best...263 CFM on high and like 26k BTU

one of many pirate threads on them :
heaters

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the difficult part is plumbiong them... i think the best way would be to T off right at the manifold and run it parralel with the factory heater core... i want to retain mine and dont want them in a loop... if the coolant gets hot and goes through the rear heat before the front, then the front wont be at full temp(and vice versa)
T off at the manifold and run down the frame rail, into the rear heater and come back into the return line from the stock heater core...

im thinking of welding up some 3/4"ID tubing down the inside of the frame rails to hold the fluid... since ill be boxing that all in...
something like this...however this works a little different since i think hes rear mounting his radiator... i think id need a return line here too rather than a single tube

ill also be running 1x1 up top for wiring...

dc

edit.. come to think of it i may run the coolant tubes outside of the box... they are easier to access there and theres not really anything but the exhaust there anyway... we will see

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
wouldn't it be cheaper to get rid of the girlfriend? ;)

If you install it, take plenty of pictures and do a tech write up on it, i'd definitely be interested to see how you do it.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
the second pic is an add on to the first... just vents... i may be able to sneak it into a hidden storage area under the seat... i feel like that will burn the ankles off my back seat passengers... im thinking about installing it in the back of the truck(trunk area) facing forward... from what ive heard these things kick some SERIOUS heat and CFM...theres one at jcwhitney that makes 263CFM...
okay, i didn't see the second picture last night
looks like it has vents and hose outlets

i wish i had pics, at work i installed a heat and A/C unit in the rear corner of a quigley 4x4 van, it had 4 hose outlets that we ran to a partition wall we built in the van. the plumbing is easy and T or Y conectors will work just fine mounting them in paralell, it's really not a difficult install other than deciding where you want your hoses and figuring out how to cover it up if you decide to hide the unit

it may seem to not work at first but you have to remember it has to get water back there which sometimes requires revving the engine and being sure it's topped off

also i reccomend putting in a pair of valves so you don't have hot water going to it in the summer when you're trying to cool the truck
we do vacum operated at work but you can also install manual ones but you have to get out and open the hood and open the valves (i have seen them under the truck though)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
blown has a mojave.

The add on plenum is really if you wanna have defrost capabilities.

I think it's overkill. Make some heated seats.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,685 Posts
Get one for a big enclosed forklift. The ones we have at work really crank out the heat, and its a small square unit like the one in davebmxer's pic.

That said....if ya ask me, there is something wrong with your heat. The heat in my bronco cranks so fawkin hot that i dont really need to use the defroster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts