Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

701 - 717 of 717 Posts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
Would you happen to know the weight distribution of you rig?
F/R:
50/50?
60/40?
40/60?

Doors look great! 🥃
Don't know, but I figure 60 front, 40 rear. Could get more even when the tank is full.

When I get finished, I'll take it to some scales.

SOFA-KING BAD-ASS!!!
Thanks Pepe'

·
Registered
628 Posts
So JELLY......... had to stop looking because my wife thought I was having a stroke do to all the drool dripping down my chin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It may seem like a minor thing, but getting working roll up glass windows into door that you hand fabbed should earn you some kind of award for patience and perseverance. Nice work once again!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
So JELLY......... had to stop looking because my wife thought I was having a stroke do to all the drool dripping down my chin.
Thanks Mojo

It may seem like a minor thing, but getting working roll up glass windows into door that you hand fabbed should earn you some kind of award for patience and perseverance. Nice work once again!
Yea, I thought it was minor.......until I tried it. Lol. There just doesn't seem to be much support for this kind of thing. I guess the hotrod boys always start with something. The door handles and linkage are giving me fits now.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,633 Posts
These are the stock springs. The perches are off the TTB. It’s funny the stock bolts were not long enough to hold the perch. But the TTB axle pivot bolts were exactly the right size. In any case, I might be changing the sprigs/perches in the future. (maybe even the buckets) But for now, it’s OK.

Are the Bronco coil set up as such that said coils are vertical?

Or are they splayed like in your pic?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
Are the Bronco coil set up as such that said coils are vertical?

Or are they splayed like in your pic?
I've changed all that to airbags now, but when I was using the springs, they were kind of splayed out. (Not terrible)

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,633 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think it would be fine, but I didn't do much testing.
Pshhhh.....testing is for guys that don’t have confidence in there abilities...... or is for guys that want to live?! I can’t remember??? You do any hard stop testing on that thing yet? May I suggest a few strategically placed GoPro cameras strapped to the under carriage for some hard braking test as well as turning suspension flex testing.
THAT THING IS BADASS!!! Btw

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
Pshhhh.....testing is for guys that don’t have confidence in there abilities...... or is for guys that want to live?! I can’t remember??? You do any hard stop testing on that thing yet? May I suggest a few strategically placed GoPro cameras strapped to the under carriage for some hard braking test as well as turning suspension flex testing.
THAT THING IS BADASS!!! Btw
Yes, I have done some panic stops. Brakes will lock all four tires. Even seems to lock them at the same time. I was kind of surprised because I don't have any proportional valve. Didn't have a GoPro, but did it on a dirt road and measured all the skid marks. It will stop faster than my DD Bronco on a paved road. I can hardly lock the tires on it (Bronco) because of the 38's and stock brakes. On the project, one ton brakes with hydro boost has no problem stoping 46's. Of course, the project is a lot lighter than the trucks the brakes were designed for.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
This update is very small for how much work it was. (And still going on)

First, after the success of the pax window, I made a template for the driver's door. Took it to the glass place and they sent it off. A week later it was back. When I tried it, the holes were in the wrong place. I figured I would put it in anyways to check the fit. Didn't fit right. I marked where it needed changed and gave it back to them. I knew they had to make a new piece of glass to get the holes right. (Their fault) I told them I would be happy to pay half the cost to get the fit better.

It came back in a week at no charge. The holes were in the right place, but the rest was exactly the same. Arggg. So I took it back and sent it out again. At home I got to thinking about it and decided to check the pax glass out better. On closer inspection, it was about 1/8" to narrow. It works, but really not as nice as it could. I guess when it get the drivers back, I'll be dropping off the pax again.

Now, on to the door handles. I liked the door handles on the early Chevy trucks. They are just a simple design with the key lock incorporated in it. I bought one at an auto parts store to try. It was a fair amount of work to mount because it mounts with two screws at differnt angles. I don't know why engineers do stuff like that.

I rigged up a bell-crank wheel to operate the latch. Another to operate the lock. The lock was a PITA because the stock arm did not go the right way for my application. So I made a wheel for it.

The latch worked great, but the lock not so much. I could lock and unlock the latch with the key, but the key can only be removed in the center of its travel. At that location, the lock is not engaged. I ended up slotting the wheel on the tumbler. This allows the key to move the mechanism to lock or unlock and then slides in the slot back to center to remove the key.

Not sure if you can see the slot here.

Since it all worked, I went back to the auto parts store to get the other handle. Guess what? They don't sell the other side. I went to three parts stores and all of them only have drivers side. Arrrgg. I guess the pax side never wares out.

So I ordered one on e-bay. GM made this style handle on late 90's trucks. In the early 2000's they made almost exactly the same handle except it's about 1/2" shorter. Of course, I ordered the wrong one. Arrrg. Nobody would ever know the differnce on each side of the truck....................but me. So order another one.

Finally, I have two handles with locks that work.

I still have to work out the inside releases and lock buttons. The buttons should be easy, but Ive allready tried and failed on one design of release handle. But that's another update.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Loving it so far, you an engineer by trade?

·
Registered
628 Posts
In a past life.
So your like me... you look at something and your voice in your head stops telling you what to do and starts thinking about 15-20 ways to fix something.... I have literally been talking to someone and they say “I’m planning on doing this but not sure exactly how” then my brain pops out about 5 different ways to do it in 5 seconds and there like “ ohh my god how did you figure that out” not tooting my own horn cuz sometimes is just plain annoy thinking about ways to improve shit I really don’t care about!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #716
Ok, I'm suppose to be finishing the doors. But I've tried four differnt inside door handles and I can't make any of them work. So rather than keep working on that, I moved on to something else.

I wanted a back window so I could have some view out the back. I realize it won't be real useful because the truck is so tall. The other thing I wanted was a "hatch" that I could crawl through to get from the cab to the bed of the truck.

First thing to do is make a frame to stiffen up the rear bulkhead. I had to do some experiments to cut and bend the aluminum angle. I found that just cutting a pie shape out would crack. I figured out if you drill a hole, file the hole out both ways just a little, it doesn't crack when bent.

After figuring that out cut up a long angle.

Bent it up and welded, I have a frame.

I mounted the frame and traced the center.

After cutting it out, I confirmed I can crawl in and out.

Next, I made some ribs on the inside to frame out and stiffen the back wall.

Alittle more sheet metal and I have a wide strong sill.

This sill is easy to crawl over with any sharp edges to cut or catch on your clothes on.

Next update, the window hatch.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
So I made a template of the window/hatch.

I made it out of .063" aluminum. It wasn't stiff enough, so I got the aluminum angle back out. This time I wanted the angle bent with an outside bend, so I got the beadroller going.

Rolling the edge to make it bend is hard work and takes some time. Eventually I had a frame.

I couldn't find any latches I liked, so I made some I didn't like.

They look pretty crude, but work OK. Note the cheap handle I happened to have around.

On the bottom, I just have two tabs that slide into the frame. I was riveting the hatch together when I got to looking at the tabs. I really think they look like an afterthought.

Since they will be seen from the outside, I had to change them.

It works and looks good. (By my standards)

Right now I just have some scrap rubberstrip around it. But that makes the latches hold securely.

701 - 717 of 717 Posts