Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting enough I'm sure this has come up before but SMOOTH and I were discussing a mod that would help when pushing through mud. On our hunting trip we gunned through quite a few big mudholes only to come out blinded by muddy windshield.. unfortunately you have to take your hand off steering wheel to turn your wipers/washers on to clear the yuk... We talked about wiring up a momentary switch on the floor.. much in effect like the headlight/low/high beam switch but momentary.. you could put your foot down and it would turn on/foot off switch off..... what would be great is to keep factory switch wiring in place and to just add the momentary on floor....maybe just wire the momentary to run only at full speed? any body know how to do it? :beer

·
Still Learnin!
504 Posts
Go to radio shack get a 12v push switch or even better a button starter switch. Wire it to a fuse link with a hot lead then to the wiper motor high side and over to the washer fluid pump. all done....

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
sounds like you need to turn the wipers on before you get to into the mud hole :twak

unless you are Baja racing at 130mph I really wouldn't be too concerned about turning the wipers on :shrug ............. unless of course you are incredibly lazy

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
This is probably useless information but Ford Transit vans (70s) sold in New Zealand had a rubber bulb on the floor that squirted washer fluid. It also had a switch in it that gave 2 or 3 wipes. I haven't seen any Transit vans here but there maybe other vehicles that had a similar system.

HTH

Tim

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
not a bad idea. you could use foot switches for alot of things really. rock lights come to mind.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Run +12 volts to the following wires:
Dark Blue / Orange = Wipper motor High
Black / White = Washer pump

Colors apply to 1980-96 Trucks, possibly earlier, can't conferm
I think it would be best to hook up to the wipper motor after the governer if you got the interval stuff. Also use a DPDT switch or diodes or you'll make the washer pump run when you turn on the normal switch. :duh

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Damager said:
unless you are Baja racing at 130mph I really wouldn't be too concerned about turning the wipers on :shrug ............. unless of course you are incredibly lazy
No Baja racing, but I do enjoy the speed. It just got a little scary at times cause there would be a turn or a river beside the road after the mud hole. Turning the switch on before hand is along the same reason we were interested in the floor switch, keeping both hands on the wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts