Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went with the Monsta after careful consideration. I wanted FMJ but this was way cheaper and yet still very good. A ton of guys on the Heep Forum are running it in their tubs, that is an epic thread with any info you would want to know but I'll post a couple pics. I've ran FMJ, Linex, Herculiner and now Monsta in various vehicles. It blows herculiner away for sure.

pics expired

Comes packaged real good and website is very professional! I think they sell it locally in many places but I never heard of it until recently. There is a link to all the localities on their website.

I'll post of a couple pics tomorrow, I'm burnt today. I would say I would do a write up on the process, but this was so easy it is self explanatory. Anyone could do this if they wanted to get rid of old carpet. I wouldn't hesitate to use this stuff again. If anyone runs this make sure you put a few thin coats instead of trying to go thick. That's about my only tip, other then maybe do all the prep right and the rolling goes easy.

Pro's-
Price, way cheaper then Linex or FMJ.
Great texture.
Close to a Factory look.
Forms a great hard coat!
Ease of use.
Easy to clean or wipe, doesn't have bumps like herculiner.
Great thorough kit if you get the 2 gallon, has everything you need except a drill for mixing.
Long pot life! When you put the catalyst in you have at least 10 hours before you can't use it. It dries on the Bronco in around 5 minutes, but good for a second coat in about 1 hour.

Cons-
Roller starts to degenerate towards the end of rolling, nothing major.
I wished they had 4 half gallon cans instead of 2 gallon cans.
Not as sound deadening as carpet.
Application goes easier if you have two people, so plan on losing some of the beer in that fridge if you got a buddy would doesn't mind lending a hand.

I have a couple questions for the rest of my build if anyone has input or wants to save me a search

I'm looking for a good flat or satin type paint for all the plastic paneling if anyone knows of any or any good threads on it.

I'm also thinking of DashTex for the dash if anyone has tried it?

I'm taking any seat cover recommendations too.

My goal is to have this thing done up nice by the end of summer!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
When I installed my a-piller gauges, i painted both a-pillers and the piece across the top of the windshield black, and i used Vatozone's interior spray. Dont remember what brand it was, but it was pretty inexpensive, about 3 or 4 bucks, and it's worked great. hasnt faded at all, dried in a day and has no lingering smell of paint at all. It is gloss tho... I'd use it again.

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Have you ever used or seen someone use Durabak? If so, how does Monsta compare?
I was going in this direction before finding Monsta, but I heard too many people that said the Durabak fades in my searches. I wanted it for the color choice specifically, but soon Monsta will also have colors I here. I actually really dig the black, I like the transitions. I'm glad I choose the black and Monstaliner. So much better then old carpet in my opinion.

zrxw13 if you remember that paint let me know.

Thanks for the props and advice guys, I guess I'm just going to have to jump in and paint the trim. I'll do a search and find something. A few last follow up shots. I also am going to build a box for behind the seats and will be flush with the floor. It wont be too deep but it will be useful and cover up the exposed wiring behind seats and give me a little extra space for packing stuff in there.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
it looks real good. the road noise is ridiculous now. you will hear everything. What i did is peal and seal and then laid the carpet back over it. works well and has for the last oh 3 years i would guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you end up using all 2 gallons or do you think the 1 gallon kit would be enough? I want to do the same to the floor in my bronco. It looks good

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
it looks real good. the road noise is ridiculous now. you will hear everything. What i did is peal and seal and then laid the carpet back over it. works well and has for the last oh 3 years i would guess.
No BS here, I even put in some of the insulation and the carpet and its crazy loud still. I plan on getting some of the peal and seal stuff like you said and do the whole cab, doors and tailgate to quite everything down some.

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THATSaBIGone503, that's a great tip and looks good thanks. Burly digs the two tone!

V8Nate, That was two coats and used about 3/4s of the gallon, definitely one will do the job. I'm using the second gallon on a friends truck. The stuff has a great pot life, it turns out it still isn't hard in the container yet but the surface on the Bronco is rock hard. I'm messing around today and doing a few spots for the f of it. Follow the jeep forum or ford forum, he runs specials. I got free chassis saver and free shipping, and of course no tax. Also, just get two extra rollers, it is the key to the whole system. Use one roller per half of bronco, one for the front and a fresh one for the back, then you will need two more for second coat. Last thing, that MEK solvent works great with this stuff. I got mine at OSH, but I'm sure they sell it somewhere local to you.

As for the noise, when I pulled the carpet up man it was loud. The liner seams to deaden it a bit, but again definitely not as sound deadening as carpet. it doesn't bother me much at all though, and I like not having carpet.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
I haven't had carpet for almost ten years. You get used to it.

I really like the finish of this Monsta stuff. Way better lookin than Herculiner (used it). I will definitely use this stuff if I do it myself.

Thanks Mike :thumbup

·
Registered
8 Posts
THATSaBIGone503, that's a great tip and looks good thanks. Burly digs the two tone!

V8Nate, That was two coats and used about 3/4s of the gallon, definitely one will do the job. I'm using the second gallon on a friends truck. The stuff has a great pot life, it turns out it still isn't hard in the container yet but the surface on the Bronco is rock hard. I'm messing around today and doing a few spots for the f of it. Follow the jeep forum or ford forum, he runs specials. I got free chassis saver and free shipping, and of course no tax. Also, just get two extra rollers, it is the key to the whole system. Use one roller per half of bronco, one for the front and a fresh one for the back, then you will need two more for second coat. Last thing, that MEK solvent works great with this stuff. I got mine at OSH, but I'm sure they sell it somewhere local to you.

As for the noise, when I pulled the carpet up man it was loud. The liner seams to deaden it a bit, but again definitely not as sound deadening as carpet. it doesn't bother me much at all though, and I like not having carpet.
thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
As far as plastic paneling paint goes, color bond vinyl, plastic and leather paint is the way to go. I have used on many junk yard pieces, and it has made them all look brand new. You can get it for pretty cheap from summit.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts