Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those things are massive. 4 lbs each and rated at 10,000 lbs. i didnt know if the price was good, but these guys usually have great deals.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
10,000 pounds isn't massive. I carry a couple 14,000 pounders that aren't that big. If you use rigging shackles they seem to be smaller than equivalent farm implement parts (which are also lower in quality.) Rigging shackles are also easier to use since the pin threads into the shackle itself, you don't have to keep track of the clip or nut. Virtully all hardware stores carry a variety of shackles.

·
3,420 Posts
Larston said:
10,000 pounds isn't massive. I carry a couple 14,000 pounders that aren't that big. If you use rigging shackles they seem to be smaller than equivalent farm implement parts (which are also lower in quality.) Rigging shackles are also easier to use since the pin threads into the shackle itself, you don't have to keep track of the clip or nut. Virtully all hardware stores carry a variety of shackles.
that's what i was thinking, the shackles i carry are just 3/4" which have the pin thread directly into the shackle. they are also rated at 6.5ton working load. got them for $8 at farm and fleet. they have alot bigger ones than i got too.

·
FSB warrior
6,116 Posts
Im sorry but that guy said "easily will handle 10,000lbs," like thats a lot. Im gonna venture to guess he was guessing... and WAY off. If his claim is right and they come on 5 ton 6x6's, tanks etc, they are probably more like 25K...

Thats an awsome price, my 3/4" clevis's are 17.00 around here :wacko

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like it does thread in. maybe the cotter is just a keeper? :shrug

edit: oh you mean thread into the shackle itself? instead of a nut?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
welndmn said:
Crappy desgin'd one.
Get on that threads in, ot have a hitch pin.
A cotter key is a problem waiting to happen.
Agreed

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Joes93Bronco said:
looks like it does thread in. maybe the cotter is just a keeper? :shrug

edit: oh you mean thread into the shackle itself? instead of a nut?
yes.

the ones I have, which are mostly what I see for sale, are threaded on one side of the clevis U. So you only have 2 parts. 3/4" for these is rated 4 3/4 T WLL if I recall correctly, which is just shy of 10k working load, so there is substantial safety still built into these. And ya got yer ones made in China, and ones made in da USA....

that's a nice price but I would lose or throw away that little cotter pin, because every time you go to use to the shackle you end up having to mess with those little pieces.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
CJW said:
If I get a couple I'm just going to weld that nut to the d-ring. Then no problems of losing it.

Cameron
Bad idea. There is a good chance that welding that could weaken it. If the small parts bother you, go buy the other style.

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
welndmn said:
Crappy desgin'd one.
Get on that threads in, ot have a hitch pin.
A cotter key is a problem waiting to happen.

i dont understand how a cotter key is a problem waiting to happen. half of the C-130's nuts are held in place by cotter keys...never had a problem with them. Granted those aren't castlated nuts.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Bad idea. There is a good chance that welding that could weaken it. If the small parts bother you, go buy the other style.
Even if you just tacked it on each flat side of the nut? That would only be 6 tacks.

Cameron

1 - 18 of 18 Posts