Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick question for you guys

after installing new ball joints how much drag/ resistance should be in the knuckle from side to side?

reason i ask is i went to install ball joints last weekend and my passenger side knuckle seems to have appropriate resistance when torqued to correct specs (70ft lbs lower and 100ft lbs upper) however the driver side when torqued to spec doesn't allow any movement at all side to side.

whats it supposed to feel like?

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
quick question for you guys

after installing new ball joints how much drag/ resistance should be in the knuckle from side to side?

reason i ask is i went to install ball joints last weekend and my passenger side knuckle seems to have appropriate resistance when torqued to correct specs (70ft lbs lower and 100ft lbs upper) however the driver side when torqued to spec doesn't allow any movement at all side to side.

whats it supposed to feel like?
There was a method for measuring it on here somewhere. But you should be able to turn the knuckle by hand. IIRC your supposed to torque the upper and lower ball joints in sequence to obtain the correct preload or it will be too tight.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for the response i feel good about the passenger ball joints then as its just as you described, (turns freely).

i was unable to find a method for measuring them...i did torque lower first then upper as described in the moog directions to correct ft lbs

i finally just re-ordered an upper moog ball joint, i think the one i got was manufacture defect out of the box, i noticed the threads would turn when the knuckle turned and drive the cotter pin into the sides of the crown nut and no other ball joint did that.

is there anything special about the upper threaded insert? i replaced the old ones with new ones and put in same exact position, but didnt know if these had any adjustment to them and would it would be/ how it would affect things. (if it were screwed in more or less)

i found this thread that answered these questions http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147460 in case anyone needs it, ill be redoing my passenger side as well to make sure threaded insert is torqued correctly and in sequence

hopefully new upper will solve my problem and get it feeling like the passenger side

thanks

update -- i ended up torquing lower ball joint first to spec (I think 70) then the adjusting sleeve to 25-30 ft lbs then the upper to spec 90-100lbs and both sides feel good. drives straight and steering is tighter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts