Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to let everyone know, I've been chattin' with Broncoska about our upcoming electric to manual Tcase swaps. He intends to snap a bunch of pics, as well I, and of course I got all the links to past coverage of this so that hopefully it can be placed as a sticky on "how to" general Tcase resfresh, as well as swap from electric to manual, and for me hopefully hookup of electrical wiring so the idiot lights (4x4 and low) work. But one thing I have discovered important to some:

There were numerous shifters used over the years. Obviously the shifter for a manual tranny vs. auto is likely a bit different (shifter assembly and/or the linkage length), but also the E4OD specifically changed shifters somewhere along the line. Broncoska is receiving his shifter assembly from a place in Canada and is very reasonable in price....pretty much your standard stamped steel assembly, bolted with 1BOLT into the E4OD. My E4OD (1995 Bronco) uses 2 Bolts that are I think T45 (about a 7/16th bolt). This shifter assembly has some kinda plunger operation and is made partly of aluminum (see pic below). This is the "updated" version, and also the one prone to breakage, unfortunately for me. So, they are difficult to come by, and also VERY expensive. The dealer wants several hundred dollars for one. The same place Broncoska is getting his "old style" shifter from I had price the one I need....It will run me $145 just for the used plunger/shift mechanism assembly.:shocked

So, I am seriously considering redrilling some holes on the old style shifter and seeing if that will work since I can get everything for under a hundred. If I can get that to work, course I'll document it so others can make the switch to. Can ya imagine going to all the trouble to make the swap to a reliable manual shift only to have the updated/expensive version break on you.:cry :banghead

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DcSkater602 said:
yo shadofox...if ur still interested in the linkage off my 89 i can get it this week...

dc
I might be, but last we spoke you were going to grab a few pics...:popc1:

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,355 Posts
Shadow, is that the linkage that you have to push down to shift into N and 4 LO? The one that is prone to breakage?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GTRider245 said:
Shadow, is that the linkage that you have to push down to shift into N and 4 LO? The one that is prone to breakage?
I would have to have it in front of me to answer. Basically the shift is like all other manuals. This one might help leverage wise, but basically the link at the Tcase end is just like always, it just rotates. As you pull back the shift lever, it pulls the Tcase linkage forward, which rotates a thick steel plate inside the case. This plate is notched out to accept each movement and position the engagement sprockets, etc. into their proper place for each setting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you look closely at the picture on the bottom near the sticker you can just barely make out the detent pin.It is the type you have to push down,but I have seen some worn so bad that where you normally have to push down there is a ramp worn into it so you no longer have to push it down.I have seen alot of them break at the top shoulder where the bolt goes through,usually because of the shifter siezing due to lack of lubrication.I have also seen one of the idiots that works for me snap one because he didn't know he had to push it down and just yanked the hell out of it and broke it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jayrus said:
If you look closely at the picture on the bottom near the sticker you can just barely make out the detent pin.It is the type you have to push down,but I have seen some worn so bad that where you normally have to push down there is a ramp worn into it so you no longer have to push it down.I have seen alot of them break at the top shoulder where the bolt goes through,usually because of the shifter siezing due to lack of lubrication.I have also seen one of the idiots that works for me snap one because he didn't know he had to push it down and just yanked the hell out of it and broke it.
So is that detent pin more of a safety feature? So junior doesn't decide to yank back on the shifter while pops is driving down the highway? Trying to understand why ford decided to quit with the simple stamped steel shifter...no plunger, no cast aluminum. Hopefully I can easily adapt one of those. Others I've spoke to that are experieneced with this type of shifter all mention the same issues as you, which makes me want to avoid it.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
as shadow mentioned above, i am in process of gathering everything for the swap.
i have recieved the case (thanks to 3006banger, great guy), and all the fixins to make this happen.
when sourcing parts for my 1990 case to 1993 e4od swap i discovered from ford technical that there are a few different shifters available. the plunger variety and a straight shifter (iron bar and linkage type) which goes to who i dont know. for me luckily enough the straight shifter (ie no plunger) is what i am going to use.

all i am waiting on for now is a new oil pump for the transfer case. everything on the case seem fine, i havent opened it yet(gulp) but will to do the oil pump swap and likely will do the welding mod on the oil pump also. i will take buttloads of pics during this entire project so that everyone else can see how this is going to go down.

talk to y'all soon

jason

·
Banned
19,157 Posts
BOTH styles of shifter have a detent plate & pin, and BOTH use at least 2 mounting bolts. This diagram shows the later style of plate.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aready got that page bookmarked Steve. That's about the best exploded view I've seen, plus it has all the torque specs.

Broncoska...can you snap a pic of the bolt location on your E4OD that would be for the shifter guide plate?

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,355 Posts
So if the detent pin is broke or cut off will you then be able to shift straight into N and Low range without pushing the shifter down first?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
i will get a pic of it tomorrow morning and get it posted. i do think howerver that there is only one mounting hole and it is directly adjacent to the e4od shift linkage.
the second transmission adapter that i got has two holes however.
you can see it here.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Make sure you take plenty of pics:thumbup

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
plenty o pics have arrived.
i just posted several pics onto my superford site. but to save you the trouble here is the shot of the tranmission mounting bungs, that the shifter plate will attach to...

·
Premium Member
556 Posts

i have two of these mounting plates, i am not sure which one i should use for the swap, both of them came with 1356 shifters, both are for the e4od, both match up to the mounting holes.
i am going to refer to my ford cd and some of steve83's diagrams, to see what i can come up with.

i am beginning to think of using heim joints for the shift linkage after i get it installed and operating as a retrofit. i have done a search, but it doesn't seem like anyone has that posted, but i am sure someone has done it already.
the linkage for the shifter is a flat stamped bar, made of maybe 1/8th inch steel or something. i think it maybe better to have some adjustability. i am thinking this through and looking at some catalogs, thinking of what i may be able to fabricate.
anybody already done this? with heims?

·
Banned
19,157 Posts
That 1st photo above looks WAAY too far forward on the trans to me. AFAIK, the shifter bolts to the extension, but I might have only paid attention to the older ones.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The shifter mounting holes for the E4OD are that far forward so that the shifter lines up with the hole in the floor boards(the E4OD is longer than the other transmissions-this info is for people who don't know this)

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bronco1 said:
The shifter mounting holes for the E4OD are that far forward so that the shifter lines up with the hole in the floor boards(the E4OD is longer than the other transmissions-this info is for people who don't know this)
That's right. The two holes are actually in the E4OD, right under the floorboard cutout, not in the tranny adapter.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts