Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But this one has to do with the lock ring.
1992 with the 33 gallon tank

My fuel tank is leaking from the top of the lock ring and I am 99% sure that the rubber O ring either become torn or somehow slipped the last time I messed with it.
Now, the last time I had it apart was when I tried to fix the sending unit. I discovered a "yellow" wire had fallen off so now, instead of reading full all the time, it reads empty all the time. At least I know I am getting power to the gauge.
But, trying to put that lock ring back on had me madder then a Muslim at a BBQ.
Is there some kind of a special tool or some other neeto trick that is used to get all four sides of the ring to slip under the tabs at the same time?
BTW, I already have the access panel cut out.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
i couldnt get mine to twist off so i used a chisel and a screw driver to bend it to where i could just pull it out. then a couple light taps with a hammer to flatten it and it was as good as new.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i couldnt get mine to twist off so i used a chisel and a screw driver to bend it to where i could just pull it out. then a couple light taps with a hammer to flatten it and it was as good as new.
I got mine to slide off without too much of a problem however, it appears to be warped ever so slightly so when I set it back on, one side is always too high by like, millimeters.
I have tried to flatten it a bit by pressing it down on concrete but, the metal has a bit of spring to it.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
put it on a piece of wood like a 2x4. it will keep the metal from bouncing back off the concrete and allow you to flatten it a little bit more. or just pick it up and try to bend it with two hands. also you could put it in place and use two screw drivers to push down it and slide it into place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts