Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what some of the things people have done to make the 302 5.0L engine more powerful. The truck is a 1990 FSB. Besides full exhaust, I wasn't sure what the most bang for you buck mods would be after that. I'm not opposed to thinking about putting some decent money into the engine. What do you all think? Most likely this truck will see a 6" lift with 35" tires. Gears and full exhaust will be done at the same time. I don't want to go the S/C route.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was wondering what some of the things people have done to make the 302 5.0L engine more powerful. The truck is a 1990 FSB. Besides full exhaust, I wasn't sure what the most bang for you buck mods would be after that. I'm not opposed to thinking about putting some decent money into the engine. What do you all think? Most likely this truck will see a 6" lift with 35" tires. Gears and full exhaust will be done at the same time. I don't want to go the S/C route.
Yep I had the same problem so i Dropped a Lightning motor in mine. :doh0715:
Sorry that doesnt answer your question though... RV cam and larger injectors used to be the way to go. Dont know about nowadays though.
Usually its a fuel in fuel out issue and better breathing up top with larger more efficient exhaust that works.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a feeling a lot of people will say swap in a 351 :rockon

I'm not looking for high HP or anything crazy. If it could feel almost as powerful or as strong as my 1996 5.8L...that would be fine.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If it could feel almost as powerful or as strong as my 1996 5.8L...that would be fine.
Know how you would do that? You'd put a 5.8 in it... That is probably the cheapest and easiest way to get that kind of power out of it.

Other than that upgrade the ignition, intake and exhaust and see if you are happy. If not then at least you should be able to use the same parts on a 351.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
New cam, ignition upgrade, rebuilt engine...etc etc. do a swap. i got alot of power in my 302 but if i had done what i did to it on a 351 i would have even more power. i didnt have time to hunt parts and what not that is why i put a 302 back in.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
If you want to get more power out of your 302, and also stick with the 302, the best place you can spend money at is in axle gears. It will make the 302 run and tow better then the 351 will and not affect the milage. If you mod the engine you're still dealing with a small engine, and mods on that for a decent power increase don't help the torque at all. They will give you more power, but way up in the RPM range and for that you would want alower set of gears anyways. IMO I'd much rather have a Bronco with a stock 302 and 4.10 gears with stock tires or 4.88's with 33's instead of a Bronco with a built up 302 and factory gears

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
x2

A set of gears low enough to fully utilize the 5.0 torque curve is probably the most benefit for the time/money expended. Assuming of course your engine is close to factory specs in cylinder compression/oil pressure readings. You might also look into upgrading the exhaust (i.e. shorties, free flowing cat and corressponding muffler.

Reactions: baldbull71

·
Registered
897 Posts
Gears, headders/Ypipe, heads, cam.

Gears are a biggy. When you go to bigger tires, you realy need them. Also any mods done to the motor will increase the RPM range some, and will enjoy the gearing.

The stock Ypipe/cat setup is trash! Replace that, and a muffler that you like, and a new tailpipe and you will wake her up a LOT. Add headders if you like them, to support future mods.

Heads, The stock heads are pretty lame. IMHO they eaven choke out the stock low rev truck 5.0's TONS of good heads out there, just dont go to big.

Cam, Well with the more flow, a cam swap will wake that motor up!!! Keep it mild to retain the low end, and live with your FI system. there is a good post from fireguy about cams on here.

That should help you aLOT!!!! Anymore then that, I would swap a 5.8 in, and then do the same mods to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts