Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is how I restored my headliner. I had a leftover mossyoak bed sheet and thought that would look great as a headliner. So you will need some fabric of your choice, a wire brush, a can of permatex heavy duty headliner adhesive, and a roll of masking tape.

First you are going need to remove all of the trim and sun visors. Once you have it out of the truck or bronco start removing the old fabric by peeling it off. Mine was in bad shape so it was a piece of cake to remove.

Once the fabric is removed there will be an underlying layer of foam. This is where you will need your wire brush. This layer of foam needs to be removed because if you leave it there it will start to sag again. So start removing it with the wire brush.

Now my foam board was cracked at the two front points. They ended up breaking off completely. This was an easy fix and I will touch on this later on.

Here is the headliner with half of the foam removed.

Here is some of the foam I had removed.

Now I kept the old pieces which fit right back together. What I did was I slipped the pieces together and re-enforced them with masking tape. It was pretty sturdy but not enough so when I applied the adhesive I applied a heavier layer in these areas to glue them together.

Now I applied the glue in stages 3 layers and I let it tack up for 5 minutes in between coats. This is not tacky at first but as you let it sit it gets really tacky.

Make sure you do the backside of the fabric to. Same amount of layers. Next press the pieces together and work it out center, outwards. Watch out for wrinkles and air bubbles. If you get one just lift up on the fabric and work and massage it out. It will come out don't worry. You have a few hours to work with so you have time.

Next is to cut out the holes for everything. I used an exacto knife to cut out the wholes. Now make sure you leave about 1/2 to 3/4 in excess around the outside edge overlap. I folded this over the edges and since it was tacky it stuck. It may need some encouragement which in this case you would use clothespins.

I let it dry overnight in a safe place. The next day the glue has set up. The installation process is basically reverse of removing. Here it is installed. I also bought some MossyOak Break-up floor mats, seat covers, Steering wheel cover, and some carpet fore the back area of the truck. Just need a dash mat next LOL! Hope this helps someone out. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Ken

·
Registered
254 Posts
i dig it. im not even big on camo but i think its a nice touch

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure about the rear half yet. Trying to figure out how I could make it stick. Its just plain fiberglass right now. Going to do the fabric on the doors next! I will post pics of those too. Should I black out the interior plastic? I think it would look better than the grey. I guess anything that is not made of plastic would work. On the cans label it says will damage some plastics. So I would do a test on a scrap piece.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Looks good, nice work. I used the 3M stuff on my other truck or at least I tried. After two failed attempts I resorted to more extreme glue. I did the door inserts on mine too and have matching seat covers. I say the more camo the better.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Very nice job.

BTW- What was under the headliner in that hump? Was it sheet metal?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly I can't really remember. I believe there was only foam. This came out of 89 xlt so they might be different with say a 95 Eddie Bauer with the clock and console on the headliner. I could see the Eddie Bauer needing extra strength there to help hold up that extra console.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks good, My headliner is the conferderate flag. Found it in the jy, had to cut it down to size to fit the Bronco. Skip the door panels and do the sunvisors first.
I am thinking about doing the same thing this week end. did you do it with the same steps as he did or did you do it another way?

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
I am thinking about doing the same thing this week end. did you do it with the same steps as he did or did you do it another way?
I found mine in a JY already put together. It was in a f150, all I did was pull the stocker from the Bronco and sized it up to the one I got out ot the JY. I had to cut the f150 one down to fit in the Bronco. I then had to fold the flag over and respray it with adhesive to stick. Rather easy process if you ask me. Hardest part is probably getting the flag centered.

Look's good bro. My headliner needs to be redone.
Thanks!

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
I just did mine, so here is a little advise. Be prepared for that foam to get EVERYWHERE. And I used a whole can of adhesive spray. Do be cheap, you don't want it to sag after a few months.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Looks like it came out real nice great job Brother, so do you own stock in the company or are they paying you to advertise.....:rofl:..:histerica...lol lol.....j/k

Good Luck ~

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No I don't JK LoL! It is still looking great and holding up. Just got some new well used sun visors from a newer bronco at the the junkyard. They are perfect. Also they are the same color and have lighted mirrors on both sides. Wiring those in today. Thanks for the compliments. I will post pics of those soon. P.S. That foam does get everywhere.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts