1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out:
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/ford88girdlesystems.htm

I found it while driving around at POR.

It has the bearing support system that prevents side load bearing deflection, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

I like that it has a higher fill hole to correct fluid level after adjusting the pinion angle.
Drain plug, and it is beefy, notice how thick it is.
It also has support welds.

Looks good to me, lots of nice features, and it is only 150.00

What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
I think it looks sweet, but that 150 bones could get you a beefier axle instead :shrug

I have found some seepage today from where my axle tube meets the housing .. not much, but it is damp around the seam now .... that is the bending people speak of .. it's happening to me .... hopefully you aren't next Bro :confused:

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
motorspart makes a cover like that too. very nice but cant justify 150 on it.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
it is a nice cover...i bought one from my local spped shop for 120 or 130...i changed mine when i put new axle seals and bearings...i like the feature of a drain plug is why i bout it....

Hey Damager i have the same problem on my 8.8...it is damp around the tubes then it is also damp around that little round hole just before the tubes...:banghead

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seboh said:
Truss it and weld the tubes to the center.
Thats what i plan on doing before I have the problems.
(Thats if I can talk Keith into helping me):toothless

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
Yeah, like it was said above, Trick Flow and Ford Motorsports make pretty much the same thing. Prices should be about the same. My friend has the Ford SVO version and its real nice. Check out the other ones before you get that one.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Beerman said:
Thats what i plan on doing before I have the problems.
(Thats if I can talk Keith into helping me)
You're going to have to talk Keith into buying a bender and a stick welder first....

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the truss would just be cut out from 3/8 inch steel with his plasma, and then welded on over the diff from each side of the axle.
Kinda like Brian Soderblom did on hiw axle truss.

I dont see why it would have to be welded on with a stick welder???? I am no welder, but I still dont understand why:shrug

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Except it obviously wouldnt go over the diff cover, it would go over the top of the diff in my case.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
A stick welder is more versatile and will weld to the cast steel of the diff much better if you use a rod with a high nickel content.

I just don't trust Al covers. I don't care how thick they are. My buddy cracked a front ORU 60 Al cover on Holy Cross this summer.

As they say in the cycling world, steel is real (altho I prefer Ti LOL)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Beerman said:
I dont see why it would have to be welded on with a stick welder???? I am no welder, but I still dont understand why:shrug
One built from tube would be stronger and more easily built. Brian's also working with a 9", which is all mild steel. 8.8 centers are cast... you're better using a high nickle rod to weld the tubes to the center, and pre and post heat the housing.

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
Beerman said:
Well, the truss would just be cut out from 3/8 inch steel with his plasma, and then welded on over the diff from each side of the axle.
Kinda like Brian Soderblom did on hiw axle truss.

now why the hell did he weld that over the cover :shrug

seems to defeat the whole purpose ..........

·
Registered
741 Posts
Damager said:
now why the hell did he weld that over the cover :shrug

seems to defeat the whole purpose ..........
Thats a Ford 9" which doesnt have a diff cover, the only way to access the gears is to remove the third memeber.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
seboh said:
One built from tube would be stronger and more easily built. Brian's also working with a 9", which is all mild steel. 8.8 centers are cast... you're better using a high nickle rod to weld the tubes to the center, and pre and post heat the housing.
\

OK, that makes sense. Thanks seboh.
Maybe someday I will have to buy Keith a tube bender.:thumbup

·
Registered
34 Posts
Chris85xlt,

AWESOME Bronco man. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 32 Posts