Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of an engine swap, literally. Both engines are out of the Bronco and I can't get the Flex plate off the old engine. Short of an impact wrench, I don't have a compressor, any ideas on how to get these fawkers off? This truck is my DD and I have to work Monday.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
BFH and BFPB (Big F*cking Pry Bar).

Wait, can you not get the BOLTS out, or is the flexplate stuck to the crankshaft? If it's the bolts, then you really need an impact gun.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I use a screw driver or long punch depend ing the flywheel to jam it up against the block while I break the bolts loose. It takes a bit of work but that's how I have done it in the past when I didn't have air tools. I also try to smack the wrench with ahammer to shock the bolts loose. It seems to work better than just trying to turn them loose.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Yes snap them fast, jump on the ratchet works as well, oh you can also use a rope down one of the spark plug holes to jame the piston. (wouldn't do it on the engine I was using but if your pulling it - go for it)

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Most of them I had already tried before I posted. I ended up spraying with PB and going to bed. Next morning 81Bronc36 and I went out and he held the breaker bar on the bolts while I hit it with a BFH. That worked. Still isn't complete but my son flew back to Tampa for a month so we have his S10 as an additional vehicle for a while. Still want my truck back ASAP tho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts