Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting on the freeway the other day and my F/R tire goes out and was thwakin like crazy on the fender well. Luckly I had both hands on the wheel because i was just getting on. i had to fight to keep it from ripping to the right. I got to the shoulder and tried to turn....... nothing. i was headed straight for the wall of a bridge underpass. finally it grabbed something and turned me parallel with the wall/shoulder.

I came to a stop 20 ft. behind a highway patrol officer, who congradulated me on keeping the SOB from the wall.

Im only 17, that that was my first tire to shred on me, (i had a blow out once, not so bad). I will never drive with one finger again.

1/3 of the tread was peeled back, and it yanked all of the fenderwell plasitic out, but thats repairable.

i know it probably sounds lame, but it was scary enough for me

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
nice, Im afraid to get a blowout

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Yeah man. Good job. That is the one thing that freaks me out about a big lift and big tires. Once it happens once I'll know what the truck will do. But that first time... Damn! I feel like if one of the fronts were to blow (37") doing 75mph the truck would just take off in that direction and there would be nothing I could do about it. I have always wanted someone to test this out to see what would really happen with 6" of lift 35's or 37's and doing 75mph. It would be a cool test as long as the truck had a roll cage and the driver was really secure in his seat, with a helmet.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah man. Good job. That is the one thing that freaks me out about a big lift and big tires. Once it happens once I'll know what the truck will do. But that first time... Damn! I feel like if one of the fronts were to blow (37") doing 75mph the truck would just take off in that direction and there would be nothing I could do about it. I have always wanted someone to test this out to see what would really happen with 6" of lift 35's or 37's and doing 75mph. It would be a cool test as long as the truck had a roll cage and the driver was really secure in his seat, with a helmet.
that would be sweet. full caged, 5 pointed, and a bronco to roll haha. with big tires, it would be really scary. im still working for my lift and tires, luckly i have gay 29s right now. :brownbag

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
At least you kids have mostly radial tires these days. Good thing you kept it out of the wall, that would've been a ticket! :rofl:

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I've had my fair share of flat tires but never had one blow out on a front axle. Scared the shit out of my boss one day when the inside dual blew out on his truck while he was sleeping in the passenger seat

·
I see Broncos
6,041 Posts
what!? a ticket on top of a rolled and wrecked truck! ahhh!
Yea, many cops will write a ticket to just have an official reccord of the incident. Many years ago when I was in HS, a kid I knew got T-boned by someone making a left. The cop gave him a speeding ticket for doing 35 in a 40.

Oh and good job on keeping the shiny side up. Tread seperations are no joke. I've been through 4. First one the car ended up in the wall (Tread wrapped around the axle and pitched me sideways) and the other three just ended up tearing the heck out of my fender flares on the bronco (Had a bad set of tires)

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
This thread scares me and puts the "what if" into my driving. I can barely keep my bronco under control at 70, I couldn't imagine what a blown tire would do.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
They tend to get squirrelly around 110 mph. :brownbag

·
Registered
311 Posts
They tend to get squirrelly around 110 mph. :brownbag
Especially with 1/3 a turn of steering slop (3/4" heim joint on the stock front trackbar mount on a '78) a 6" lift a disinigrating rear driveshaft, and 35" unbalanced swampers.

:smilie_slap I should have never gone that fast with a truck in such poor shape... I had the speedo needle wrapped 1/2 of the way through the odometer on my '78 Bronco. 35" tires and the speedo was NOT recalibrated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts