Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you tell that a motor mount/trans mount is bad? Mine seem to be tight but the rubber has seen better days. When going after a stop or hitting a bump going down the road I can feel the accelerator pedal going up and down so one or maybe all the mounts are bad? The sway bar end link bushings are in very bad shape the rubber is almost gone so I will replace those. Radius arm bushings look ok. What is the best way to change motor mounts?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I use the term trailer hitching. If it ever bucks like there is a poorly loaded trailer then your mm are probably worn. I just changed mine this week. I felt like I had been in a fight when I was done. PITA.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
The way I usually notice it, is excessive torque movement in the stick on my ZF5.

You can usually tell by looking at it. If it looks dry rotted, or has a tear or something similar looking on it, it's bad.

And if one goes bad, the other usually goes bad soon thereafter. And then it usually takes out the transmission bushing too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the term trailer hitching. If it ever bucks like there is a poorly loaded trailer then your mm are probably worn. I just changed mine this week. I felt like I had been in a fight when I was done. PITA.
Thats exactly what mine feels like, a poorly loaded trailer going up and down.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
I usually stick a huge-ass prybar into somewhere between the frame and the mount in question, and give 'er a good yank. If there's damage, usually there will be little resistance to its leverage, or the damage will be visually apparent (cracks in the rubber, motor moves to the end of the mount's stop, etc. Oils will also contribute to them breaking down prematurely.

Of course, there's always the tried and true method of doing a brake stand with the hood popped, and watching the motor jump. :toothless

As previously suggested, if one's bad, the others will be following. Best to nail them all at once, IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.