Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey was wondering if I could get some help here,I have an 87 with the 5.0 in it and I recently swapped the motor I had in my pickup into my Bronco,it’s another 302 that I rebuilt last year and was running fine the day before I swapped them,so long story short I did the swap and marked where everything went and redid all my grounds and other Freyed points and got to the point of test starting.so I’m stuck here,I can get the truck to start up and idle in park or neutral fine(have a little smoke coming from the pressure hose on the oil lid but nothing crazy)but the second I go to put her in drive or reverse it drops to 300 rpms and it’ll stall in 3 seconds(the oil gauge will also flick left and right super fast and the truck shakes)if I hit the gas to save it it’ll die,I’ve done new plugs and timing but that hasn’t changed anything,also when I hit the brake and gas I can get it to drive but it makes popping noises almost like a bag of popcorn and it moves slower then I can push it,don’t know if it related but I put a new power steering pump on to but I don’t have any pressure running to the lines,I have no leaks and the fluid is staying in the pump but my wheel is still heavy.I’ve done timing,checked my vacuum lines,made sure the torque converter was locked in,the harness is all right I took pictures to make sure,new wires plugs,cut my fusible links and replaced them with the appropriate fuses in a new fuse box and tried every Ford firing order,I’m just so stumped and I really want to drive my truck again,I appreciate any help here.

·
Super Moderator
29,116 Posts
Yo Shinshark,
Welcome!
5.0; The firing order for 87-93 vehicles is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. If #7 and #8, or #2 and #4 spark plug wires are routed next to each other at the separation bracket, an induction crossfire condition can occur. Distributor rotation: Counterclockwise; The firing order for 94-96 vehicles is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. On these vehicles the #1 and #3, or #5 and #6 spark plug wires must be separated to eliminate the possibility of an induction crossfire. To eliminate the possibility of the coil wire becoming disconnected, route the coil wire under the spark plug wires at the distributor cap. Distributor rotation: Counterclockwise

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader

Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you or loan you a code reader with refundable deposit.
Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

Here's the 1987 Ford Bronco Catalog, "Great Go-Togethers, Eddie Bauer and Ford Bronco" - The Henry Ford

1987 Owner's Manual, partial (Towing it & 4 speed manual transmission shift patterns & operation) by Ford via Mikey350 @ 1996 Ford Bronco 87 Bronco Owners Manual pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom!

For any questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our site's FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search
See more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

➡Please try to take time to Participate and Vote in our current Full-Size of the Quarter Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to the winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine with a year's subscription once the article is submitted. And a year's worth of premium FSB membership.

Al

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yo Shinshark,
Welcome!
5.0; The firing order for 87-93 vehicles is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. If #7 and #8, or #2 and #4 spark plug wires are routed next to each other at the separation bracket, an induction crossfire condition can occur. Distributor rotation: Counterclockwise; The firing order for 94-96 vehicles is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. On these vehicles the #1 and #3, or #5 and #6 spark plug wires must be separated to eliminate the possibility of an induction crossfire. To eliminate the possibility of the coil wire becoming disconnected, route the coil wire under the spark plug wires at the distributor cap. Distributor rotation: Counterclockwise

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader

Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you or loan you a code reader with refundable deposit.
Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

Here's the 1987 Ford Bronco Catalog, "Great Go-Togethers, Eddie Bauer and Ford Bronco" - The Henry Ford

1987 Owner's Manual, partial (Towing it & 4 speed manual transmission shift patterns & operation) by Ford via Mikey350 @ 1996 Ford Bronco 87 Bronco Owners Manual pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom!

For any questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our site's FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search
See more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

➡Please try to take time to Participate and Vote in our current Full-Size of the Quarter Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to the winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine with a year's subscription once the article is submitted. And a year's worth of premium FSB membership.

Al
I’ll give that order a shot again but for whatever reason I couldn’t get it to start with that order,right now I’m running the 13726548 and it starts instantly just won’t run in gear

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,473 Posts
If it ran fine in the other truck and you didn't need with the timing then you should focus on fuel pressure. Different pumps feeding it...
Popcorn sounds, sounds like low pressure

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it ran fine in the other truck and you didn't need with the timing then you should focus on fuel pressure. Different pumps feeding it...
Popcorn sounds, sounds like low pressure
Hey man I appreciate the response I was thinking the same thing the other day but it’s the same pumps on both trucks and the exact same motor,only difference was ac pump and 3g alternator,I’m wondering if I’m just running the wrong firing order after doing some searching on ho and non ho systems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I figured it out it was just firing order,so fords will run on both the 154 and 137 order just one of them does whenever put in gear,if your having the problem just spins the rotor 180 and try the other order

1 - 8 of 8 Posts