Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '79 f150 as a donor truck for my solid axle swap on my bronco and i'm trying to sell the motor on craigslist and i dont know what it is. I thought it was a 351 cleveland but some guy sent me an email and said that didn't come in those trucks, only the 351M and 400 came stock in the 4x4. Is there a number stamped on one of the heads or block somewhere that will tell me what it is? if so how do i read it?

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
Since the 351C was discontinued in 1974, it probably wasn't the stock engine in your 1979 truck.
Here's some casting numbers:

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Some pictures would help...and if it is a "M" engine, to be sure i always drop the oil pan and identify the difference of a 351M and a 400 by the casting # on the crankshaft.
I was ready to buy a 400M,... and after i had the fellow drop the pan it was a 351 crank...

·
Registered
297 Posts
just out of curiousity where are the numbers on the block does anyone have a pic?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Unless it has been swapped it is a 351M or 400M they have the same heads as the Cleveland so looking at one they look alike. They cam with a sticker on the drivers valve cover but that is probably gone. Dont know the casting numbers, sorry

·
Registered
297 Posts
i checked my numbrs on my block just for s n giggles and when i was looking at the chart i noticed the 351 m and 400 numbrs on the block are the same so i am guessing the only real way to tell if its a 351m or a 400 is the numbers on the crank

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
i checked my numbrs on my block just for s n giggles and when i was looking at the chart i noticed the 351 m and 400 numbrs on the block are the same so i am guessing the only real way to tell if its a 351m or a 400 is the numbers on the crank

Or pull a plug and stick a pipe cleaner or dowl down the hole and measure the stroke. 3.5"=351M and 4"=400.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts