1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K. 94 full size bronco
E4OD
Full time posi Trac
Old motor quit running. Tried removing distributor and it was stuck, tried to pry it up and the oil pump shaft came out with it. Decided since it used so much oil and a compression test showed 10 lbs to 100 lbs I figured it's time for a new motor. Went to Advance Auto and got a High Output 302. We used tape and marked every connection, nut and bolt we took off so I knew where it went back to. Got everything in and yes, we primed the oil pump with a drill, but it runs rough. Sputters at top end, and even at an idle the rpm goes from 1200 to 800 rpm. Fluctuates. We installed a new fuel regulator, new fuel filter, even drained the tank and cleaned it out, and installed a new fuel pump. I set the timing by removing some grey box from the wiring, but no matter where we set the timing at it runs rough. Acts like the timing is not advancing. Wondering if the computer needs re setting or something. Maybe the computer reads a standard 302 different than the high output. All bolts were torqued as per specifications, firing order is correct, there is a different firing order for the high output.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,088 Posts
What firing order are you using? I'm almost positive in 94 the firing order was the high output firing order..... 13726548

Did you pull the spout connector when you set the timing?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the house 302 firing order. Can't be sure, the paper that came with the engine is in the truck at a shop. The only thing I unplugged before setting the t I ming is a grey plug by the driver side firewall

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,088 Posts
I am using the house 302 firing order.
That tells us nothing. Verify you're using 13726548. That should be the order to use. If you use the other order, it won't run right, but it'll probably still run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts