Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 with a locked up 351 ho.. we pulled the motor this weekend but I can't get the torque converter off because I can't turn the crank... has anybody encountered this ..what can I do

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
If the motor is out take all the main caps off the crank and try to turn it then.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
Why is engine locked up?, if it was running and locked up from mechanical failure I am not sure I would want to re-use that convertor anyways.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I bought the truck it had been sitting for 10-12 years and the back pass side spark plug was full of water, so I don't know what caused the lock up, I don't think it's mechanical. I want to get the torque converter off so I can put the motor on the engine stand and see whats up. I had thought about pulling the oil pan and disconnecting the rod caps to see if I can turn it.. didn't know if anybody else had any ideas

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would vote for taking the rod caps off first. (Had the same thing with a 460) That rusty cylinder will probably need the piston beat out of it. Been there before!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to try pulling the oil pan and pulling the rod caps. I have a 460 and c6 coming but the owner keeps having issues getting in the way of delivery, so I figured I'd see what was wrong with this one..

·
Registered
52 Posts
ok so i work at a salvage yard here in ny sometimes we pull motors down off the shelves that have been sitting for years and they get locked up from moister or water getting in cause the warehouse isnt water tight anyway usually we can put some pb blaster let it sit and itll end up turning i havent seen one get jammed up yet... im sure they wouldnt have us do it if it was going to mess anything up cause its 6 month warantee sometimes a year parts and labor

·
Registered
155 Posts
If that 460 doesnt come through i got a inline 6 id sell you cheap thatll run forever. def not a V8 though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts