Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't a "bronco" question but I don't know where else to ask this question...

I recently got a frame from a 76 f100 4x4 to start my project. the motor towers are missing and I was wondering if they are the same for the 302 as the 351M/400 or do I need to find a set just for the 302?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so is there a set of factory towers I can get to bolt up a 302?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm guessing your going with a 302?? Why not bigger? If I had any choice to put in my 79 i'd go 351W but I already had my 400 so that's what's in it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here is the whole picture:

I already have a 76 F100 2wd running truck - 302/c4

I have a friend that has seriously hooked me up with some free parts which include a 4x4 frame from a 76 F100

the frame is stripped to just the frame, crossmembers, radius arm brackets, and leaf hangers. I got the D44 with it also but I didn't realy need it so it is going to another project.

a little backround:

I stripped a 79 bronco a while back and luck me I kept all the brackets and drive train minus the motor.(my wife hate that I am a packrat)

so what I have is a pretty much bolt together build except for any thing I want to alter as I go. my first problem is no motor towers for the good running 302 I have on the stand in the shop.

I have no problem making my own, I own a welder and know how to use a tape. but I have limited time and if that saves me a weekend I will gladly take the shortcut.

I just have a hard time thinking that I have limited options for the 76 frame when picking motors. surely there is some combo of parts that can get me there...

in some of the other posts I noticed there was a big calling not to use a 302 in the 70's trucks so just to let everyone know...this truck is going on a serious diet and is mainly being used as a beeter around my farm.

I will gladly take any kind of info y'all can throw out because I have found little to no info on this topic...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
the 1976 frame is not the most ideal frame for buildup very limited on options and configuration

find a 78-79 frame and you would be much better off using this as a foundation for your project

the 302 will set down on the 351M/400 frame perches if you use the correct insulators
but the 360 perches are in the wrong spot and configured all wrong for the 302
the 351/400 perches will not bolt on to the 1976 frame thus your problem and needing to build a custom set if you insist on using that 1976 frame

or do it ******* style set the 400 perches where you want them cutting stuff off that gets in the way and weld to them to the frame

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
or do it ******* style set the 400 perches where you want them cutting stuff off that gets in the way and weld to them to the frame
I am completely ok with this...thanks for the help!

just wondering, but what were the motor combos that came in that year?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the help!

I guess the next question is does anyone have a set laying around?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.