Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally clear some time to try and get this engine dropped in the Bronco. Putting everything back together and I get to the motor mounts I pulled off two different engines.

They are rough. Rubber isn't totally trashed, but they are worn and definitely tired. Can't be hard right?

I mean they are the same mounts used in COUNTLESS F-Series trucks and other Broncos, right?

So I search a bit. Turns out a lot of people tend to have trouble with aftermarket motor mounts. Having to slot / grind a bolt hole here and there, cut pieces off etc. What?

It's not like I'm redoing a limited run vehicle.

Most of the mounts appear to reboxed by the distributor. So I tried the local NAPA.

Balkamp 602-1572. I even take the old OEM mount to match it up. So it matches up. He grabs another from the shelf (neither of us thinking the two would be different - same part # / same box) and back to the shop I go.

NOPE. The first part we matched up - it fits either side of the engine with no issues (after comparing with the OEM mount there was a bit less clearance between the header collector and the mount itself - but not bad).

The second - won't fit either side. On one side it will bolt up but the mount hits the oil pan rail. On the other side, if you get the mount where it will fit without hitting the block or the pan - one of the bolt holes isn't lined up. Comparison of the two new mounts with each reveal slight difference. Just enough. Looks close - but no cigar.

$130 shipped for a pair of Ford OEM

After a bunch of digging found these:

Prime One day. I ordered them. We shall see. If they don't fit, Ford OEM it shall be.

@cobrajoe You run across this before?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ran into this issue with mounts for my first Gen bronco restoration. At one point I had exhausted all local parts stores trying to get a matching set. Same box and part number, but had mounts from USA, India, Korea, Taiwan, and China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
583 Posts
Steve83 built mine and they are bomb proof. Matching trans mount too!

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,075 Posts
yeah, a lot of this stuff is made in China and is just plain garbage. I have been using the Energy Suspension mounts and have had very good luck with there quality, unless of course, they are being made in China now too.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
should have jsut gotten the JBG 'extreme duty' moutns. for 100$ and last forever. any of the OE style aftermarket mounts suck.
Yup - those are next up. I tried the ones from Amazon because they were one-day shipping.

yeah, a lot of this stuff is made in China and is just plain garbage. I have been using the Energy Suspension mounts and have had very good luck with there quality, unless of course, they are being made in China now too.
@cobrajoe You have a part number? I just combed through their online catalog and couldn't find a listing for the F150 / Bronco.

Thanks.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,075 Posts
To be honest, I have not use them on the bronco, But used them in the cobras that we built and on Mustangs.
I would think they have to have something for our vehicles, might be worth giving them a call.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest, I have not use them on the bronco, But used them in the cobras that we built and on Mustangs.
I would think they have to have something for our vehicles, might be worth giving them a call.
My buddy said he'll call today. He's a distributor for 'em. If the mounts coming from Amazon today don't work - I'll likely order the JBG mounts or just bit the bullet for OEM Ford mounts.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
i bought some westar motor mounts. they weren't perfect on one side and the studs were too long. but it didn't take much to get the installed. i've had them on for about 3 /12 years at this point. i paid less than $20 for the pair.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah - I ran across your install. I was hoping to find ones that didn't need tweaking. It bothers me to have to grind / cut parts that should fit. Not to mention if the part fails, the manufacturer sure as hell ain't gonna warranty it...

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
583 Posts
Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with Steve. He builds he is and could probably send you a picture. They are good to go

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,979 Posts
Like @Kingfish999 said, put some of the Bronco Graveyard mounts on and call it a day..They're not cheap but they'll probably outlast your Bronco..I've got them on my rig,perfect fit no issues.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Yeah - I ran across your install. I was hoping to find ones that didn't need tweaking. It bothers me to have to grind / cut parts that should fit. Not to mention if the part fails, the manufacturer sure as hell ain't gonna warranty it...
that's true, but i'd never try to warranty them. i'd either buy another set of the ones from JBG. i just don't know that you'll find an OEM replacement that fits 100%

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
The parts market is full of garbage these days, and it's worse on older vehicles. It's more profitable to make cheap parts and replace the few people complain about than make good stuff. The stock design is garbage no matter what you use. I had some on mine that I swear tore almost immediately. The JBG mounts use leaf spring bushings and won't tear. TBH I wasn't particularly happy with the quality of those either, as they took some massaging and shimming to fit right, but at least they won't tear. Downside is they will lift the motor 3/4"-1" in the front, so you'll need to raise the fan shroud.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Downside is they will lift the motor 3/4"-1" in the front, so you'll need to raise the fan shroud.
How does that work if you have the Edelbrock EFI truck intake?

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Liberal use of a hammer.
I had my motor mounts changed several months ago and sometime around then I noticed I had vibration from 58 on up until 75 when the vibration became violent. Has anyone suspected motor mounts causing a vibation?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,979 Posts
I had my motor mounts changed several months ago and sometime around then I noticed I had vibration from 58 on up until 75 when the vibration became violent. Has anyone suspected motor mounts causing a vibation?
I'd have your tires checked first..

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,979 Posts
FWIW, I didn't have any issues with needing to raise my fan shroud after installing the JBG mounts.

Reactions: White Dragon
1 - 20 of 43 Posts