Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have read my thread about my black smoke. I ended up taking it to a (a buddy's) mechanic, and he told me I had a bad valve :cry . Well, I pulled it and my valves were fine :banghead . Luckily, though, my crank was scarred so it wasn't all for not. Take it to my favorite (and best I've found) machine shop today (Universal Automotive, over on Utah, for any Vegas guys reading), and were going through the list of stuff I want done. We get to cam, and he asks, "Well, or you going stock, or do you want performance?" So I ask, I'd love a performance cam, how much more would one be? He says, "I'll give you this cam for an extra $20 bucks." SOLD! That made my week, so I figured I'd share. Gotta love a shop that takes care of you.

If the link doesn't work, its a crower level 2 cam.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
11jdsummerfield said:
When it says not computer controlled compatible, does that just mean it won't pass emissions??
It means it's gonna fight and not play well with JT's stock speed density EEC-IV computer.

What you need to do is search the site here using "Gackner speed density cam" and read on up as to which cams will play well with your speed density computer.

After that approach your machine shop with the part numbers and get em' to quote.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
yes - exactly what Sixlitre stated above - trying to put a mild or wild cam in a speed density 5.0, regardless if a truck or car, the speed density EEC's do not like aftermarket cams all that well.... You'll run into idle & driving issues if you do not research properly. I'm not saying the vehicle will run like complete crap, BUT, every vehicle is different and the last thing you want to do is put out the $$$ for the cam, $$$ for gaskets/seals/other parts needed to do a cam job and then of course any $$$ for the labor IF you are not doing it yourself... It would be a total waste of $$$ if you stuck a cam in a speed density vehicle then ended up with idle/drivability problems...

The only other way around this aspect with a speed density 5.0 if wanting to upgrade the cam (or do other engine mods down the road) is to add mass air to the equation... Once you upgrade to mass air, the modding possibilities are nearly endless.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
That cam WILL work. The big thing with SD friendly cams is the LSA. It needs to be 114 deg or more and this one is 114 so it'll work. did you notice that it's a roller cam not a flat tappet? If you're sticking with flat tappet you need one of the SD friendly cams for our trucks. Search on here in the tech section for "How to pick a camshaft" it list all the SD friendly cams.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to order the roller cam conversion from Summit, and get the cheapie roller lifters from them (assuming when I go there and talk to the guy tomorrow, he hasn't already taken care of most of it). Thanks for the info guys... if it wasn't for Bob's post, I was thinking about stroking it to a 347 and carbing it.

I did read the How to pick a cam post... good info in there.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Sixlitre said:
What you need to do is search the site here using "Gackner speed density cam" and read on up as to which cams will play well with your speed density computer.
That was Ryans thread, not mine. :toothless

RLKBOB said:
That cam WILL work. The big thing with SD friendly cams is the LSA. It needs to be 114 deg or more and this one is
:stupid

Make sure any cam you use on a S.D. system has an LSA of 114 or more.

Jt8786 said:
I was going to order the roller cam conversion from Summit, and get the cheapie roller lifters from them
What roller conversion are you talking about?
The only roller retrofit I know of is by using Cranes retrofit roller lifters and they are $400.00+

Jt8786 said:
I was thinking about stroking it to a 347 and carbing it.
You can stroke it to 347 and keep the EFI if you use an 88-93 351w S.D. computer, keep the LSA on the cam at or above 114, and repin your 60 pin connector to match the 88-93 pinouts.
A 347 is close enough to a 351 that the computer wont care.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
i dont know if that will work but this is what I had Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 4x4 cam put in my 302. the truck runs great with it. just a thought

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,918 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
i dont know if that will work but this is what I had Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 4x4 cam put in my 302. the truck runs great with it. just a thought

isnt yours running mass air though not speed density

1 - 11 of 11 Posts