Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 97 f-250 with the 5.8L EFI 351m. It has the AOD tranny and is only 2wd. Is it possible to take that motor and put it in my 89 bronco. My bronco has the same motor 5.8L EFI 351m the only noticeable differences was some emissions parts. Would that be a possible swap???

thanks

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,918 Posts
first off, the motor is a 5.8/351w. the 351m stopped showing up in the early 80's. second your 97f250 wouldnt have an AOD, that is a light duty tranny that was never mated to the 5.8 in a truck.

but to answer your question. basicly strip all the accessories off of the 97 motor and put all the smog related stuff from your 89 motor on to it. You will need to take the 97 5.8 distributor out and have the cam gear swapped over to the distributor from the 89 5.8. this is very important. also use your 89 flexplate.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
as said the M stoped in the early 80's and never got treated to the EFI unless someone added it in.

the F250 should have the E4OD

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
as said the M stoped in the early 80's and never got treated to the EFI unless someone added it in.

the F250 should have the C6
A '97 would have an E4OD.

Justin, why are you looking to swap? Bronco motor blown, or just trying to get mass air?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if i had stuff wrong but you got the idea. The bronco Motor is starting to knock at idle here and there and my heads need redone. is it less of a hassle to just take mine out and rebuild it or just do a swap

·
7,918 Posts
the 97 motor will be a roller ready block which is nice. if the price is right for this motor and you plan on doing the swap yourself do it. a rebuilt 5.8 is at least a grand if not more.

if this bronco isnt a daily driver then make some calls to the local machine shops and get some prices on rebuilding what you already have. either way your looking at the same amount of time probably.

·
7,918 Posts
right on!!! i got the truck for 500 just cause of a lost tittle so i figured it was the better way to go. I'm not thinkin i know what you mean by roller ready block?
oh boy :banghead

do a search for roller cam on here.

do you have anymore money to put towards a set of headers and exhaust?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how much you talkin? Where can i find those basanni y pipes? i seen people talkin about em but dont know where to find em. What about high flow cat, you know of a good one? cause i would love to put better exhaust on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts