Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new member to this site and have a few ?'s.i have a ragged out 400 in my 78 bronco and just baught a 460 for her.what all do i have to do to put this in?will 460 motor mout's for a 79 f150 work on my bronco?any suggestion's?thanx

·
Registered
97 Posts
is it auto or 4spd?

as said, new mounts will be a big help.
i used l&ls

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
Not quite, since he says he got the 460 out of an LTD it would have a front sump oil pan. He'll need a rear sump oil pan, suction screen, and oil pump.
There's a #3 main bearing cap bolt with a stud on the head that the new suction screen tube attaches to. They're a few bucks at Ford.
The P/S lines will need swapped out also, since the LTD usually used the Saginaw PS pump and you want to keep that for sure, but the lines are different.
I use 2wd 1978 f250 460 radiator hoses and cut them to fit.
If it's an automatic it needs the 460 kickdown rod or lengthen the 400 one. Depends on the intake/carb.
The torque converter should hold if it's in good shape, but if it's getting old it may not last. A good 460 converter like Hughes is a good investment.
Last thing is the ujoints. If they're worn or weak anywhere in the drivelines the 460 will find them with the additional torque and it will break them.
Stock 460 truck iron manifolds work fine for a stock or near stock 460. No need for goofing around with headers unless you're into that kind of thing.
That's all I can think of.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
If it's got a 4" lift you can get by with a front sump pan. You also need the accesory mounting brackets for the 460 motor as the 400 brackets won't work.

78bronco460 where did you read he got the 460 out of an LTD?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 460 came out of a built fox mustang.and i talked the guy down so much on the price he kept his moroso oil pan so i got one out of a junkyard.but the block was for racing so it is pretty much just a block.i need roller rockers water pump and dunno exactly what else.can somebody tell me?its also got 12 inches of lift and on 39.5 bogger's so didn't matter what type of oil pan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts