Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 bronco I’m looking at fixing up. It’s got a 460 in it right now and I’m wondering what would be a better option. I don’t plan on off-roading it. But would rather make it a nice cruiser. I was looking at a 351 Cleveland? Not sure if it’s the right path. Have had a few different suggestions from others but not sure what to do.

I know it’s a far reach, but I also don’t want to go broke driving this thing with the fuel prices going up.

I have also considered doing a 4bt. But again, the funds for that is quite a bit more.

Any ideas and input would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,431 Posts
If you gotta smog it ever it would need a 351 or 400 modified. A reman is a few grand for a stocker, past that things get expensive. If it’s a mall cruiser and your worried about fuel economy a Bronco with no OD and a big block is gonna kill ya. If anything goes ( no sniffer ) then you can bolt any Ford engine in there, FE, 335, 385 or Windsor, the trans is a 335 or 385 series dedicated bell housing so a trans swap would need to be done for anything else. The chassis is designed to accept any Ford engine from a 300 six to a 500 cube 385 stroker and a multitude of transmissions, pretty much anything that came in a Ford 4wd would drop in place. Easy and cheap would be a stick np 435 bolted up to a Windsor 351 with port MAF injectionand GT40 heads with an intake, if highway cruising then the ZF5 would serve you well.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,508 Posts
460 built with efficiency in mind would be the route I would go. Build it as to have low end torque.
A 351 C while would be a cool swap, would likely get the same MPG as your current motor, they were not designed with fuel economy in mind.
What are the specs on the current 460 and what are you looking for power wise and fuel economy wise?

I do agree good trade off maybe an EFI 351W with a ZF behind it, but I also think the 460 you have now, with a few choice parts and a ZF5 would be a good combo as well. Likely get the same mpg as the small block giving the right combo or gearing and such, but still have more torque down low.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts