Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever done amotor swap in a Ford Ranger before?
I have a 89 ranger with a 2.9 v6 and i want to put it either a 300 Straight 6 or a 302, the truck has a 5speed tranny and i was just wondering if they make a adapter that will bolt the tranny to the new motor or if it will just work anyway. any help would greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
990 Posts
This is in the wrong forum but I'll answer it anyways:thumbup

I have done the 5.0 swap in my bronco II, and over all it wasnt very bad, besides one problem that was uniqe to mine. I have a C5 tranny, so I only needed the bellhousing and torque converter from a C4 car. Their is a adaptor(Advance Adaptors) for your stock 5sd tranny, but that tranny that you have is very weak and will not hold upto the 5.0. The trannys I have heard people use are C4, C5, AOD(usually street trucks), and the only manual tranny that I have heard used was the NP435. All of those except the C5 will require a new transfercase. For exhaust Im using 5.0 explorer manifolds. They clear the framerails and the firewall. Your gonna need to get a oil filter relocation kit too.

Any more questions just ask, or you can check out www.therangerstation.com/forums this is where I got most of the information on my 5.0 swap. They website isnt the greatest right now because it was completely destroyed by hackers about a week ago.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Also the I6 swap isnt worth it at all. It was done once that I have heard of and was a huge PITA. The guy had to take a HUGE chunk out of the firewall, relocate the radiator, and rebuild part of the dash. It still has less power than the 302.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!!! i know this the bronco website. i mean i have a 84 fullsize, but i also have a 89 ranger just sitting around with nothing do.i think im gonna go with the 302, but i have another question now.
in stead of using a shakle flip couldnt some one just get some square tubing the same thickness as the frame rail , long enough to get a good weld to, and then how ever many of inches of lift you want and let that be the width of the tubing. weld it to the bottom side of the frame rail, mout your shakles and leave springs to it, then add your longer shocks and coil springs?
i mean i know this might sound stupid but it just crossed my mind.

:beer

B

·
0 Posts
Don't forget the ZF swap. I have the ZF 5 spd. behind my 302. Swapped it in and gave away the Mazda. Bolted right in, but had to change/match drive line yoke. It is md. duty vs. your mazda light duty and has a granny at 5.29 plus overdrive. If you like a manual you'll like this one. Holding up to built and blown 302! Found in 80's F250's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts