Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't smoke so I have only used my ashtray for holding loose bolts and such, but thats what the cup holders are for, so I figured I'd turn that wasted space into a CB holder. I did want to make it semi-easy to return to stock if for some reason I needed that space for something else so no huge sawzall cuts here. Keep in mind my radio is a Cobra 29 so its one of the bigger ones, others may not need cutting at all.
Here's what the Bronco looks like with the dash trim off:

There are three screws holding in the ashtray, I took them out and cut off the left side tab, there are still 2 there if I ever need them. (half cut)

PNP donor ashtray:

My radio was pretty long too so I got right angle adapters for th coax and PA jacks.

Left side tab all the way cut off

right side still intact:

Here's what the donor ashtray was for, trim around the CB.

The heater duct needed a little clearancing:

quick test fit:

more tomorrow

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,784 Posts
thats slick Rick. I thought about that position for mine for a day or two before I put it where I did. Just seemed like a lot of extra work for something I was hoping to put in a tuffy console later down the road. Plus I like have 2 power sources up front.

·
ford freak
731 Posts
thats awesome. i just did that in my '90 and it came out really well.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I have my CB mounted there too

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Never seen it done with a full function CB. Looks good.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words guys,

Stan, yea I always used the 2nd cigarette lighter fot the CB anyway, I really don't lose anything this way.

Stang- haha well...its not, I found that out by accelerating today... but it will be held in place by a little bracket from the side of the radio to the right plastic tab from the original ashtray.

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys,

Stan, yea I always used the 2nd cigarette lighter fot the CB anyway, I really don't lose anything this way.

Stang- haha well...its not, I found that out by accelerating today... but it will be held in place by a little bracket from the side of the radio to the right plastic tab from the original ashtray.
Nice work Rick looks clean. I'll bet anyone with a smaller unit could mount it between the ashtray tabs & use the c.b. brackets from the inside to mount both sides of the c.b.( in reverse) to the stock mounting tabs. Maybe even find a stereo install faceplate to go around the c.b. and cover the gap all the way around!! Nice "out of the way" place for it. Beats hitting it with your shins a hundred times a day under the dash. :rockon-Kevin-

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Kev! Yea, this install kinda made me wish I had a smaller radio, but the green backlight looks factory at night. I was going to put it above the gas pedal but my darn size 15 feet kept hitting it, thats a little unsafe. It stuck out too much under the dash so that was a no. This was pretty much the only option I had without buying a new center or overhead console.

Edit: dude you missed a party at Prairie last sunday, hope so cal was fun bro!

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
Yeah So. Cal. was cool. Very cool as a matter of fact about 45 mph cool. Wind was blowing like a sob all but one day we were there. Plus it was a freezing wind. Wedding went off great though. Where do you run your antenna on your rig. I was thinking of getting one of those windshield ones but most look lame & I don't know how well the reception is. Think I'm putting one in the same place as you so keep the pics coming. Found my D50 shaft but I'll PM you so I don't hack your thread more than I already have...:smilie_slap -Kevin-

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
I mounted it that in my 95 F250. All I did was drill two holes in the ashtray bracket and screw the CB into it. No cutting of the bracket was needed.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
I thought about putting mine in the ash tray as well, instead I put it here. Not sure what years have the same dash, but my 81 had this change hole right here and my Cobra 19 fit right in. I just had to knock out the back of the hole.

[/IMG]

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
being in the dash like that how is the sound quality? would it be helpful to install a little speaker so you can hear what people are saying

·
Super Moderator
26,313 Posts
thnx! and btw, that cigar lighter is on same ckt as the OBDII Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC) in my 96; the + lead would short to ground @ harness/ash tray supprt and Code Reader would not op.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts