Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've recently acquired a rooftop basket/rack from a friend (free!) and I'm trying to figure the best way to mount it on the topper. I've searched and seen pictures of different mounts - some using cross-bars, some not. Some cross-bars are bolted through the topper, some mounted above the side windows. Some look like they mounted the basket directly to the top.

I plan on using the rack to carry things, but nothing heavy like a spare tire or anything - mostly stuff like a tent, camping chairs, etc.

I'm on a budget, so I want to do this economically as well. Any ideas out there?

Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got any pics?

Yessir. Just took these earlier:

Here it is

The mounts - for cross bars.

Mock up with it laying on top.

It has cross bar mounts, but I don't want to drill into the fiberglass if I don't have to. I've seen bars that mount above the side windows somewhere, but I can't put my finger on those pics anymore for some reason.

·
Foolsize Member
1,558 Posts

·
Registered
1991 XLT/351w/E4OD 4" lift/4.56/33" tires
415 Posts
I wanted to still have the roof basket with the shell off so I attached it to roof racks that are attached to the gutters. Good option if you didn't want to drill into shell. Easy install too.

Attachments

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it may be an optical illusion BP that makes the pic look weird - I have a plastic wind faring (not shown) that goes on the front so it's pretty obvious which way is which.

Regardless, I'm thinking of bolting on some rails that go front to back onto which I will mount cross bars. I think I will also reinforce the rails on the inside of the topper ceiling with some large washers or plates. Hopefully that will not only spread out the weight held in the rack, but also permit me to lift off the entire topper by some sort of garage ceiling mounted winch system that I am still conjuring up in my head. I dunno - we'll see.

·
Registered
1991 XLT/351w/E4OD 4" lift/4.56/33" tires
415 Posts

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,903 Posts
I'm no engineer or anything but I would think the spread weight disbursement should make it do-able. not sure if I'd be jumping it or bouncing it around too much with a fat 285 tire. steel or alum spare wheel? might consider alum, if not already. shave a few lbs. :shrug

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here’s what mine looked like when I did it a while back. A stock rack from a 2005 Suburban, trimmed for length and put back in the same “feet.” And yes, spread the weight around - I had 6 feet on the rack, and the front and back feet were about 1.5” x 8” and the middle feet along the side were about 1.5” x 5”. Bought on local ad for $25, then I put on a fresh coat of black paint. I kinda want to find one just like it for my new rig, I like how it looks almost factory.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here’s what mine looked like when I did it a while back. A stock rack from a 2005 Suburban, trimmed for length and put back in the same “feet.” And yes, spread the weight around - I had 6 feet on the rack, and the front and back feet were about 1.5” x 8” and the middle feet along the side were about 1.5” x 5”. Bought on local ad for $25, then I put on a fresh coat of black paint. I kinda want to find one just like it for my new rig, I like how it looks almost factory.
This is a great approach to it. I've been trying to
decide what I'm going to do. This makes a nice
foundation if I add a basket and it might be all I need.
Good idea.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This makes a nice foundation if I add a basket and it might be all I need.

I just realized I’m the OP on this thread and I never wrapped it up with “after” pics.” Here’s what it looked like with a basket on top of the rails. :thumbup

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just realized I’m the OP on this thread and I never wrapped it up with “after” pics.” Here’s what it looked like with a basket on top of the rails. :thumbup

Yea you have to do that! :whip

This is exactly what I'm going to do.
Thanks for the idea! :beer

1 - 20 of 74 Posts