Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
...and here I am, NOT :smokin so I guess I have no excuse!

And it seems to be holding up to daily driving very well. I never had any intention of trying to hoist the top off with this thing, and I didn’t brace the underside accordingly for that purpose. I’ll be testing the weight holding capacity very soon for some upcoming camping/wheeling trips. :thumbup I can say, however, that it does not leak!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here’s what mine looked like when I did it a while back. A stock rack from a 2005 Suburban, trimmed for length and put back in the same “feet.” And yes, spread the weight around - I had 6 feet on the rack, and the front and back feet were about 1.5” x 8” and the middle feet along the side were about 1.5” x 5”. Bought on local ad for $25, then I put on a fresh coat of black paint. I kinda want to find one just like it for my new rig, I like how it looks almost factory.
Hi. Not sure if you’re still on this site. Did you have to drill into the fiberglass to mount that? I really want a rack, but don’t want to drill through the roof. Thanks!

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,146 Posts
Hi. Not sure if you’re still on this site. Did you have to drill into the fiberglass to mount that? I really want a rack, but don’t want to drill through the roof. Thanks!
Are you sure you thought through the question entirely? I mean, can you envision any possible way there's more than one answer, just from looking at the picture you quoted?

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Yep still here - I replied to your other thread on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you sure you thought through the question entirely? I mean, can you envision any possible way there's more than one answer, just from looking at the picture you quoted?
Wait, just to clarify: Did you log onto a random bronco forum just to hijack a random thread and make a rude comment? Surely there’s something more meaningful you could’ve done with your day? Like take a scenic drive in your Bronco, obviously being careful not to drive it off a cliff?😉

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Wait, just to clarify: Did you log onto a random bronco forum just to hijack a random thread and make a rude comment? Surely there’s something more meaningful you could’ve done with your day? Like take a scenic drive in your Bronco, obviously being careful not to drive it off a cliff?😉
As a newbie, you should take a few seconds to research before bringing the attitude. I've posted in this thread before, which is why I saw your rather unintelligent question. Don't dig a deeper hole.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
197 Posts
I’m a n00b and I’m not going to suggest you do this or that, just posting my setup. The previous owner installed Yakima cross bars mounted on Thule gutter mounts. Top tier stuff. Yes, it’s BOLTED through the top with stainless steel locknuts, sealed.

I have a Wilderness rack I bought for a FJ80 Landcruiser my Then 17 yr old boy totaled it.
85461857-A991-4091-9A9A-E8A67304526A.jpeg
45E36CEC-EF1A-4956-BB11-3A179E4845FE.jpeg

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
^ Do you have a picture of the inside? That mounting position gives you much more roof thickness, but I'm curious how much curve the PO had to fight with the nuts. Also, horizontally mounted feet are supposedly susceptible to ovalling out the holes over time, so keep an eye on weight and wear.

·
Registered
197 Posts
@fodder Sorry I don’t but will get a few when I get her back. It has a steel plate, maybe 1”x 4” as I recall with lock nuts. Clear silicone visible.
PO carried 3 kayaks...tied good old skool rope...no fancy kayak ratcheting straps from North Face!

That’s the CL ad Love at first sight! And better pic of my rack. It’s about 15+years old. Finally, I’ll show my wife I was right in keeping it stored all these years....
613866A9-CA37-4D9B-86FF-2992E30500D3.png
43632908-F919-4379-AFAC-FD7BE933BE00.jpeg
76B54A5F-8B18-4E06-9B26-AAC5DAAB31EA.jpeg
and not chucking it like she requested....numerous times.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Went by the shop, may be ready today. Was raining and didn’t want to crawl in (holding umbrella) but took these of the mounting plate. Crossbars feel solid...very strong. I can rock the truck by the bars!

The rack is 4’x7’ w/5” high sides. Weighs around 50lbs but I’m going to remove the rack’s 4 crossbar w/gutter mounts. That will cut the weight by 20 at least.
7030DB9D-44D0-4369-88BD-A565D14DCD85.jpeg
5DBB34D5-2581-43E7-B45B-40C6D77E7C71.jpeg
68757DBC-F428-4F80-8246-B28B8926BAC2.jpeg
C9B78EB0-65EB-42C5-AA5A-0AEEA008AADF.jpeg

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Those carriage bolts don't look long enough. The nylock nuts are not doing the job they were intended to do. The bolts should be extending past the nut so the nylon portion of the nut is holding on the threads.

·
Registered
197 Posts
@Hillbilly Heaven Thanks. I’ll address that, maybe with a regular bolt and lock washer, some Loctite too. I don’t want that thing flying off. Hope to get it back soon. Will eventually get to the gutter/top cab rust issue. The passenger side is worse. From what I’ve read here, that’s the worst area to work on. Thxs again

61 - 74 of 74 Posts