Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new tuffy center console that has the spot for an extra cb radio or whatever you want to put in there.

I thought instead of putting a cb in there, why not put my stereo from my dash in there, that way I can lock it up, and it will be closer to reach than the dash.

I pulled the stereo out and it looks like I can just extended the wires out, by splicing them and runnin longer wires. The RCA's will be easy Im guessing because its pretty much plug and play. Have any of yall done this before? Im just looking for any advice before I go and tear into it all.

Thanks Guys,
Patrick

·
Registered
331 Posts
you got the right idea, just make sure you use the same gauge wire... I prefer to use the fold over and crush type wire splicers as opposed to butt splicers or wire nuts... NEVER should you twist wires together and electrical tape a connection...

·
Registered
710 Posts
not a bad idea, it'll look like you don't have a stereo at all. Luckily where I live that's not an issue, but I know how the crackheads are...

just curious, what are your plans for the hole that's left in your dash? Lots of possibilities, or you could just leave it ugly with some wires hanging out as a theft deterrent...

·
Administrator
22,840 Posts
Don't forget you will also need an antenna extension. My stereo is also in my tuffy center console. for the hole left in the dash I fabbed an aluminum plate that holds all my switches.

·
Registered
331 Posts
would look good with some gauges too... good catch on the antenna extension... completely forgot that...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't forget you will also need an antenna extension. My stereo is also in my tuffy center console. for the hole left in the dash I fabbed an aluminum plate that holds all my switches.
Is the antenna extension part of the main wiring harness, or is it seperate? Can I use regular 14 ga. wire to extend it like the other wires?

·
Registered
331 Posts
its a thicker black cable with a female and male end that I think even walmart has these in their automotive dept...

·
FSM Lifetime
2,239 Posts
I was thinking about this myself actually, but instead of a tuffy console a custom built console. Having the CD player there would be much easier to reach.

It also leaves a nice spot for a CB radio :thumbup

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
NEVER should you twist wires together and electrical tape a connection...
Why not? That's what i do........

Well, you kinda skipped a step, the solder after twisting but before the tape (or heat shrink).:toothless

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
I would recommend you to solder and heat shrink all of your connections.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Why not? That's what i do........

Well, you kinda skipped a step, the solder after twisting but before the tape (or heat shrink).:toothless
nope, I meant do not just twist and tape... bought two vehicles where the aftermarket cd player didnt work because of this, one I fixed the other was fried...

solder and heat shrink is good, just not as easy, plus you run the risk of melting seats, carpet etc if doing it inside the truck (dont know the shape of you wiring harness, if you are still plug and play) butt splices are notorious for not being crimped right and wires puling out, the fold over type splicers are my personal favorite, easy and quick to use, hold excellent, and can be undone easily

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
butt splices are notorious for not being crimped right and wires puling out
That is why you need the right tool for the right job. People need to stop using those shitty all in one tools that crimps, cuts, and strips because it doesn't do any of those tasks well.

When you buy a real crimper, you'll never have a wire pull out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya, butt connectors work amazing when I use crimpers, but if I try to use anything else if Im being lazy it wont have near the strength. I will be using butt connectors for this job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been in the professional car audio/aftermarket industry for 20 years. I can not say how many of the fold over type connectors also known as scotch-locks fail. Countless amounts of them. I pull them out constantly. Soldering and heat shrink is the best connection period. Risk of burning things is only possible by a person who does not take care when doing the job...just the same as any other job. Personally I keep as large a piece of plywood on the floor board of the vehicle that will fit to lay the solder gun and heat gun on when not in use. Justin nailed it with his proper tools comment. The "best" part in the world will fail if not installed properly. There are also heat shrink butt connectors. These work like a regular butt connector but after they are crimped, it is heated, and the outer skin shrinks. They work fantastically under the vehicle where water penetration is a concern.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have been in the professional car audio/aftermarket industry for 20 years. I can not say how many of the fold over type connectors also known as scotch-locks fail. Countless amounts of them. I pull them out constantly. Soldering and heat shrink is the best connection period. Risk of burning things is only possible by a person who does not take care when doing the job...just the same as any other job. Personally I keep as large a piece of plywood on the floor board of the vehicle that will fit to lay the solder gun and heat gun on when not in use. Justin nailed it with his proper tools comment. The "best" part in the world will fail if not installed properly. There are also heat shrink butt connectors. These work like a regular butt connector but after they are crimped, it is heated, and the outer skin shrinks. They work fantastically under the vehicle where water penetration is a concern.
damn ive used them on everything for the past ten years and I guess Ive either been lucky or used them the correct way, or a combo of both... now im a bit paranoid and have three radios to go check! I agree with the soldering as Ive done that for 10 years as a job (30 as a hobby, loved the Heath Kits), on boards myself... so I am a competent solderer, but not knowing HIS skill set (he needs help relocating his stereo) i recommended the scotch-locks (thanks) as opposed to twist and tape, wire nuts an butt splices, (yes people still use inferior tools cuz thats what they have) because they are simple...

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
scotch locks are the DEBIL!! I can't tell you how many times I've chased wiring issues only to discover a sctch lock nest back behind some panel or bundle of tap.

·
Registered
331 Posts
wow.. then i guess im the luckiest sumabiatch out there... or maybe cuz the vehicles I have them in are on road only? wow and I thought they were the next best thing since sliced bread and cold beer...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts