Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, this isn't about me persay. My sister and her husband are moving. I am recruited to help by voluntary of my mother :banghead which I can't do much right now since my ankle is pretty well f*ed up. So I say if you need a driver I'll drive, since I still can do that. I just can't move heavy items up and down stairs of a narrow passage way with out my ankle giving me issues, whether it is wrapped or not.

So they tell me they don't need a "driver" since her husband can handle it all. :histerica I rode with him one day on a smaller truck (12 or 15 footer) from uhaul. And he barely handled it. Took turns wrong, ie almost hitting crap, was hard and quick on the brakes fully loaded etc. I almost sh!t myself the way he was driving the smaller truck. Anyways 2 days later they ask me to use the diesel. I told them I WILL drive the truck, but they said no they wanted to use the truck them selves. After the little F*ck up he did 2 years ago and grenaded the flywheel assembly in no way in hell will I let him near that truck. The transmission is touchy as is, if you can't shift right your grinding all the gears, since the syncros are out of alignment.

Anyways I found out they are renting another larger truck (26footer) or larger from uhaul, I again suggested that if they need a driver that I would drive it. But again they said no. Citing "lack of experience" but they can't comprehend what I have done in the past 5-6 years. They say "It wasn't a 'formal' job, and that I gained no 'experience' from it" They refuse to listen to reason until someone gets hurt or he breaks the truck.

Their classification as lack of experience is BS, I've driven trucks safely since I can remember. Never once pulled over for any violation in any truck I've driven. Even though I am younger, I went through the proper training for my CDL. Which is something her husband doesn't have. HE works on a computer all day and IMO doesn't have any real world truck driving experience.

I just hope he doesn't hop on the brakes quickly fully loaded in that thing since its stopping characteristics are going to be different than any other vehicle he has driven, that and he needs to learn how to turn in the damn thing, and the last issue is backing up, which he sucks at in a larger truck. He needed a spotter for the little uhaul he rented. He is not ready to drive any thing larger IMO.

Anyways after explaining my thoughts on it, they still said no. They again cite my "lack" of experience. Which is BS. I just want to see them move safely with out destroying anything or anyone. But if they say no, then no it is. And I will sure as hell stay off the road that day.

~end rant - God I hate stupid people, and how they think that they know how to safely drive a truck. Especially since I know for a fact that the uhaul he rented was his first time driving a larger truck compared to his Toyota Sienna minivan.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I sit behind a computer all day, but know how to drive a large truck with or w/o trailer.... I drove a 24' Uhaul with a Fusion on the back cross country... the mountainy states scared the poop outta me....

Maybe he wants to do it so he can get more experience doing it. Although - If I wanted to gain experience in something, I tend to ask someone with experience to show/teach me. Maybe you suggest helping them with the little things, riding shot gun in the truck, then calling him out when he does things wrong.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I rented a 26' Penske truck to move. I wanted the next size down but they didn't have one so I got that instead. I thought it was serious overkill and was actually a little nervous to drive it, which is stupid since I used to drive armored cars, but the thing seemed huge. It turned out to be pretty easy to drive and we ended up stuffing it full, and still making a few more trips in an F150.

I know when i rented mine, no one else could drive it but me due to insurance reasons.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Let them learn the hard way. I hate moving people, My wife volunteered me to help her sister move a couple loads since tons of people were showing up it would be quick. She would pay for gas and pizza for the crew. I was the only one who was there, nothing was packed she was broke as dirt and had to be out by midnight. All she offered me for 10 hours of work and a 100 in gas was a bag of top ramen and no way to cook it.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried giving him pointers in the smaller truck but he is dead set in his way. So I've come to the conclusion that I won't help unless it is specifically asked for.

As for insurance I understand, it isn't hard to change the agreement to include me as the primary driver. I've done it in the past when someone rented a truck realized how big it was then transferred the agreement to me at the rental location.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
he is dead set in his way.
That is the reason you tell them that you are bowing out. If he is so stubborn (I'm stubborn myself, but not so much to be closed-minded) that he refuses to listen, then wash your hands of them, and walk away. It may cause friction for you but if he screws up, he'll have no one to blame but himself.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
:stupid Always give a fool just enough rope to hang himself.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
~end rant - God I hate stupid people, and how they think that they know how to safely drive a truck. Especially since I know for a fact that the uhaul he rented was his first time driving a larger truck compared to his Toyota Sienna minivan.
Tell us how you really feel about your extended family?

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
Personnally, being a CDL A holder, I hope that the little pr&(k DOES do something stupid, like turning too fast/tight while loaded, rolls the truck without hurting anybody, or their belongings, other than his/hers, and then has to explain to "mommy" why he refused the help of an actual licensed CDL driver, along with having to pay for his crap that gets trashed, all because of HIS little testosterone troubles. I am SO fed up with the little jackweeds that think that because they can drive a freeking civic, they can drive a truck, even a straight truck. Let him hang his self, and be sure to be ready to offer him a hand........of :popc1: that is.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
just imagine if he had to back this up. :toothless

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tell us how you really feel about your extended family?
Eh, They can be a realy PITA. And sometimes need to be avoided at all costs:popc1:

Personnally, being a CDL A holder, I hope that the little pr&(k DOES do something stupid, like turning too fast/tight while loaded, rolls the truck without hurting anybody, or their belongings, other than his/hers, and then has to explain to "mommy" why he refused the help of an actual licensed CDL driver, along with having to pay for his crap that gets trashed, all because of HIS little testosterone troubles. I am SO fed up with the little jackweeds that think that because they can drive a freeking civic, they can drive a truck, even a straight truck. Let him hang his self, and be sure to be ready to offer him a hand........of :popc1: that is.
The guy is 34 or 35, TBH I forget his actual age. But I know for a fact every time they moved they hired a company to move them. To top it off he drives like every MA drive out there. When I hear he F*cked up I will be watching with some :popc1:. The thing he will have to watch since I know he will be loading it is how he loads it. If he puts too much wait in one section or Doesn't pay attention to weight distribution it may cause more trouble. But again I will be waiting with my :popc1:.

As it stands he has all the rope he needs, all he has to do now is jump

just imagine if he had to back this up. :toothless

Image Omitted
He would find the only truck and run it over. Or be backed into the wall with out realizing it :histerica

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Heh, family can be a pain, oh well. Just remember, when something bad happens, you can say I told you so...:thumbup

KC

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Heh, family can be a pain, oh well. Just remember, when something bad happens, you can say I told you so...:thumbup

KC
easiest way to deal with family issues is to move over 1000 miles away. Then they just don't show up. :toothless

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree. Stop letting your conscience get the best of you because "they're family". If a friend or acquaintance did this to you, you'd say "F-them". Just because you're related to someone doesn't give them license to be an idiot. :twak

That sucks about the ankle BTW, but I'd rather be nursing an ankle than helping anyone move.:goodfinge

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is what I would prefer to do. But the way my family acts with it, they think it isn't serious at all. :duh but I've come to the conclusion I won't help even if they kick and scream about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts