Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, Happster here, I'm moving up to go to Western State Colorado University next August! Do I know anyone in that neck of the woods? I'll be bringing the big red bronco with me. I've only been to CO a couple times before, and I am psyched about living somewhere with mountains! Let me know if y'all would like to meet up or want to add me to your recovery list. :beer

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
836 Posts
Welcome to Colorado! Gunnison is pretty far from me in Parker, but I do get down that way to go hiking sometimes. It's a great area to have a Bronco in, enjoy exploring it!

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 96! maybe you can give me some pointers on good hiking in the area. From what i've read there is a LOT of good hiking and biking up there!

·
Premium Member
'95 XLT: 5.8/MAF/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5x15
35,220 Posts
moving again huh? Co aught to be a good place to enjoy the rig and a few other legal things, if you're into that kinda thing. :toothless
Hope it works out well and you settle in "Happy". :thumbup

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
moving again huh? Co aught to be a good place to enjoy the rig and a few other legal things, if you're into that kinda thing. :toothless
Hope it works out well and you settle in "Happy". :thumbup
Thanks buddy! I am beyond psyched. You know me, always on the move. Austin's been fun, but I'm not big on crowds. Ready to be somewhere with mountains and snow and trails and rocks and trees and.... Green stuff. lots of green stuff. :smokin:

I got a phone call from one of my professors yesterday. He's the head of the film program which is what I'm enrolled in. Super nice guy, and he said he had actually hit some trails in his buddy's Jeep the day before. Some people just don't understand our obsession... I think it's good there's at least one person at my school that does :toothless

·
Registered
856 Posts
Welcome, in advance, to CO! Gunnison is a ways for me as well in Denver, but I enjoy getting to all parts of the state. For some mountain biking, you have amazing stuff in Fruita, CO and Moab, UT. The off-roading around you is amazing. You’ll have a great time.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
Gunnison is in the most beautiful part of CO, imo. There's an awesome Mexican cantina south of there in Creede (south, over the mountain). Also, there are a bunch of old mines in the area for exploring. One awesome one is called Last Chance Mine, and it's just barely hanging on the side of the mountain. Lots of wooden tressles too. If you like rock hunting, mineral county is about the best you can get other than dino bones.

My cousin just moved to Del Norte, probably 1.5 hours SE of Gunnison.

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
One thing to remember about Gunnison. It was one of the larger Uranium mining towns. Back in the 50's and 60's there were virtually NO Regulations for mine safety or hazardous waste treatment from Uranium mines. In fact, it wasnt long ago that there were huge tailing piles of pretty radioactive material lining the river. People of the town even came and removed alot of it to use for fill. back in the 90's the Government came in and Cleaned it up, but you never know what kind of contamination still persists, especially in the water table. So, it might not be a bad idea to ivest in an inexpensive Radiation detector. Preferably something that will detect Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. At least you will be able to tell what kind of background you are getting. Also make sure to get some Radon gas detectors for your house/apartment.

When considering radiation, Alpha is the worst if it gets ingested or inhaled. It produces high energy helium nuclei that only go a short distance before blowing to bits, but if its inside your body it will do terrible damage. Beta is made up mostly of ejected Electrons. It travels much farther than alpha and can be damaging if they are high energy electrons or are present in large quantity. Gamma rays go thru everything. It takes alot of material to attenuate gamma to a safe level.

Keep all of this in mind if you ever go exploring. Going inside old mine shafts is never a good idea, especially in the Gunnison area. The radioactive material present in the ores will produce Radon gas, which is highly radioactive. The lack of air circulation will concentrate the Radon to hazardous levels. You may not see any effects for 20 years or so, but it could result in cancer with repeated exposure over time.

Over 80% of all uranium miners who mined from the 30's to the 70's died of some form of cancer or thru exposure related disease.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
I was in no way encouraging the exploration of any mine shafts, just to be clear. Many mines in the area have awesome dilapidated surface structures, and they make for awesome photo backdrops. Many mine shafts also contain deadly gasses, that can kill in seconds.

Keep in mind also, that many large clawed and toothed mammals use mine shafts as homes and shelter. I usually pack a 45 revolver when venturing the mountains, just in case.

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I knew there were mines in the area but I had no idea they were that dangerous. Now that you've said that I will have to get myself one. Thanks so much for that useful information. Steve, I hope we can meet up at some point. I don't know what it's like up there but it's been difficult finding any fullsizes to wheel/explore with down here, can't imagine it'll be much different there. And of course, I'm always down for a hike leaving the truck behind. It'll be interesting moving somewhere so different from where I live now, but I think it will be a positive change.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
Gunnison is one of the most beautiful places in the US. There are amazing trails all around that part of Colorado. There are also alot of FSB Members in the general area to wheel with. You are right in the middle of some pretty amazing spots. Durango isnt far away, neither is Telluride, both are awesome towns I would love to live in.

This is Hartmans Rock

The town

Black Canyon

Here is a map link to the mines in Gunnison County. It will give you a good idea of places to go wheeling and exploring. Most of the mines that are on public land should have some pretty good (terrible) Roads to wheel on. Just make sure you arent on someones private land without permission. The above ground remains of the mines are very interesting to check out. Its also a great place to go metal detecting. You can find alot of cool old items left by the miners, and who knows, you might find a gold nugget if you do it long enough. Just stay out of the shafts and addits.
http://www.us-mining.com/colorado/gunnison-county

Definately check out last chance mine. its HIGH, at 10,000 feet. Wait a few weeks to adjust to the altitude before you venture up there. The new owner has opened the mine back up for tours and you can work the tailings to find awesome collectibles.
http://lastchancemine.com/index.php?n=Main.HomePage

·
Addicted to Junk
11,122 Posts
These are from the Creede and Spar City (private town) area. Buddy's mid 40s Willys and my 95 F250. Summer of 2007

I had more, but they were on my Facebook acct that got hacked.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey man I am over in Grand Junction but I spend a lot of time fly fishing up near you. Some amazing fishing, hiking and camping in your backyard! I would not want any other rig except my bronco out here with me. You will have a great time

·
Addicted to Junk
11,122 Posts
Last Chance was completely closed off when i was there in 2007. That's awesome that they opened it back up

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! This is so awesome that there are so many of y'all that are active around there!
This is really helpful. Thank you all for the information! I cannot wait to be in the area and hopefully eventually meet all of you!

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
836 Posts
Thanks 96! maybe you can give me some pointers on good hiking in the area. From what i've read there is a LOT of good hiking and biking up there!
Be glad to, I have been focusing mainly on the high peaks but there is a ton of overall hiking. Hit me up with a PM anytime you want to chat.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,122 Posts
I'm about 15 hours away, so meeting me would be a long shot, but I do make it out to CO at least once a year, especially with all the "trees" for sale out there. Couple buddies and I have a trip planned for late summer to Rollins (Corona) Pass to do some 12,000ft camping on the continental divide, near winter park.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts