Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I found out today that I am getting stationed at McGuire AFB. I would like to know anything about this place. Is there any offroading there? I also have a dirtbike. Anywhere to ride that? Is insurance expensive? Food? Gas? Diesel? I think this is going to be another big shock.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
I grew up there before moving to KY...and plan to move back eventually.

Cost of living is SLIGHTLY higher. But I don't think it will be too much of a shock for you. In my opinion, some of the best food you'll ever have. Make good use of NJT (New Jersey Transit) and make frequent trips to New York. Best Chinese down in Chinatown - I recommend the Excellent Dumpling House on LaFayette St (if I remember correctly, it is by Canal St) . Tons of things to do in the city. And several off-road clubs in NJ. Great fishing, great food, and MOSTLY nice people.

:beer
Bill

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ive gotten lost around MAFB plenty of times, since youll be in the southern section of jersey be prepared for overly aggressive drivers and MUD.......Lots of mud. thats pretty much it and the pine barrens. so with that ill leave you with this site.

Njfourwheelers.com

Besides FSB, njfourwheelers is the only message board youll ever need lol especially for the occaisional laugh or two :popc1: alot of the members on there are gonna be around your area

And to answer your questions about all the other stuff, Yes you can ride your bike probably at more spots than you can wheel your truck. Insurance will eat you alive.....im 21 have 2 twenty something year old trucks an no points against me an i pay 5,000$. NJ Inspections are probably the most strict than anywhere else except for cali. Gas prices suck! as they do everywhere even though they have gone down. Fortuanatly for you gas is 15 to 20 cents cheaper than it is up by me in north jers for some reason. Oh, an the food is greasy.Welcome to dirty jersey:thumbup

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4Wheelin Rust bucket said:
Njfourwheelers.com
WHOA that site is funny. I have been sitting here reading all the crap that goes on in there. I wonder why insurance is so high? That really blows. I am just going to leave my Alaska plates on my trucks. THey are good for two years each time I renew them. So I shouldnt have to deal with the inspections. But insurance I will haev to pay. Damn.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I was just there for a 6 week TDY (NCO Academy) and it was an alright place. There's not much to do for the family right around the base, but there's tons to do/see/eat about 10-15 minutes away. Philly and NYC are fairly close for weekend trips. The base shares a lot of facilities with Ft Dix, so they're fairly nice as well. There's a little bit of trails just outside one of the Ft Dix gates, which is nice to do with the family. Those trails are kind of narrow, resulting in some pin stripes on my '96, but it's not bad at all.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Been down to the base only once for an air show years ago, but its great. Heres a quick low down on Jersey, everyone hates the gas prices, insurance prices, the inpestion strictness, the cost of houses and the cost of living. You can eat any type/kind of food who want withing about a 15 min ride, and can find shopping malls within the same time zone. Everyone bitches and mones about it, but we all come back and love it at heart!:rockon Njfourwheelers.com is the place to be for you. Being down south, yeah mostly all mud, maybe some sand if you fish. but your not al that far from PA if you need some rocky wheelin. Welcome!:chili:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thanks fellas. Im not big into mud. I hate trying to get it all off afterwards. I may have to head over to the rocks in PA. Maybe I will just ride my dirtbike around in the mud. I dont mind pin stripes. Both sides of my bronco are covered with scratches.

I can not believe how many people on that website go out by themself and get stuck and have no way to get out. I was laughing at how many people posting saying they were stuck and needed help. Man that one (the mud hole or pit) section of the forums is absolutly hiliarious. I dont know how many hours I wasted reading crap in there.

I checked on insurance and it will only go up 8 bucks a month for me. No big deal. I am worried about fuel the most. Living 15-20 min away and driving to work. That is gonna suck. Maybe I will just buy a little POS honda to commute in.

Oh I have one more question. Whats the deal with guns there? Is this a ban state? If so I may have to leave a rifle at moms house.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
lol
so cjbronco and I the only ones from there that really like it. :goodfinge

As for the cost of living, when I compare it to here in KY, the only thing that I see majorly different is housing costs. When I was up there over Christmas...fuel prices were just about the same as here in KY...so I dunno.

You'll enjoy it, I think.

:beer
Bill

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
slim said:
Oh I have one more question. Whats the deal with guns there? Is this a ban state? If so I may have to leave a rifle at moms house.

If you have them bring them, to buy new ones you need a firearms ID card. You also need a seperate permit for each pistol you buy. Don't expect to get a CCW either. No hunting with a rifle either, shotgun, black powder, or archery. Magazines that hold over 15 rounds are illegal there as well.

NJ lift laws blow. Gas prices aren't that bad. I work in NJ and live in PA, gas/diesel is $0.20- $0.30 cheaper a gallon in NJ.

If your dirt bike is street legal you can run it though the state forests, if not there is a park not too far from your new home. You can also bring it to Paragon.

You are expected to make it to www.paragonap.com or www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.com when we go.

Welcome to the east coast. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
There's plenty of small towns around the base to find a decent place to live. That area also doesn't require you to have an attendant pump your gas for you.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Well thanks fellas. Im not big into mud. I hate trying to get it all off afterwards. I may have to head over to the rocks in PA. Maybe I will just ride my dirtbike around in the mud. I dont mind pin stripes. Both sides of my bronco are covered with scratches.
thtas the good part about the pines, you get muddy and then rip thru some deep water to wash off the truck. the bad part is there is silty sand in the water. there are some small hills here and there. lots and lots of sand pits to play in. wharton state forest is legal wheeling as long as you are registered and insured. and stay on the trails. that includes dirtbikes. most of the trails are jeep width, so you will get pinstripes.

the insurance is high because most of the state is filled with terrible drivers.

welcome to the left armpit of the union!

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
Disable your left turn signal now, and practive driving around an intersection to turn left. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
One other weird thing I remember while I was there. You have to turn on your headlights any time you use your windshield wipers!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bnkrtstk said:
You are expected to make it to www.paragonap.com or www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.com when we go.

Welcome to the east coast. :thumbup
Well I will try to be there unless I am deployed or my POS is broke.
broncobum said:
thtas the good part about the pines, you get muddy and then rip thru some deep water to wash off the truck.
Last time I went ripping through deep water this happened.

·
Registered
606 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
Disable your left turn signal now, and practive driving around an intersection to turn left. :thumbup
:rofl: haha or just disable your turn signals completly an practice flipping the :goodfinge

hey bronco bum, havent seen you around lately......

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
slim said:
Well I will try to be there unless I am deployed or my POS is broke.
There is usually more than one empty right seat. If you not deployed, you WILL be there. :goodfinge :box0715:

·
Registered
940 Posts
4Wheelin Rust bucket said:
:rofl: haha or just disable your turn signals completly an practice flipping the :goodfinge

hey bronco bum, havent seen you around lately......
hijack- been super busy and on the road alot. i didn't even sign up for welding this semester. we still need to do a jersey meet and greet.... maybe the njfourwheelers pines cleanup? :shrug /hijack

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bnkrtstk said:
There is usually more than one empty right seat. If you not deployed, you WILL be there. :goodfinge :box0715:
Well I guess we got that setteled. I WILL be there.:doh0715:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts