Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Enjoy my
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the better half and I are moving to the Rogersville, TN area for ~ 1 year. Any one here from the area?

Looking at housing options now (limited is a nice way of putting it). Only Cable game in town is Charter which from I hear is 'eh in customer service. Any one have a preference on Dish vs. Directv? Also, I am sick of paying the cable company $5 a month for a modem. Why I didn't look into this sooner but no doubt I have paid for one several times over since college. Does any one have any experience, suggestions on those? I see a few on Newegg and Charter 'lets' you use your own modem but some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

At least my carry permit is good up there :toothless

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
You definitely DO NOT want Dish. Their customer service is absolutely terrible. You may pay $10 less per month for it, but you will hate it. I had the choice to go Dish or DirecTV and I wound up going with DirecTV even though it cost $10 more per month for "the same" package. I have had no regrets. When I had 24 inches of snow falling from the sky, I never lost signal. While my buddy who had Dish loses all signal when a cloud moves overhead. When a pipe burst and flooded my crib, displacing me for two months, suspending my DirecTV service was as simple as calling the 1-800 number, entering my account number, pressing "2," and my service charges stopped and automatically resumed two months later when I moved back in. My buddy had issues with the install - Dish sends more private contractors who don't leave callback numbers and don't worry about doing a good job because they get sent out regardless. DirecTV sent a legit guy. He was great, on-time, didn't smell funny, got everything set up, and even took time to come back two weeks later when he wasn't scheduled to, so that he could re-run my cables under the floor (Didn't have the key to access the basement yet). So, for TV, if you go satellite, please, for the love of God, don't even consider Dish Network for a nanosecond.

As for cable internet... can't help you there. You'll be about two hours from me. One of our really good friends is a Bailey who hails from Baileyton, TN, not too far from Rogersville.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Rogersville is a neat little historic town.
Not a metropolis although it does have the requisite Autozone, Advance and sprinkling of fast food joints on hand.
Knoxville, Kingsport and Johnson City are close by though and have most of the "big city" amenities if desired.

Concerning cable and internet, I've had Charter for years and have had no real issues. I even switched my home phone to them a couple of years ago which saved quite a bit over the traditional land line.

Welcome to TN

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have dish and haven't had any problems except with my DVR went out. Got a new one right away though.

As for Charter I had them about 5 years ago an apartment. Didn't like it at all. I know there was a lot of complaints about them around here but it seems like they are trying to do better, at least around St. Louis.

·
Enjoy my
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I did my Wiki search on Dish and saw that Josh.

I am in a hotel in town looking for houses and working for the next week or 2, hopefully gonna start moving stuff up next week. Just gotta find the right person with lots of land that doesn't mind lots of noise every once in a while :armed

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
i have charter for basic cable and internet. i've been pretty happy.

which part of TN are you moving to? if its close to the NC line then im not far away.

You definitely DO NOT want Dish. Their customer service is absolutely terrible. You may pay $10 less per month for it, but you will hate it. I had the choice to go Dish or DirecTV and I wound up going with DirecTV even though it cost $10 more per month for "the same" package. I have had no regrets. When I had 24 inches of snow falling from the sky, I never lost signal. While my buddy who had Dish loses all signal when a cloud moves overhead. When a pipe burst and flooded my crib, displacing me for two months, suspending my DirecTV service was as simple as calling the 1-800 number, entering my account number, pressing "2," and my service charges stopped and automatically resumed two months later when I moved back in. My buddy had issues with the install - Dish sends more private contractors who don't leave callback numbers and don't worry about doing a good job because they get sent out regardless. DirecTV sent a legit guy. He was great, on-time, didn't smell funny, got everything set up, and even took time to come back two weeks later when he wasn't scheduled to, so that he could re-run my cables under the floor (Didn't have the key to access the basement yet). So, for TV, if you go satellite, please, for the love of God, don't even consider Dish Network for a nanosecond.

As for cable internet... can't help you there. You'll be about two hours from me. One of our really good friends is a Bailey who hails from Baileyton, TN, not too far from Rogersville.
coming from a former direct tv employee i can tell you that there are some in house guys but not alot of them. there is a 75% chance that you will get a contractor(as i was) and the only way to tell if they are a contractor or not is by the ID badge and some times the truck. i knew a few guys that drove white box vans with the direct tv magnet on the side of it, we all wore direct tv shirts and hats, and my companies ID badges said "PYRA contractor" on the back but said "Direct TV" on the front.

btw if anyone ever gets an offer to work for direct tv...... don't its alot of bullshit and some crappy pay.

when charter came out to do my install they sent a private contractor, but he got more perks than i did at DTV. heck i had to pay for my own wire and he got his free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts