Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran the truck with all the changes, actual changes where just maintenance.
1. Full tune up
2. Carburetor adjustment, set to rich
3. K&N Filter
4. Mobil One oil
5. Royal Purple in all the drive train parts, diffs, trans, transfer case.
6. Tire pressure as required.
7. 93 octane NO CORN fuel
Mixed driving some highway and some in town, very LITTLE stop and go. No hard STOP (Stomp The Old Pedal) or (Spin Tires On Pavement) driving.
14.23 MPG SAME as the Rover I sold so we are Happy!!!!
Will try it on Cruise Control this weekend. :beer

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Nice job. That's Damn good for a carb'd 351. So much for all the guys saying you'll be lucky to get 9 or 10 mph. People just talking out of their assess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job. That's Damn good for a carb'd 351. So much for all the guys saying you'll be lucky to get 9 or 10 mph. People just talking out of their assess.
Everyone has their opinion on cars, heck our 2003 Vette gets 28 on the highway with Cruise Control. If I was 23 instead of 63 I would get 10 or 14.
PS Thanks for your service Marine.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
No we were just quoting the STOCK sticker from what ford said... go here: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Ford1985.shtml

Off the lot the sticker on this bronco said:

City
Combined
Highway

Very hard to pull 14 out of that 3 speed with a 351.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What trans are you running again?
New 3 speed automatic 32.5" tires.
Used the GPS with the Fuel calculator in the Garmin and just plugged in the numbers.
Drove it to Columbia which is 125 Round Trip and checked it again and:
Distance 125.6
Fuel Purchased 8.37 Gallons
MPG 15.005
Conditions where Normal driving using cruise with a MAX speed of 62 mph. Most of the time going back roads it is 55 mph.
I would probably see 9 or 10 at 70 mph, but that is not what the truck was bought for I have the 6 cyl Ranger for that type of driving.
All in All a GREAT truck.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Having 33s makes up a little for not having overdrive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How are the in town numbers?
14.3 in town to hot foot to kill it. Gearing checks out to 2,500 rpm = 62.1 mph.
I ALSO think the Royal Purple was a help since it cuts down on the friction on the gears. We run it in the modified and show NO ring and pinion wear on a dirt car that spends 90% of the time around 6,500 to 7,000 rpm.
Watch this video and you can see the tach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFsUjaXPnVg
Little different than Wheeling that you folks do.

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
Good stuff. I used to get 15 out of mine, that carb'ed 351HO is no joke when you get it dialed in. If you are already running 93 octane you should bump your timing up to 14* btdc for a little extra grunt down low and maybe a little mileage increase.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
my 93 with a 351, E4OD, 35's and stock gears got 9 mpg. there's no talking out of my ass on that one and i've posted that same comment to people wanting good MPG's out of a lifted/bigger tired bronco many times. now i'm running 4.88's (which made it go to 10 mpg) and a ZF5 speed and i get 13 mpg's in the city. havent checked highway yet.
now i will give agree with you on a stock bronco there's no reason not to get mileage in the teens but with larger tires it does end up sucking. i wonder what i'll get when i go to 37's.......hmmm....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dang you can still get non ethanol 93 octane? We only have one station left that I know of in my area that has no corn fuel but only in the 87 octane variety.

I can't remember the last time I saw 93 octane ethanol free.
The place here is Gregg's Gas Plus and it is 93 with no corn and as of today $3.48 per gallon.
I will see how it runs a REAL FUEL since I have 15 gallons for the race car with no more races to run. I usually burn it up in the 928s but will try it in the 86. It is a slight blend of Methanol and 114 VP race fuel. Should be about 1/2 turn richer on the Holly and be fine. This should be 5 gallons of this brew with the balance being 93. Do not THINK this could run on that stuff pure.
SO FAR all we have found that this needs is (2) light bulbs, one one passenger side and one in the cluster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts