Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I picked up a second Bronco to hang out with my green one “The Tennessee Warden.” This one is more for my wife - a blue/white two tone 95 XLT. It has the 5.8L/E4OD combo and is in stock condition. The name is “Bonnie Blue.”

I got it for $4000, and it has 212k on the body and 32k on the rebuilt 5.8 and E4OD.

First step, as usual, is clean-up. There is only a little rust behind the drivers side front wheel, door jamb bottom, and bottom of the tailgate.....or so I though. Yay rust!

I’m gonna have to drill out the seat belt bolts in the body I think - since the torx head is rusted and won’t catch anything, and I broke one bolt for the rear seat back latch plate.

Plans here are to clean up and patch the holes, roll on bedliner most likely, and new padding and black or charcoal carpet. The bedside panels will get painted gray along with all the other trim and dash/door cards/console. Or this could turn into a blue/gray two tone interior - that might look pretty good actually.

Here we go! (yikes) lol.

·
Registered
'94 XLT; 5.8; E40D
42 Posts
Looks like a good project!
following for progress pics and ideas for my own 94

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I’ve been doing some more cleanup and trim painting. The wife wants the interior to be tan and not blue, so I’m have started painting the trim pieces with Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Interior pint - it turns out very nice.

The brake pedal was sucking down when pressed and would not return to its starting position, so new booster went in.

Also found that the ignition timing was set to TDC. So I set it to 10° BTDC and it’s running so much better now.

I picked up a 94.5” belt and bypassed the smog pump. The air pipes were literally routed all over the pass side, leaving the pump, snaking around, and back to the pump. Whaaaa??? Jesus. Dumb.

Found this after removing the bedside panels.

Local guy wanted $400 to repair these inner fenders. So I spent $240 and picked up a welder, extra wire, and some 1/8” plate - I’ll fix it myself, including all the other holes I have found.

Ordered a full set of carpet from Rock Auto in Medium Mocha. Also found these seats locally for $150. I should have them soon.

Until next time....

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple new window seals - exterior ones for now, and I’ll replace the inners when I repaint the door cards. I’ve apparently cleaned all the locals stores out of the Duplicolor desert tan rattle cans lol.

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven’t done much work on this rig lately. It’s been too freakin cold outside to do much for too long. But...I need a new rear bench, and the fender wells where the rear seat belt reels mount are rusted out. I’m going to repair them, but I don’t trust my welding skills for something so important, so I’ve been thinking of other options.

Then it came to me - Suburban third row, since it has seat belts integrated. I have to fab new rear seat brackets anyway since the OEM ones were rusted to hell anyway. So why not do this?

Found this seat near me for a cool $30! So this is the new plan. Even if it doesn’t fold forward properly, doesn’t matter - the wife won’t be carrying anything that big anyway. That’s my job lol.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,146 Posts
nice score..that's a steal for $30..

Reactions: MS88Bronc

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
nice score..that's a steal for $30..
The guy I bought it from told me the price was so low because he couldn’t fold the seat back flat. I said ok. Got it home and noticed the floor latches were open, as if it were not installed obviously. I closed them, to simulate it being installed, and the seat back folded flat just fine. Seller must not have put 2+2 together. So it works just fine.

·
Registered
81 custom 351W Manual 4spd 83 XLT 302 manual 3spd OD
133 Posts
Thats the best deals when the original owner does not know how something works. Good job on that one.

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I pulled out the drivers seat and the rest of the old carpet. The cab floors look decent, with the exception of the area behind the console, but both rockers are bad. So I ordered two new rockers from JBG and I’ll drop by and pick them up at will call. The front seat belts are no good also, with little frayed spots and small rips - that’s not safe at all, and the anchor points on the rockers are rusted.

The rear bench that I’ll be installing has seat belts integrated into it, so I don’t need the stock belts there. So I got to doing a little research and lo and behold, I’m going to pick up a set of 2008 F-250 ext cab front buckets with integrated seat belts! It’ll take a little creativity to get it to fit I think, but I’ll make it work.

Here’s the drivers side rocker - not as bad as pass side, but still needs replacing.

Here’s the front seats I’m picking up - no need for stock seat belts with these!

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Picked up the seats today and brought them home to try out. They fit pretty well and conform well to the topography of the Bronco floorboard. They don’t line up with the bolt holes though. So I’ll be drilling new holes in the floor, reinforcing with 1/8” steel plate, and welding in some threaded inserts to secure them with grade 8 bolts. One of the seats had some sort of side bracket for what I assume was for a console or something, so that got lopped off. I tested the drivers seat power operation and all of it works, so I’ll tie into the lumbar support pigtail for the old bronco seat and it should be good to go. (y)

Testing the power seat:

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More rust repair adventures! Back is done and carpet in. Now for the front - bad section of floor behind the console area and both rockers are toast. So...cut them out and replaced the metal with 1/16 sheet and new rockers from JBG.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts