Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

81 - 100 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Call Mark Oneal @ Vigilante Performance Parts. He is Mr Probe pistons and now offering other brands of piston cranks and rods. Probe or Scat I beam rods will do you just fine. I don't see a need to go overboard.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Call Mark Oneal @ Vigilante Performance Parts. He is Mr Probe pistons and now offering other brands of piston cranks and rods. Probe or Scat I beam rods will do you just fine. I don't see a need to go overboard.
Thanks Hillbilly - I’ll check them out.

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Got the call from the machine shop this morning. They said the cylinders are now bored 0.030” over, freeze plugs and cam bearings are installed, and the crank polished out fine and does not need to be turned 0.010” under. So I can go ahead with parts orders now for 0.030” over pistons and standard main and rod bearings. (y)

I should have the block and crank back by late this week or early next week.

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Parts on the way:

Flotek 180/58 cc aluminum heads (going to pick up this weekend from a friend)

Edelbrock 3881 EFI intake
Comp cams 35-512-8 cam
Roller lifters
Pushrods
Comp cams double roller timing set
24# injectors
Ford Racing tall valve covers
Aluminum 1.6 roller rockers
Fed Mogul rebuild kit (flat top 0.030” pistons, rings, oil pump, gasket set, main, cam, and rod bearings, and freeze plugs)
ARP head bolts
ARP timing cover bolts/studs
Water pump backing plate
Oil pickup
Summit shorty EGR headers
Spark plug heat shields
Remflex header gaskets
JEGS Harmonic balancer
Scat forged I-beam rods
BBK twin 56mm TB
Flex plate and bolts
Water pump
Water neck
Intake bolts
Hoses
T stat 192° fail safe
Senders/sensors

*whew

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,636 Posts
Yeehaw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, NP208 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears LSD rear, 235/75/15 HK ATM
435 Posts
Merry Christmas to you! When are you going to have it all together?

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Merry Christmas to you! When are you going to have it all together?
I’ll start building as soon as all the parts are here, which should be in the next week or two since some are shipping on Covid time it seems. I should have it all built in a few weeks - it’ll go quick once everything is here. Planning on the engine swap when it warms up a little more in the spring. Temps in the teens and twenties aren’t fun since I don’t have a nice heated shop!

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Put a little engine enamel on the block in the exposed areas - taped off the mating surfaces and what will get covered later.

Also, I’m thinking about painting the Edelbrock lettering on the intake. Considering using the body matched Pacific Green Metallic on the letters - spraying the paint onto some glossy cardboard and hand painting it on with a small paintbrush. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, NP208 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears LSD rear, 235/75/15 HK ATM
435 Posts
If you do the same on a set of the old school looking edlebrock valve covers I think it would look great. I also think that Is a rare color that would actually look good if you painted the whole intake and polished the letters. So often the painted intakes look crappy.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Summit shorty EGR headers
Remflex header gaskets
Intake bolts
i don't know if you saw or not, but the remflex gaskets are super thick and prompted me to buy longer header bolts. i got some from summit (milodon brand) for like $10. @BigBlue 94 has mentioned a different brand of gaskets that seem to work well but aren't quite as thick.

summit also sells house branded stainless steel IM bolts.

the headers, i realize you already ordered, but i would have suggested the ceramic coated headers, unless you're coating them yourself. if that wasn't in the plan, maybe look into it?

sounds like a sweet build coming together!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,362 Posts
Looks like it's all coming together. FWIW when I swapped out the old gaskets for the remflex, I was able to use the original bolts..

Reactions: MS88Bronc

·
The Tennessee Warden
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Yeah @dash_cam I was going to get the ceramic headers but, to be honest, I was running out of budget! I picked up the Summit ones and I’m going to try to paint them with this 2000° VHT paint I have and hope for the best. If that doesn’t do the trick, I’ll wrap them later. The intake bolts I got were Edelbrock stainless ones - I must have missed the Summit ones. Probably could have saved a few bucks on those. Oh well. I’ll have to see how the header bolts work out with the Remflex gaskets.

@jermil01 yessir it is. A buddy is letting me borrow his piston ring filer this weekend, so I hope to get started building soon.

And.......more stuff arrived today:

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,362 Posts
Couple of things..long term, that paint isn't going to hold upon those headers..you might get a few months out of it but you'll wind up needing to reapply...second, don't wrap them..the wrap retains moisture and if you're not driving everyday and burning it off, that's the quickest way to make them rust..

Reactions: MS88Bronc

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
haha there's no shame in that. it costs a shitload of money to rebuild an engine to stock form. throwing all these extra parts will make it skyrocket.

another thing you might consider is studs for the headers. but i don't even know if that would be better. in a couple spots on my headers i couldn't get a nut on a stud. the header bolts have a teeny tiny head that is smaller than a nut. but at the same time, there is at least one spot where it would be useful. right now i have a very low budget looking hodge podge of reused bolts where i needed to attach brackets, header bolts from BBK that are shorter than i like, new milodon header bolts, and then a couple longer stainless bolts that need to be swapped with the new header bolts.

81 - 100 of 153 Posts