Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Installed a 30” curved single row light bar in the grille with a bracket kit from Solo. Still have to wire it in permanently, but I tested it with a spare battery and it looks and works good!

I also wire wheeled and repainted bumpers and sliders with spray on bedliner.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Wow nice work

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Well, I caught a mistake I made, and it’s a good thing too. I had installed pushrods in my new engine that were the correct size but were meant for standard rocker arms on stock heads. So I ordered the correct HARDENED pushrods, since these heads use guide plates to keep the pushrods and roller rockers in position on the valve stems. This could have been bad, but now I’m in business. Weather is getting nice, so engine swap day will be coming soon! Anyone need some pushrods? Lol

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Did some wiring. Installed several relays to control auxiliary lights - bumper lights front and rear, and a 30” light bar in the grille. I also wired up my portable air compressor in the rear to use when out wheeling.

All of this is controlled by the switch panel on the center console that I built and installed. It also has a Garmin GPS, gauges for the new engine, cup holders, and a large cargo area inside.

First, the console:

Then, the lights:

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,482 Posts
Very nice work. Any product reviews, impressions, recommendations, etc?

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Very nice work. Any product reviews, impressions, recommendations, etc?
Thanks bud. Most of the pieces of this were bought on Amazon - relays, reels of wire, switch panel, cup holders, etc. I had the Garmin sitting in my basement from years ago lol, since newer cars mostly have Nav built in. It’s been updated with new maps and it good to go now though.

The Smittybilt compressor is the 2781 with 5.65 cfm - it can inflate my 35-12.50/15 tires from 12 psi to 35 psi in about 5 minutes per tire, so it’s great! Only complaint is that the connections are not standard quick release - they’re proprietary Smittybilt. I plan to convert it somehow to standard fittings so I can ditch the cheap-ish coiled plastic air line.

All of the relays, fuse block, and connections were made using crimp-on connectors and then secured with heat shrink tubing. The larger wires for the compressor (8 ga and 4 ga) were connected with solder and heat shrink.

I have two more open switches on the switch panel, I’ll use both of them soon. One will be for a set of four LED flood pods on the roof - they will be mounted to the roof basket and will point down to the corners to light the entire area around the bronco. The last switch will be for an interior cargo light in the back - I don’t have one and it would be great to have light back there!

·
38,482 Posts
sounds like a great plan. Amazon though. ugh. ;)

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Engine swap day on the books - this coming Saturday June 12. I’m pretty sure I have all the little parts I need, and there are a lot of things that will get transferred from the old engine to the new one. I’m stoked!

·
38,482 Posts
She's lookin' like a dandy there on the stand. Hope it all goes smoothly.

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 · (Edited)
Install day! Got the old engine out, and I have a buyer coming for it soon - sold it for $500 mostly complete except for what I needed to move to the new engine.

@sackman9975 came over to help me (tremendously) to get this done. Getting the old one out had a few issues - but after a few hours of struggling, it came out. Long day working on this, but at the end of the day, we finally got the new engine installed and bolted up to the transmission. Next, we have to start hooking everything back up. Weather man calling for rain tomorrow dammit, but we’ll see if we can do anything. Getting there!

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Here’s the first crank, smoke and rocker tapping:

Found the rocker:

Here it is after adjusting the rocker arm down. Running better, but still needs a tune and possibly timing adjustment.

Tuner guy is coming over tomorrow….

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Had a bad injector flooding number 6 and had to wait for a replacement to arrive. It arrived and I swapped it out. That was it! Running like a champ now. Took it for a drive and it’s running great. I think I need to bump the timing about 2° but very happy with this!

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 · (Edited)
Well, I decided to drive the bronco to work yesterday. She did very well! I avoided the freeways for now, to try and avoid holding a constant speed/rpm for long times and tempting fate with cylinder wall glazing during my "ring-seating" phase. So, I put some load on it, downshifted at stops for some "engine-braking", and tried to vary the engine operating parameters all day. The piston rings should be pretty well seated now. I have put about 120 miles on this engine so far. I'm going to finish off this tank of gas, which should be about another 120 miles or so, and change the oil and filter one more time. The AutoMeter gauges are showing: Oil P is around 28-30 psi at idle and increases to around 55 psi while accelerating and cruising; coolant temp hovers between 195-205 once at operating temperature; trans temp stays between 140-160, depending on how hot it is that day.

I'm thinking about running a synthetic or synthetic blend oil in this engine starting with the next oil change - honestly - it's mainly because conventional oil is getting so hard to find these days! I was thinking a 5W30 should be good, since it does get pretty cold here in the winter, and I'll take it out once in a while when the roads are dry. I figure after this initial 240-250 miles of driving, that should be enough time to capture any machining dust and piston ring dust that rebuilt engines create.

Any other opinions on this? Anyone think I need a second 500 mile oil batch or anything like that?

This engine is sweet! I have the ignition timing set at 12 BTDC and I may experiment a bit more with this. I had it at 10 and it acted like it wanted more advance, so I went to 12. I may give 14 a shot as well and see how it acts - with higher compression (9.8:1) and currently running 89 octane, it may do well.

Super big shout out to @sackman9975 for all his (in person) help in getting this engine swap done! I'll come by soon and we can go for a joy-ride!

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,944 Posts
If you go full syn. you can use a higher viscosity. I Usually run at least 10-30 in most of my stuff, even in the winter (not that, that is a big differance). The full syn. will not thicken up like a traditional oil will.
I also think you should be ok by now. But You could also add a bottle of Zinc, I know autozone has Lucas one. Sub about 1/2 quart oil for that. Other stores may too, but Working there part time I know they do.

Sounds like good engine, from what I saw on build it should be a good "Bronco" type build. You will really see it shine in the dunes...

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Good to know. Full syn 10w30 would work. Almost have 250 miles or so on it. I’ll be changing the oil out this week - hopefully I can find somewhere to bring used oil soon. My drain pan is full and every store I call says they are full because there are no oil trucks driving around??

It’s driving great though. It’s not tuned yet, but it’s running well - may run better with a tune. Still getting used to the sound of the idle - I keep turning down the radio to listen for something and then I’m like “oh yeah, different idle now” lol.

I’m noticing an interesting side effect of the higher compression too. It has a noticeable difference in coasting - it has a lot more “engine braking” effect than it used to just when coasting to a stop.

161 - 180 of 201 Posts