Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I purchased and installed MSD Atomic EFI in my 1979 Bronco powered by a 1970 BB Ford 460.

(I have had several PM's and posts asking about the Atomic).

I bought the master system with Fuel pump for around $2100. (It claims you can install it in a morning and be cruising that evening) I am slow.

You have to install 2 sensors ECT Engine coolant temp and Wide Band 02 sensor. If your exhaust is not already setup for a WB02 sensor they supply a bung you will have to drill a hole and weld it in.

If you can't weld there are places online that sell ones that clamp on. Around $40.

Why I selected MSD over Holly or Edelbrock throttle body efi systems:
(For this BB 460 the only out of the box kit options was a throttle body system no one made a bolt on sequential efi, except one person on ebay and it didn't seem like a real company with real support)

MSD Atomic can control timing. It does require other MSD parts to do so. That is my nexted plan engine upgrade after I take care of some other items.

RacePak also has a digital interface that shows over 21 parameters on 4 screens and can monitor just about everything as long as you want to install the sensors as needed.

The MSD looked to have the cleanest installation as the ECU is built into the throttle body which eliminated excess cables running from to the throttle body and some of the sensors.

As you can see here there are not many wires, the red atomic module on the firewall is the power module and can be installed almost anywhere. It has 3 harnesses the Throttle body harness, the Handheld Harness and the timing and fans harness. It can controller up to 2 fans based on ECT.

This is it completely installed and ready to run.

This is the handheld I ran into the Cab of the Bronco:

Before cranking the engine the first time there are a few things you have to set in the handheld. The engine size, number of cylinders and cam setup. After that you can turn the key and crank the engine.

This is how the engine looked before I started these engine mods.

Now i have excellent throttle response and it is running pretty smooth. It is a self adjusting EFI so it does take a little time for it to level out.

Ask questions I will try to answer if I can, and will follow up when enable the timing control feature.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,050 Posts
Good info here, I know I was one of the ones that sent a PM, nice to see some pictures of the install for it. When you say control fans the fans hook up straight to the MSD controller or it just has outputs to go to your fan relay or solenoid?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info here, I know I was one of the ones that sent a PM, nice to see some pictures of the install for it. When you say control fans the fans hook up straight to the MSD controller or it just has outputs to go to your fan relay or solenoid?
This wire supplies ground to activate the circuit. It must go to
the ground circuit of a relay to control a fan. (x2) It will turn the fans on based on the tempature you set in the handheld based on the ECT.

It also has another wire you can hook to your AC compressor wire when the compressor kicks on it will increase the rpms.

(i currently don't have electric fans, but in the next next couple of weeks I will have a fan on my new AC condenser, that came with my aftermarket AC and also I will be installing electric fans on my radiator.)

All of these are optional controls, I currently just have them rolled up and wire tied out of sight.

·
Registered
289 Posts
This is awesome information!

I have been debating biting the bullet and going for this kit or trying a Holley Truck Avenger...

You say you got the system for $2100, if you don't mind me asking was that out the door after taxes, or before?

Where did you source it from? Atomic directly?

I'm guessing you haven't gotten to play around with it a ton yet but how's the tunability? Does it need tunability, or does the 'learing' system take care of things good enough?

Did you have to install the electric fuel pump in the tank, or outside the tank along the frame rail? Did you go with a return, or returnless system? What motivated your decision here?

Sorry for all the questions just super excited to see someone post real world experiences with this system :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say you got the system for $2100, if you don't mind me asking was that out the door after taxes, or before?
The exact cost was $2186 plus shipping. I paid for 2 day shipping for $58.

http://lightningmotorsports.com/msd/msd-atomic-efi-master-kit/2900/i-2120078.aspx

Where did you source it from? Atomic directly?
I had never ordered from this company before and was skeptical at first since they were $300 ish cheaper than everyone else. So I paid with my Amex as Amex is really good about giving your money back if things don't go right.

I received the unit in 2 business days, so all was good with this company/website it was drop shipped directly from MSD per the packaging.

I'm guessing you haven't gotten to play around with it a ton yet but how's the tunability? Does it need tunability, or does the 'learing' system take care of things good enough?
So far I have not done any custom tuning, it is self learning and seems to be about right for my setup.

Custom settings:
Idle RPM
Cam type
AF Ratio for Idle, Cruise and WOT.
Timing settings (requires other msd parts)

This system is not a full blow tune yourself with a laptop system it is more for people who want to tweak a little and drive a lot. From what I can tell.

Did you have to install the electric fuel pump in the tank, or outside the tank along the frame rail? Did you go with a return, or returnless system? What motivated your decision here?
I installed it on the frame rail and it is installed now as a returnless system. The MSD Atomic controls the pwm fuel pump.

Finances dictated the fuel pump install, that and my bronco lives in a garage and isn't driven all day in the heat. If it becomes an issue you can always go back and install the return system and regulator. Must of the installations I read all did the install on the frame rail.

You can see it in this picture:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Really nice, you answered a lot of questions a lot of us have about the efi systems. what about msd consumer help if needed?
Can't speak for everyone but many thanks for this post.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really nice, you answered a lot of questions a lot of us have about the efi systems. what about msd consumer help if needed?
Can't speak for everyone but many thanks for this post.
When I first installed the system, it would crank and run for 3-5 seconds and shutoff. I called MSD and one of their techs walked me through troubleshooting everything. It ended up being an issue with the accel coil and the old ignition system.

I also called and asked them questions before I purchased it about the fuel pump options and again the other day when I was installing the new intake I wanted to be sure I was using the correct gasket.

Every time I had someone on the phone within 5-8 minutes and all were very helpful.

·
Administrator
2,884 Posts
I totally love this set up, although instead Of there fuel pump I went with the edelbrock sump set up. It works perfect with the MSD and the MSD controls it.

From there handheld I was able to adjust idle RPM, timing, air fuel mixture to get it running and driving perfect. The computer also learns pretty fast as we'll for the fine tuning

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what kind of gas mileage you getting now?
No Idea. When I installed the MSD Atomic, I also upgraded from the 25 gallon tank to a 33 gallon tank and a new sending unit.

I hope I am getting between 8-11 mpg but it will probably be a couple weeks before I know for sure.

I do not have a light foot and this bronco with a 460 with EFI runs like a sports car with me driving it.

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
I run an old Holley set up, I would like to upgrade to this one day but for $2200 it will have to wait for quite a while!

Thanks for the details man, looks like it installs very similarly to the Holley.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I run an old Holley set up, I would like to upgrade to this one day but for $2200 it will have to wait for quite a while!

Thanks for the details man, looks like it installs very similarly to the Holley.
I will agree it isn't cheap. But hopefully it will be dependable and reliable.

I think the biggest difference I found for me in the Holly and the MSD the ECU being mounted inside the Throttle body of the MSD and Holly would only control ford timing if it is TFI.

My second place choice would have been the Edelbrock E-Street with the tablet option. If it would have been upgradable to control timing I would have went that direction.

(Who knows I may never set the timing up like I plan, but i like having the option)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Couple more questions...

How does this system handle the transmission kick down? Do you hook it up as normal? Stock or aftermarket lever?

Regarding the O2 sensor and bung; how does the system handle a true dual exhaust? Is it ok that the O2 reading would be taken from only 1 side of the exhaust?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used the edelbrock 1406 throttle and kick down bracket. I think it costs $15. That is what msd recommended. If you are already using an edelbrock carb you can reuse your bracket.

I have true duals. Msd says you can install into a single primary tub if running headers or either side of duals. Just follow their recommendations and make sure you have no leaks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
nice read.
went off roading with Kentucky Krawlers with my 79 460 with 35' tires 6' lift and a holley 600 vacuum carb and i bounced so much the carb acted up,.... looking to can the carb and go fuel injection,...... tired of it stutering.
Going with an atlas 3 speed transfer case to slow it down on the trail too,...... 205's arent low enough.
Would love to know of your gearing and any mods to engine prior to injection.
You said you are hoping for 8-10 mpg so im assuming your either running lower gears or have a slightly tweaked 460.
I have stock 3.50 gears in the 44 and the 9' so im running high geared but highway cruising is effortless and fuel mileage is excellent at 55 to 60 mpg,.... 75 mph fuel mileage is still good but not excellent.
Im going to attempt to build a bronco with decent street manners and capable offroad ability,... the fuel injection is one of the mods that i was concidering and after this past ride,..... a must :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I honestly haven't checked the gearing yet.

The other day at 70mph I was running 2400 rpm. With 33" tires.

Only mod to the engine was the edelbrock 460 performer intake. The engine was rebuilt at some point but I have no clue what they used. A couple of mpg readings I got before the msd was in the 8mpg range.

I am not chasing good mpg just better performance and reliability. So as long as I am still getting 8mpg I am happy.

Just make sure you don't have exhaust or intake leaks. You might do better with a better fuel pump than provided. This setup only supports upto 525hp.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's still throttle body injection. Which is far inferior to sequential multiport injection, which is now become obsolete in light of direct injected engines. $2K for a TBI system when you could've run a fully tuneable factory Ford SEFI system doesn't make any sense to me. However, if you're keen on retaining the old school carb'd look, sure.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's still throttle body injection. Which is far inferior to sequential multiport injection, which is now become obsolete in light of direct injected engines. $2K for a TBI system when you could've run a fully tuneable factory Ford SEFI system doesn't make any sense to me. However, if you're keen on retaining the old school carb'd look, sure.
Now show me where to buy an out of the box sequential efi system for a 1970 ford 460. That comes with installation support and warranty.

Let me go ahead and tell you. It doesn't exist. If it did I would have purchased it.

Also there is another huge difference. In a year if I blow my 460 and decide to install a 351/400 or any other engine I can strap a 4 barrel intake to this system will still work.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Now show me where to buy an out of the box sequential efi system for a 1970 ford 460. That comes with installation support and warranty.

Let me go ahead and tell you. It doesn't exist. If it did I would have purchased it.

Also there is another huge difference. In a year if I blow my 460 and decide to install a 351/400 or any other engine I can strap a 4 barrel intake to this system will still work.
If I were stuck out in the middle of a desert or mountain range with a no-run situation, I'd rather be running a retrofitted OEM setup, but that preference is based on how I use my Bronco. I have decades of experience retrofitting, tuning, and debugging Ford SEFI systems so I'm obviously more comfortable with that. I know how to get the system to limp me home because Ford engineered that into their designs. That being said, I'm not even concerned about support and warranty since that has never helped me in a situation where I've genuinely been stuck out in the bush. In all honesty, the only equipment failures I've experienced with Ford EFI have been loose ground connections, bad TPS and IAC sensors, and a dead O2. If you run EDIS then you really have very little to worry about in terms of the electronics.

In any case, to each his own. I injected my Bronco because I was tired of of the engine misbehaving when the truck was crawling at abnormal angles. I was also tired of having to coax the engine when it was cold. I also wanted better fuel economy. I'm also a professional computer engineer and find hunting for precious items in junkyards appealing, so please don't take my earlier response the wrong way. As I stated before, even SEFI is obsolete in light of direct injection!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts