Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed everything from the CC back on my FSB yesterday and routed the new pipes to exit in front of the right rear tire. The exhaust tone is almost the same, nice and mellow. So my questions are:

1. Is this legal in the state of Virginia?
2. Am I creating any problems with back pressure?
3. Should the exhaust have been quite a bit louder, am thinking I may have a problem with the CC being backed up a bit?
4. Anything else I'm missing here?

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
not legal but cool

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did the same thing and I think its great. Good sound and a slight HP increase,due to lower back pressure.

·
Registered
490 Posts
did you do it so there is no muffler, just a pipe going from the cat than back and out? So it wouldn't be worth it for me to get a flowmaster if i remain with the stock cat? Not trying to steal thread sorry.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Not legal therefore you will fail VA inspection. Even if you get around the inspection you can still get a ticket if you get pulled over.

·
Registered
86 Posts
:histerica haha no u cant run with out a muffler,atleast in AZ, trust me i know..the pipe goin into my muffler blew out cus the damn cheap clamp didnt and no weld, so i drove it around like that for a while.big no no where i live, got pulled over a few day later...then took it into my shop and welded it back up

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Wow, you guys emmision and inspection laws suck.

In Ga. removing the muffler is legal, as long as you have cats and it will pass the actual emmisions test.

There is no law here saying you need a muffler.

But if it is insainly loude (and it would have to be almost as loud as open headers) then Johny Law can wright you a ticket for noise polution.
And I have never heard of that actualy happening.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I checked. Yes it is legal in Vir. without a muffler. As long as the exhaust exits behind the cab. The guy at Mitas (there inspector) said it would pass inspection.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
When I originally got my exhaust done, it had a glasspack, and I passed fine. A week later, a good friend of mine had the EXACT same setup put on his 97 f150, and he failed because the inspector said that he could not have a "JET PIPE" on his exhaust.

I went back there the next day with him, and they guy said the same thing, and I politely asked him to explain to me what a "JET PIPE" was, and when he could not, I explained to him that a "baffle-less" muffler was perfectly legal, and showed him a printout from the company it was ordered from saying "50 state legal". The inspection center down here in CMCH is a friggin PITA. They tried to fail me for having a light on in the corner of my instrument cluster that they could not identify. Was a solid little LED that I put in to let me know if my underbody lights were on. They come on when the door is open, and they had the door open. I basically talked to a brick wall for 10 minutes before the manager came out and let me pass because I was making a scene. The results you get are amazing when you start yelling in front of other people. Managers do NOT like that.

·
Registered
319 Posts
if you guys get really fed up w/ that stuff you can move to Michigan, we kick ass!!!
How bout punched out cats?? is it just a visual inspection, cause that flys around here.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
:histerica

·
Registered
132 Posts
what do you have to get inspected for, emissions? minnesota did away with that about 8 years ago.you can run anything you want and be fine unless it's on the loud side, you could get a disturbance ticket if you run into a hard up cop.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I live here in The Amazing California. We punched out a cat on my buddies Bronco and the tone changed quite a bit. We put on a 40 series Flowmaster, Tone was great. Went to pass smog two years later, no good.
4 years later (three months ago) he passes smog for the first time legally since then. He's been paying $200 to different shops to pass it. He went and bought a cheap ass car catalytic, had it welded on and the thing sounds exactly the same as it did before the new cat.

Long story. Little point. I think the cats were plugged in the beginning. There never was any performance to talk about with that little 302.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts