Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have mentioned before I am not done much mechanical work other than brakes, tune ups etc. But I want to learn to do it all myself.

I have picked up "Automotive Technology: a Systems Approach" (4th edition) and am in the process of reading that beast. (Great book for the beginner, btw)

I was wondering if there are any books you gurus would consider "must have"?

Or jsut anything you think I would find useful...

Thanks,
NJB

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
A Haynes manuel for your vehicle is a must.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
Screw the Haynes/chiltons. Get on ebay or see your dealer and order the Ford service manual alot better info.

Junkyard spotters guides are good. They have them on ebay, pocket size book with all casting numbers, dates and model for each Auto manufacture.

Also i couldn't live without a Hollander exchange manual. Look fer used as they run around 300 bucks new

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Don't go too general

Here's one that's fairly specific and good for people learning as they go;

Might be too simple for a lot of old hands here, but it's also a good reference for Ford truck owners. I found it helpful and well written.

Sixlitre

p.s./
I'm still loving this one right now;

They make a newer one too, if you need it.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Steve83 said:
Screw ebay - download it free.

I also highly recommend Army FMs 21-22 & 21-305 for off-road driving & self-recovery. If you can't find hard copies, & your account can handle 20M, I can e-mail them to you.

you can google it and get it online. also look for the army manual for wheeled vehicle operators. it will tell you a bunch of wartime fixes that just so happen to be good for the trail as well.

ken

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Hayne's Tech books. Get the Brake book and the Ford Auto transmission book, at least.

Also, it doesn't hurt to have both the Haynes and Chilton's books for the truck. I always kept them in the truck, and then the full service manual stayed in the garage. It's nice to have the quick reference when something breaks while you're away from your tools and book collection.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Steve83 said:
That's 21-305. :shrug

I know that but it comes up on google easier than 21-305.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lots of good info thanks much!

I was going to ask about theHaynes technical guides.. I saw one for ford engine teardown and rebuid online but wasnt sure how good it was...

Are they all pretty decent?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts