Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mutha $Q#(&$(*&#%(# rusty bronco!!!
So I start to change my headers on my bronco about 11 am, finished 1st side 3 am. Now it is 7 am and I am in the office hallucinating from no sleep. So I start off by jacking her up, which was a project as my craftman jack just broke and I did not want to go buy another one as I have been researching them so i can get the best one. I have this other tiny craftsman 2 ton jack that goes up like maybe 15 inches. So i have 4 2 x 4 on the thing to get the truck up, raises it just barely enough to get the tire off the floor, i know not the smartest thing. take off the wheel well which was annoying. Then I start to see if the bolts on the headers will come off. Hit the first one with an impact, right out, second one right out. So I go to disconnect the manifold from the midpipe and those bolts are rusted solid. So much rust that the threads on the bolts are completely gone. Then I notice that I do not have the huge hole in my manifold that i thought. The manifold just seperated from the midpipe because the flange rotted through, so i just waste money on the headers! those bolts strip, i try several strip bolt removers and nothing works. So i decided I have to cut/grind them off. Well it was so tight in there I had to use a dremel cut off wheel because it was small except those cut off wheels are delicate and I must have cracked 10 of them. cut, grind, cut grind...this goes on for about 3 hours and I finally get off one of the bolts, then on to the other one, repeat process. finally get it disconnected after a good 5 hours of grinding.(my grinder sucks) Go to remove the rest of the manifold bolts they all come out with ease except the last fugging bolt, off coarse it is rusted solid so i have to grind that mofo off also. finally get it off and the new header one the passenger side. go to tighten up the flange and forgot it was rotted through and would not tighten, now this is around 2:30 am so I just said screw it, tightened it the best i could and put the truck back together. not it is basically open headers, man my neighbors must have loved me playing musical cars last night at 3 am.
This none stop wrench a thon was inspired by the impending noreaster that was due to hit this morning, WHERE IS THE FREAKING SNOW!!! So i drove the mustang to work!
ps. I wound up buying a sick jack from covins auto parts on one of my several trips there yesterday.

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
no offense dude, but can we get some paragraphs and spaces in that shit? LOL

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,875 Posts
you did soak the header bolts in liquid wrench a couple days prior right. maybe that wouldnt have mattered based on your rusted so bad comment.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you did soak the header bolts in liquid wrench a couple days prior right. maybe that wouldnt have mattered based on your rusted so bad comment.
yeah PB blaster every day for the last 2 weeks or so. yeah it was beyond that, the metal was fused together and there threads on the bolts had rusted off. it was just the 2 exhaust manifold to midpipe bolts and the one on the header that holds the plenum support. the rest came out like butter.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Sounds like you need some better tools... :shrug Seriously, if the jack and grinder suck, throw them away. It's almost better not having a tool, and having to go buy a new one, than having a crappy one to make your life miserable.

You cannot go wrong with any of the Milwaukee or Metabo power tools. I recommend either for Sawzalls and angle grinders. As far as the jacks go, as long as it's not Chinese, you'll have a decent one. I like the old school steel ones with the massive center cylinder and dual slaves on the handle pivot. :rockon A friend of mine has the aluminum Crapsman quick jack, and that thing has almost killed him a few times...though he's not the brightest crayon in the box. :toothless

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
yeah PB blaster every day for the last 2 weeks or so. yeah it was beyond that, the metal was fused together and there threads on the bolts had rusted off. it was just the 2 exhaust manifold to midpipe bolts and the one on the header that holds the plenum support. the rest came out like butter.
That's why you're going back to back out the nuts and replace them with brass, right Halflife ;)

Sorry to hear about your struggle, I can relate. My POS floor jack slows down every job I do

Sixlitre

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i read your post about the brass nuts i think in pepe summit right up. I did not but I am going to do it probably tonight. I have to replace the flange on the passenger side anyhow so they are coming off again. I did not do the drivers side yet, but the disconnected the midpipe with ease so not really worried about that. Yeah I agree the right tools for the job make the job go easy. I spent over $1000 on tools just to do my drop on my lightning correctly. I usually have top of the line stuff. Thought the craftsman jack was top of the line, oh well. This new jack is great, dual piston, 5 pumps to full lift, 19.7 inches of lift and it looks damn sexy and makes my sonic blue lightning! My grinder is actually pretty good, it is snap on, just I think I was using the wrong bit as I never really had to grind anything down. It was the first time I think I actaully used it. I bought it for my lightning drop but decided to drill out the hanger rivets rather then grind them off. So I am chalking it up to inexperience, lack of sleep, and being fat and out of shape.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
So I am chalking it up to inexperience, lack of sleep, and being fat and out of shape.
Guess you're running about average for this board then.

Wishing I had your floor jack !

Sixlitre

p.s./
Coat the threads with anti-seize or synthetic grease, I do

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Damn Mine only took 2 hours
Lol mine too. And that was with inexperience and no prior research. Granted, I had at least some air tools, and most importantly, no rust. ;)

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Hey, I had to MAKE mine. :goodfinge

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
'Cause of the gt40ps?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Yup. :toothless

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Word.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
no snow or ice, but it didn't stop them from salting the hell out of everything.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
no snow or ice, but it didn't stop them from salting the hell out of everything.
Same here. Two or three dipshits drive their plastic cars into a ditch and every goddamn road gets covered in the shit. I swear the road commission guys get paid by the pounds of salt they drop.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Same here. Two or three dipshits drive their plastic cars into a ditch and every goddamn road gets covered in the shit. I swear the road commission guys get paid by the pounds of salt they drop.
Probably subsidized by the big three

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 23 Posts