Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Ford Bronco, Motor 460, Trans C6, Running gear stock, Tires flat 35's
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my Bronco in Oregon 17 years ago when I joined the U.S. Navy. The last time I started it was 1 year later when I was home on leave. Now that I'm in a better place in my life its time to bring it back to life. Join me on this trip. I'm currently doing youtube videos covering this but I was wanting to add some pictures and discussion as well with the build do to my love of photography even though I'm not the best at it. Here are some pictures and links to videos on what I have done so far. I'll try and update each day I'm out in the shop with pictures. I hope you enjoy it.

Video 1 Link -----> Time to Restore it. Ep. 1 You can find the rest of the videos on my channel.

Tomorrow I'm doing some last touch up, on the tailgate glass and then dive into the fuel system.

Attachments

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,519 Posts
Thank you for your service, sir!

I'm diggin the bronco, and the matching pickup bed trailer haha! Looks like a nice 67-72 GM K truck there too.

I have a 78 F150 Ranger in the same condition, albeit a bit worse looking. Some day I'll get to it. Last ran 15 or 16 years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your service, sir!

I'm diggin the bronco, and the matching pickup bed trailer haha! Looks like a nice 67-72 GM K truck there too.

I have a 78 F150 Ranger in the same condition, albeit a bit worse looking. Some day I'll get to it. Last ran 15 or 16 years ago.

Hell yes, bud. Your 78 looks kick ass. I love the sky blue and dents on her. Honestly I really really like trucks and the look of them in that forum. With dirt and moss growing on them from years of setting. It's like a level of patina that you don't get to see on the road. I would say you definitely need to dive into it someday man. oh and the Chevy you can check out a short I made for it here.

Orange Chevy next to my bronco.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,519 Posts
Hah, if you only knew what that truck has been through! It used to pack the track at the local dirt track. Its had the top of an 80ft tall cottonwood fall on it and had a superduty slide into it on the ice, into another cottonwood. I echo your sentiments about the growths on the truck, lol I call it the electric lichen. It's actually a sea foam green, not blue. 351m, np435, np205, factory LS 9" rear and the heavy "3/4 ton" suspension. And lots of rust. It was running, but needed the fuel system replaced. Then I got into high school, and girls, and well, you know the rest.

I'd like to just fix it mechanically and leave the body as is for a while. Pull up to a Camaro or something, and roast their nuts off, while looking like I'm about to fall into 1000 pieces. Not just a sleeper, but like I just came out a Rip Van Winkle nap. Ideally I'd like to stroke it to 400+ inches and I've got a set of 70 or 71 cleveland heads to go on it.

As for the Chevy, I dig it. I thought C trucks were 2wd... was that converted? My pops had a black 64 step side back in the day with a 327 in it. It was the sleeker model without the spare tire cutout. I had visions of it being a pro-street build, but man it was too far gone and barely good for parts.

·
Super Moderator
24,200 Posts
Yo Paper Beats Rock,
Welcome!
Thanks for your Service!
BTW, after seeing your user name and then your Navy service, I had flashbacks of our Navy PBR boats in Vietnam!

Maybe some of this info will help you:
1978 Bronco Dealer Brochure via Indybronco

1978 Bronco Emission Component Location Diagrams via 78brncoxlt

1978 Ford Bronco & Truck Wiring Diagrams by Ford via Bronc Mom @ Demo78 wiring diagram.pdf

1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual via topsig (Ziggy); similar to 78.

1979 Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics
Similar to 78

Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch @ Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop

MANY 78 Parts Break-Out Diagrams by Indybronco (Lula Mae) @ pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

78 351M/400 Engine Exhaust Emission Control Information Decal & Timing by member grovermyson @ Timing - Do I need to do anything ?

C6 Auto Transmission, if equipped, Description & Operation, Adjustments, Diagnosis & Testing (partial), Disassembly & Assembly, Parts Break-Out Diagram, Hydraulic Control System Diagram, Removal & Installation & Specifications @ https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_155464716156516&key=6ed47b392b9edfe394b9e89b72717104&libId=ju70qeuf01000bgv000MAb4isjltc&loc=https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/6-1978-79-bronco-tech/210246-c6-rebuild.html&v=1&opt=true&out=http://www.thedieselfiles.com/Ford/C6%20Automatic%20tranny.pdf&ref=https://www.google.com/&title=C6 Rebuild - Ford Bronco Forum&txt=Description & Operation, Adjustments, Diagnosis & Testing (partial), Disassembly & Assembly, Parts Break-Out Diag...

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes too long to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 installed. Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tilt wheel Diagram, Tire Rack.

For any Bronco issues or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Build section that requires a 30 post count & Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).
So I'll move this thread to Noobie section for more visibility. When you achieve 30 posts here
send me a "Conversation" message and I'll mover this thread back to Build section;

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example:
M How to Use Search
See more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ech-links.html

Try to find time to Participate and VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ F.O.T.M Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Then get ready for the Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.)!

Al

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,080 Posts
Thanks for the years of service keeping us free!! What part of Oregon?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hah, if you only knew what that truck has been through! It used to pack the track at the local dirt track. Its had the top of an 80ft tall cottonwood fall on it and had a superduty slide into it on the ice, into another cottonwood. I echo your sentiments about the growths on the truck, lol I call it the electric lichen. It's actually a sea foam green, not blue. 351m, np435, np205, factory LS 9" rear and the heavy "3/4 ton" suspension. And lots of rust. It was running, but needed the fuel system replaced. Then I got into high school, and girls, and well, you know the rest.

I'd like to just fix it mechanically and leave the body as is for a while. Pull up to a Camaro or something, and roast their nuts off, while looking like I'm about to fall into 1000 pieces. Not just a sleeper, but like I just came out a Rip Van Winkle nap. Ideally I'd like to stroke it to 400+ inches and I've got a set of 70 or 71 cleveland heads to go on it.

As for the Chevy, I dig it. I thought C trucks were 2wd... was that converted? My pops had a black 64 step side back in the day with a 327 in it. It was the sleeker model without the spare tire cutout. I had visions of it being a pro-street build, but man it was too far gone and barely good for parts.
Dude I love of a Rip Van Winkle. That would be great to troll people

As for the Chevy yes it was 2wd and converted to 4wd. We broke in the cam today on it. Damn 2000RPM with open headers in that shop was load as hell.

Thanks for the years of service keeping us free!! What part of Oregon?
We are based out of Rogue River in Southern Oregon.

Yo Paper Beats Rock,
Welcome!
Thanks for your Service!
BTW, after seeing your user name and then your Navy service, I had flashbacks of our Navy PBR boats in Vietnam!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I'll use your vast database of information and make sure to fill out all my information and let you know when I'm up to speed bud.

Again thank you so much.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,080 Posts
If you ever make it to north coast and like to fish I have extra kayaks! Fishing specific sit on tops not the sit in cruisers.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Friggin Greasy...thank you for your service sir.
Love it and keep it coming!
Is that a green and white color scheme? whats the int color/shape?
I'm about to watch all the vids as soon as the kids are bedded.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you ever make it to north coast and like to fish I have extra kayaks! Fishing specific sit on tops not the sit in cruisers.
Hell yes, brother. I'll make sure to hit you up when I'm up around that area.

Friggin Greasy...thank you for your service sir.
Love it and keep it coming!
Is that a green and white color scheme? whats the int color/shape?
I'm about to watch all the vids as soon as the kids are bedded.
Thank you so much. Yes, the bronco is a green and white scheme. I really dig the two-tone and so does my wife.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Not to hijack too much, but here are some old pics of my beloved Rusty... I still give him some love and good rubs and I am dismantleing him for parts now. I love that green in the bright summer sun!
I STILL have the like new rear bench, that is my shop seat about 3 ft away from the truk! It was the first thing I nabbed when the storm came.

Looking forward to more!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to hijack too much, but here are some old pics of my beloved Rusty... I still give him some love and good rubs and I am dismantleing him for parts now. I love that green in the bright summer sun!
I STILL have the like new rear bench, that is my shop seat about 3 ft away from the truk! It was the first thing I nabbed when the storm came.

Looking forward to more!
Wow man, that hurts bad seeing that tree laying across it like that 😢 It does look like it may be rebuildable still though. Sure do wish I was closer to Alabama.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the last few days I have spent a lot time doing the logistics for the youtube channel, but I was able to pull the tank out of the bronco, dump the old fuel and do a little cleanup. I got a bit of a surprise today. So one came by the shop that saw the bronco on the FB group I'm in for 78-79 broncos. It was very cool and he was a wealth of knowledge and was able to tell me a good amount of stuff that I didn't know about the bronco already. I did snap some pictures of the door tags. I have not really broken it down yet but if I'm understanding this correctly this bronco is the 4,034th made? I'm not sure when they started production for the 78s but I'm amazed that it was manufactured 11/77

Here is my fuel tank (33-gallon) after pressure washing a ton of old mud and rust off it. It fell over so got a little dirt back on it. We still need to clean the inside of it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
LOL! good luck with that tank! Half of us try to salvage them and then discover pinhole leaks in the bottom only to pull it out again and replace with new/plastic. Mine actually held gas before removing it, but the tar sealed strap padding was all that was holding the pinholes from leaking. As much of a pain mine was to remove, I'm gald I did because the sending unit was totally trashed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ohh, you should check out Central oregan shenanigans on YT. Couple of younger guys building fords, 78 bronco among one of the current/recents. Much of the same shit I have to deal with fixing things.
Nice I'll check out their channel. Also thanks for the heads up on the fuel tank. I did check out amazon and was amazed that you can pick up a new metal one for around $90 with free delivery. That's crazy and will end up doing that. Looks like the next video will be the fuel pump and maybe rebuilding the carb. We need to start getting the motor back to a good running point. The big deal is I'm waiting on Funding from our house sale. We are in the middle of escrow right now. So I'm just trying to do busy work untell money drops.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,464 Posts
Well this is kinda funny. I'm one of your subs on YouTube. I don't yap there much but ramble for days around here. Just when I gave up trying to help YouTubers find us... one of 'em stumbles into our home. Welcome aboard PBR and TYFYS Sir.

I haven't gone through all your vids yet but plan to eventually. I'm currently in the middle of a torn apart tailgate on my '95 and have got Dad's '78 400 torn down after a head gasket fail and head rebuild. Starting to get warm enough to re-assemble... when I get the other one buttoned up.
I had a laugh about the tag you showed. My Dad has the same manufac. date of '77 and was driving himself crazy trying to order parts for a '77 and wondering why the hell they kept giving him parts that didn't fit. We've never played with the 1st gens, all FSB's for this family... but I got a good laugh before I had to set him back on the right track.

Anyway... nice to see you here. Look forward to watching your build progress properly on the forum. Don't forget to search and read. The forum format is new and I'm not a fan but we've got tons of tech knowledge built up since '03 around here, so click around and learn a lot.

·
Registered
519 Posts
$90 shipped really? Dang, seems like I paid about 250 with shipping and hoses and all that other stuff. The biggest PIA on mine was the fuel filler tube to filler neck connection. I wanna see the $90 tank, I bet its a bitty tank for the '77s or something...

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
$90 shipped really? Dang, seems like I paid about 250 with shipping and hoses and all that other stuff.
I got one off Amazon for my 81 about 2 1/2 years ago, and IIRC it was about $110 w/free shipping and it was delivered in a day or two.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts