Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After casually looking for the last couple years, I found the perfect candidate for starting. It looks a little rough, but the rust is only in the bottom of the tailgate, and rear wheel arches. Plans will be to get it running and driving, then moving on to possibly some bodywork and appearance help. For $390, 3 glass bottle cokes and a pack of Pall Malls, I feel like it was a decent deal.

Also, if anyone has pictures of Medium Copper painted broncos, I would love to see them.

I've posted the Marti report, let me know if any of this stuff is "rare" so to speak. Otherwise it looks about like a pretty neat bronco, originally.

CLICK HERE FOR MARTI REPORT

IMG-1235.jpg

IMG-1277.jpg

IMG-1236.jpg

IMG-1238.jpg

IMG-1240.jpg

IMG-1232.jpg

Attachments

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,346 Posts
Doesn't have much for options, but the 400 is a plus. Its also got a fairly rare NP203 "full time 4x4" transfer case, according to the marti report. The np203 isnt actually full time 4x4. In 4HI, or 4LO, its in All Wheel Drive mode. The transfer case has a limited slip differential on the rear end of it. This generally splits power about 40% to the front axle and 60% to the rear. In 4Hi Lock and 4Lo Lock, that differential on the transfer case locks solid and transfers full power to both axles.

All that being said, someone put lockout hubs on the front axle, which allows you to run in actual 2wd. They should have added a kit to the transfer case that allows this as well. Or maybe they swapped in an NP205.

The NP205 is only about 10" long, and solid iron, whereas the NP203 has an iron gear reduction case and chain case, and an aluminum rear portion that is the AWD differential. Its about 20" long. Neither measurement includes the transmission adapter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heres some more pics after the first round of pressure washing.

-Looks like it still has the NP203.
-It has a front sway bar, was that factory? I didnt see that in the marti report, nice to have non the less.
-The rear quarters are a little beat up, possibly need to be replaced.
------------- Whats the best option for replacing these?
-If you'll notice one of the previous owners decided to shave the drip rails and fill the trim holes. While it doesnt look terrible, IM wondering what it looks like underneath the bondo.
-------------- Whats the best way to get the bondo off?
-Should i be concerned about there being no drip rails?

Broncmom, are those the right color? Ive seen the solid color bronco, but thought it was a different color.

If yall have any suggestions for the clean up process of this, give me your thoughts.

Thanks, Austin

IMG-1296.jpg IMG-1301.jpg IMG-1298.jpg

IMG-1292.jpg IMG-1293.jpg IMG-1291.jpg

And one of my other truck.

IMG-1290.jpg

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,360 Posts
According to this brochure it looks like your original color was 16.
page5.jpg

But since nothing is in the color code slot on your certification label in the door jamb it's guesswork at best given what we can see in the door jambs and hood area. If it really is #16 then it would probably look more like this then the medium Fawn metallic I posted.
cc5aab3c0e0d9af4b052ea5e0e5e302d.jpg

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,346 Posts
Yep, thats the NP203. If you ever decide to swap to a part time transfer case, the range box (front 1/3) is valuable to people making doubler transfer cases. I had to source mine out of a dodge.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,346 Posts
Oh and the tag on the door itself is where the info is at, for color and such. Like this

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, thats the NP203. If you ever decide to swap to a part time transfer case, the range box (front 1/3) is valuable to people making doubler transfer cases. I had to source mine out of a dodge.
The eventual plan calls for a coyote/6r80/atlas or something of that nature. Maybe an ORD magnum box. I dont plan on it being a hardcore offroad truck, but something i can daily drive with good capability if needed.

Oh and the tag on the door itself is where the info is at, for color and such. Like this
Unfortunately the Bronco didn't come with the door tag, which is why i went ahead and did the Marti report.

Here is my Medium Copper 78. Please let me know if you ever decide to part ways with the rear seat.
That looks good!! When/if i decide to do something different with the interior, I will let you know. From what I have seen, the back seat looks damn near perfect.

Does anyone have pointers on top refurbishment? Mine is in good shape, just needs some new caulking at the joints, and possibly a coat of paint.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DAZ::

What does the rest of your interior look like? I'm not to sure how much I like the dash color.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can get some more pics. The interior is coming along. The previous owner took a rear seat out of god knows what and bolted it to the sheet metal floor. I found a replacement seat just like yours for that. The front seats we captains chairs out of some 80's van. I replaced those with a split bench but the inserts are vinyl which is why I am looking for a seat in good shape so that I could use the cloth parts.

I don't like the dash color either but from what I understand it was correct. Ford didn't color match the dash to the rest of the painted interior metal. I have most of my dash components out now redoing some wiring and am very tempted to take out the dash itself and have it painted. Only thing holding me back is really wanting to get it all back together and driving again.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,346 Posts
The eventual plan calls for a coyote/6r80/atlas or something of that nature. Maybe an ORD magnum box. I dont plan on it being a hardcore offroad truck, but something i can daily drive with good capability if needed
Well, just for reference, you can use the range box off your 203, find a ford np205, and buy or make an adapter and shaft to mate them together, giving you ranges of 1:1, 2:1, and 3.98:1. The kit from jeds machine is about 500 bucks.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
454 Posts
Looks like a nice find and sure project, however a lot of work as well.
fulltime 4x4 is more rare than the normal 2h with 4wd and NP205.
apart from that a GT bar would've been nice.

It had never an AC, which gives you a lot of room on the engine bay, as it does not have the BIG black box storing AC evap stuff inside.
I want the same, get rid of that box and free up space.

The low end looks to have some rust as well, take of the cabin and get it blasted and done, to just cure it.

topper: we repainted mine with raptorliner, was no problem at all,
bondo: either you scuff it off or sand blast or wire wheel it away. I would at least put the side chrome back, no race track (pricey) but at least the normal one

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Simrokkzz::

I'm actually glad it didnt come with A/C. I will find an original A/C dash, and install an aftermarket unit. Leaving the Firewall nice and clean, in the engine compartment.

At some point I will be paint stripping the entire truck, until then I will just have to clean up what I currently have. It will also recieve two new rear quarter panels, as these are dented and shot.

The body mold trim will be going back on for sure. Im currently thinking the future paint job will be the original paint, with some sort of strip. I do not want the racetrack trim for this bronco.

Does Raptorliner come in white? Can it be tinted?

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,360 Posts

I'm actually glad it didnt come with A/C. I will find an original A/C dash, and install an aftermarket unit. Leaving the Firewall nice and clean, in the engine compartment.

At some point I will be paint stripping the entire truck, until then I will just have to clean up what I currently have. It will also recieve two new rear quarter panels, as these are dented and shot.

The body mold trim will be going back on for sure. Im currently thinking the future paint job will be the original paint, with some sort of strip. I do not want the racetrack trim for this bronco.

Monstaliner comes in over a dozen colors with roll on or spray on application.I used it in my cargo area in "purple people eater". It looks great. Consistant texture and really durable.
20191012_171734_HDR-1~2.jpg

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
938 Posts

It can be tinted. I too used Raptorliner and tinted it to match.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The more I look over this Bronco, the happier I am. There are veeeerry few spots with rust.
  • lower tailgate
  • the ever so popular fender lip
  • and the little bit in the door posts.
Unfortunately the quarters are nice and dented. Also you will notice where the tire rack bolts up, it is dented and buckled a little bit. Am I going to be better off replacing the entire quarter? Or should I be looking at fender lip patches and hammering out the dents?

The floors are absolutely awesome by the way.

What is my course of action on the door posts? Cut and patch?

I have also included a picture of an intake that came with the BKO. Do yall know what it came off of?

Thanks!

IMG-1358.jpg IMG-1359.jpg IMG-1354.jpg IMG-1360.jpg IMG-1353.jpg IMG-1351.jpg IMG-1357.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts