Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all; new to the Bronco scene, but not new to the car modding world.

I was in the mustang scene for the last 15yrs but they became to much of a garage queen/dust collector and hard to justify to myself keeping them with two small children that couldn’t ride in them.

It all started with a 00GT that I did a full build on, saleen kit, supercharged, big brakes.. then an 03 cobra, onto a Buick T Type, 69 cutlass,then back to a 2012 GT500, sold the gt500 to help fund our in ground pool, I got into a 89 mustang coupe but it sat for almost 2yrs.

Sold off the cars and upgraded my 15 f150 XLT to a 16 Lariat and that kept me fairly happy with small mods.

I’ve always had a love for the full size Bronco since I was a kid and watched a super cheesy(admittedly I still like it haha) Michael douglas movie called Romancing the stone, the star of the movie IMO being a 80’s Bronco.

So the cars are gone, kids are getting a little older and I wanted something fun/different that car seats will fit into, so the logical choice was finally getting a bronco.

Searched and searched for almost 8months in Canada but nothing came up that was decent. The search then went south of the border and it opened up my options . Found this one, originally from Maryland, bought it out of Pittsburgh,

It’s a 95 5.8 with 133k on it, had it shipped to Niagara Falls Ny and met it there and this is where it starts.

Plans are going to keep it fairly stock,just updated.

This winter plans
Desolate stage 1 kit
New rims/rubber
Bassani mid and cat back
Stereo upgrade
Rear cage to protect my babies.

Let’s get started

Here is when I first met my truck

Bronco by mike k, on Flickr

Then it made the 2hr drive home like a champ..
First time in its spot in the garage

First things on the list

Replace headlights
Tail lights
3rd brake light
Get the sun faded roof sprayed black

Headlights were a total pain in the ass! Everything else went smoothly

Added some new NOS emblem

Emblem by mike k, on Flickr

Next thing was to send it in to get it certified for road use, my good friend is a mechanic and I said replace anything that’s even remotely questionable.

So

All new ball joints
New mile marker hubs
Serviced front brakes
New drums
New shoes and hardware
Wheel cylinders
And parking brake cables
A couple U joints in the front and one closest to the diff
Greased up the driveshaft to shut it up a little.
While it was in there my friend was teasing me about 1 wheel peel rear end so we solved that by putting in a new limited slip rear.

Drove it for a month problem free then one morning took it out for coffee and noticed spot on garage floor, didn’t think much of it (old vehicles tend to develop leaks) grabbed coffee and on the way home lost power steering, the seal on steering box let go and puked all its fluid out.

Untitled by mike k, on Flickr

So I picked up a reman steering box and spend the day swearing at the pitman arm that didn’t want to release 🙂 flushed the p/s with ATF and it’s quiet as a mouse.

Next step I wanted to do was update the Center console, called a local wrecker and picked up a 2008 f150 console, a little scratched up so I sanded it down and resprayed in charcoal grey (wish it was darker now, will probably re do in the spring)

A little trimming to the front, drilled 3 holes in the bottom of the f150 console and used the 3 factory holes... perfect!

That’s where I’m at now, just ordered
MSD Coil
Ford racing 9mm wires
MSD cap/rotor
Motorcraft fuel filter

Going to do the notorious 6LTR tune up

Just need plugs.

Will update as I go.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
Yo,
In event you can"t open this thread or post again here, contact me or another moderstor or admadministrator because this build section usually requires att lease 30 non-padded posts to enter.

·
Premium Member
3,269 Posts
howdy! Please embed the pics in the thread. there's no way anyone is going to click on all those links to load a new page to see what you're up to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
howdy! Please embed the pics in the thread. there's no way anyone is going to click on all those links to load a new page to see what you're up to.
Was just trying to figure out how to do to that, and totally understand I get annoyed clicking over to pics too haha.

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
Sorry about that Miesk, you can delete for now no problem. I can repost in a few weeks.
Yo,
Carry on, our Help Desk group will need to get the post count restrictions fixed.
Take time to embed pics as dash_cam advised.:thumbup

·
Premium Member
3,269 Posts
if posting from your computer, there's a button that will insert image. it will pop up with a textbox and you enter the picture's URL .

or....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a delivery waiting for me at the door from Summit racing earlier in the week, had some garage time last night so I got installing!

MSD coil
MSD cap and rotor
Ford racing 9mm wires
autolite plugs

Also picked up a gently used K&N intake, was meant for a MAF equipped truck so I had to mod it to fit my rig.

ordered up a 4" maf adapter and a 3.5"-4" coupler, fit like a glove!

I noticed a huge improvement! I got on throttle a little heavy tonight and it actually spun tire!

this could be why.. a lot of corrosion in the cap and on the rotor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you overgap the plugs too?
I was going to originally, but my friend who is a mechanic is gone for the week and I got impatient and started installing parts.

Ive never adjusted timing on a vehicle before and a bit apprehensive about attempting on my own.

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,500 Posts
I was going to originally, but my friend who is a mechanic is gone for the week and I got impatient and started installing parts.

Ive never adjusted timing on a vehicle before and a bit apprehensive about attempting on my own.

:thumbup Yeah I little more gap and 2-3° more advance should help out a little, from what I hear. I haven’t done it yet, but it’s on my list.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
found these seats listed on local classifieds cheap out of an 06 f150, not super keen on the factory bronco seats so these will be a reasonably priced upgrade.

they will need a good cleaning, and if i like them ill have them re covered in leather when i do the interior.

hoping to make use of the Bronco mounts to simplify install, any suggestions?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not much going on other than parts collecting. Picked up some factory fiberglass side steps off an extended cab f150 that I’ll modify and paint matched.

I was having some cold start issues, my buddy suspected it was IAC causing issue.

Gave it a good cleaning and problem solved.

Ordered a new IAC as mine was pretty corroded anyways and gummed up.

Also to be installed

New EGR valve
TPS sensor
Thermostat and new outlet
Coolant switch
2 coolant sensors
Vapour canister purge valve.

Also need to track down an exhaust leak, hoping it’s not at the manifolds!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Man that thing is purty 🍿

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,751 Posts
:thumbup Yeah I little more gap and 2-3° more advance should help out a little, from what I hear. I haven’t done it yet, but it’s on my list.
You don't want to advance the timing on the 5.8L (351W). Over-gap fine, but don't advance the timing to 13º. You'll get pinging unlike the greater performance gained on the 302 by advancing the timing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Few days worth of bloodied knuckles and a bunch of swearing but this round of upkeep is installed! EGR valve tube didn’t want to loosen so I thought more leverage would do it...nope! I broke the casting of the old EGR and snapped the egr tube.

Did some searching on the site and someone suggested using crow foot wrench set for removing the egr tube from manifold, it worked like a charm so great advice on this site! Replaced all the temp sensors in hopes of fixing my temp gauge but no luck, no it doesn’t seem to be moving at all.. argh.

I have new housing and thermostat that needs install but after the experience I’ve had over last few days breaking bolts, I’m going to leave that to my buddy to do when it goes in for service next.

Ordered a bunch of small housing 194 LEDs for the cluster and hvac, quick process of removing gauges and swapping them out, makes a big difference in illuminating the dash.

Just need to pick up a new battery this week (date code is 2014, probably on borrowed time) and I think that will be it for a few months (hopefully) while I stock pile parts for the spring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts